amuck-landowner

100TB a month challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

nunim

VPS Junkie
... I did a wget cron for a 2GB speedtest file, every minute. Got to 1.66TB before my VPS mysteriously stopped working. According to a support ticket it got compromised and was participating in a DDoS ...
Did you own the machine that is hosting the SpeedTest file?

shovenose

Verified Provider
Did you own the machine that is hosting the SpeedTest file?
I'll happily buy a hosting plan with the company that was hosting the speedtest server - that company does offer an unlimited bandwidth plan for $20.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Last I checked, DoS attacks were illegal in the United States.
While a ridiculous waste of resources, wget-ing a single file from a SpeedTest network repeatedly is not a 'DOS'.  That's the excuse you use to justify terminating a stupid client after realizing you've bitten off WAY more than you can chew.  Hence why you no longer offer the plan at all.

Here's a tip - if you don't want users to download a file at high enough speeds to piss off daddy Biloh, PLACE A CAP.  Next you're going to try and claim that Mun was 'instigating a DDoS' by seeding legal torrents.

shovenose

Verified Provider
While a ridiculous waste of resources, wget-ing a single file from a SpeedTest network repeatedly is not a 'DOS'.  That's the excuse you use to justify terminating a stupid client after realizing you've bitten off WAY more than you can chew.  Hence why you no longer offer the plan at all.

Here's a tip - if you don't want users to download a file at high enough speeds to piss off daddy Biloh, PLACE A CAP.  Next you're going to try and claim that Mun was 'instigating a DDoS' by seeding legal torrents.
Thank you! If GVH had not had the riduclous 100TB lie of an offer nobody (not me, not anybody else) would have even tried this.

nunim

VPS Junkie
I'll happily buy a hosting plan with the company that was hosting the speedtest server - that company does offer an unlimited bandwidth plan for $20.
So... No?  If you owned the box hosting the file I'd be defending you but you were not only wasting GVH resources, which I guess was the idea, you were also wasting the resources of the speedtest server.

I still wouldn't call it a DOS attack, just moronic. 

Mun

Never Forget
Thank you! If GVH had not had the riduclous 100TB lie of an offer nobody (not me, not anybody else) would have even tried this.
A guy said If I took a gun and shot him in the head he wouldn't die..... I didn't believe him so I shot him in the head.... sadly now I am in prison for the rest of my life because I was an idiot, and shot a guy in the head knowing it would kill him.

q_q

Shovenose

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Since when was downloading a 2GB test file with the server owner's consent illegal? Just wondering.

You're forgetting that Jon also thinks it is illegal for a customer to entitle a thread "GreenValueHost (not very knowledgable)"

Mr Shove not too wisely wasted resources (not to mention using an incredibly insecure password), but what he did was in no way, shape, or form a DoS attack.

denial of service attacks for dummies

but you were not only wasting GVH resources
The contract Mr Shove entered into with GVH entitled him to use 100TB of bandwidth monthly.  He only used 1.6% of the amount he paid for.  If Jon is engaging in false advertising by advertising 100TB and then not allowing people to use what they paid for (or altering the terms of the contract after the customer paid) then he should be reported to the FTC.  It's not a violation of the law to download a file with the owner's consent, but it is a violation of consumer protection laws to engage in deceptive/false advertising.

Hxxx

I guess that what Mr. Shove needed to do is have a VPS at GVH and one with another company that offers the same plan (if any), then transmit the file back and forward between his own 2 VPS  using openVPN. That is for sure NOT a DoS of any kind. Both of your VPS are yours. ;)

shovenose

Verified Provider
I guess that what Mr. Shove needed to do is have a VPS at GVH and one with another company that offers the same plan (if any), then transmit the file back and forward between his own 2 VPS  using openVPN. That is for sure NOT a DoS of any kind. Both of your VPS are yours. ;)
Would have been smart. Or got a server at Wholesale internet which is unmetered. But I wasn't about to sink $50 into something. I shouldn't have to pay $50 to use a $5 VPS.

Hxxx

Would have been smart. Or got a server at Wholesale internet which is unmetered. But I wasn't about to sink $50 into something. I shouldn't have to pay $50 to use a $5 VPS.
But its worth. Remember the iPad! That's over $300.00

GVH-Jon

Banned
You're forgetting that Jon also thinks it is illegal for a customer to entitle a thread "GreenValueHost (not very knowledgable)"

Mr Shove not too wisely wasted resources (not to mention using an incredibly insecure password), but what he did was in no way, shape, or form a DoS attack.

denial of service attacks for dummies

The contract Mr Shove entered into with GVH entitled him to use 100TB of bandwidth monthly.  He only used 1.6% of the amount he paid for.  If Jon is engaging in false advertising by advertising 100TB and then not allowing people to use what they paid for (or altering the terms of the contract after the customer paid) then he should be reported to the FTC.  It's not a violation of the law to download a file with the owner's consent, but it is a violation of consumer protection laws to engage in deceptive/false advertising.
Do you think the owner consents to shovenose downloading that file repeatedly if they sent in an abuse report to ColoCrossing?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
OK, that makes more sense....

One machine doing wget on 2gb file every mine is DDoS.... Do you know what DDoS is?

facepalms

DDoS is Distrubuted Denial of Service, where more than one machine / server is perticipating in a attack.

DOS is a single machine.

facepalms
Shove was DoS'ing a speed test file.   Missed the first D for distributed.   He needed a GVH VPS in a second geographic location to achieve that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner