amuck-landowner

100TB a month challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

willie

As mentioned earlier you'd have to transfer at 300mbit/sec 24/7 for the whole month, to use up 100TB.  I've never seen a VPS that could transfer at that speed, except possibly downloading from a CDN egress that was right there in the same data center (the usual cachefly test).  If someone can report here that these GVH VPSes can transfer outbound at that speed for even 5 minutes let alone a whole month, I'll be pretty impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
As mentioned earlier you'd have to transfer at 300mbit/sec 24/7 for the whole month, to use up 100TB.  I've never seen a VPS that could transfer at that speed, except possibly downloading from a CDN egress that was right there in the same data center (the usual cachefly test).  If someone can report here that these GVH VPSes can transfer at that speed for even 5 minutes let alone a whole month, I'll be pretty impressed.
Get lots of them

willie

Get lots of them
That would be 100tb each then.  Same issue.

I think of setting up a VOIP switch for private voice chat. All clients would run 24/7 to prevent traffic analysis.  Not too much cpu since it's just UDP streams being cross-routed through an in-memory lookup table: all encryption is done at the endpoints.  2400 clients at 64 kbps full duplex (i.e. each client uses 8 kbyte/sec upstream and another 8k downstream) and there's the 100TB.  How's that?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Now Willie that is just wasting resources :)  Even though I disagree with that vague rule, it has some merits.

willie

You mean running all the clients full time?  That's very standard practice on military radio networks.  You don't want the opponent to be able to know who is talking when or to who.  It definitely needs doing in the current regime of pervasive internet monitoring. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Now I get it :) Oh yeah very legitimate..  Funny as all heck...

Been doing similar thing for literally decades over wireless transmissions and over umm analog wire lines....  Ho hum... didn't realize.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
As mentioned earlier you'd have to transfer at 300mbit/sec 24/7 for the whole month, to use up 100TB.  I've never seen a VPS that could transfer at that speed, except possibly downloading from a CDN egress that was right there in the same data center (the usual cachefly test). 
Fastest day I've seen there something like this:

150 Mbit/s+ over the 24 hour period.

willie

Fastest day I've seen there something like this:

150 Mbit/s+ over the 24 hour period.
That's still faster than any vps I've ever used by quite a large margin.  This is that $5/month product?  If yes it's impressive.  But there's no way to use up 100tb/mo.

The 250GB of disk is also interesting though I guess not insane in the same way as the purported ram and bw allocations.  But, there is more angst involved with storage plans, since you can lose a lot of data if the host deadpools.

GVH-Jon

Banned
That's still faster than any vps I've ever used by quite a large margin.  This is that $5/month product?  If yes it's impressive.  But there's no way to use up 100tb/mo.

The 250GB of disk is also interesting though I guess not insane in the same way as the purported ram and bw allocations.  But, there is more angst involved with storage plans, since you can lose a lot of data if the host deadpools.
It's impossible for us to deadpool.

As you guys said, "We're backed by the CC mafia" right?

In all seriousness though, it's really impossible for us to deadpool so nobody has anything to worry about.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
That's a really, really ballsy claim to make with no proof to back it up.

Seriously, if you want assholes like me to stop reaming you a new one, you should either give some solid backing to this idiocy, or stop making claims you can't possibly maintain.

SrsX

Banned
It's impossible for us to deadpool.

As you guys said, "We're backed by the CC mafia" right?

In all seriousness though, it's really impossible for us to deadpool so nobody has anything to worry about.
impossible, give me 7 days on a VPS and we'll see what happens.

Little bit of fun and you could have the good ol' police knocking at your door ;)

ChrisK

Verified Provider
Can you please provision my order

@GVH-Jon

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner