amuck-landowner

Any Ruby fans?

bizzard

So, anyone here use Ruby or RoR? I have been hearing a lot about it, and many suggested me to have a look, as its easy to code. But, I just went through the basics and put it there.

I have tried deploying ruby apps, mostly diaspora and gitorious. Diaspora wasn't that hard, but never got gitorious working. I am not really understanding the concept of ruby gems or maybe PHP and Python does almost all things for me.

Haven't heard much about ruby or ruby based apps here. Maybe people are just keeping silent about it.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
wlanboy does, I believe. I think he's done a couple scripts for vpsB that are in Ruby. I'd pick at his brain a bit.

I used to play around with 'Hackety Hack' ( http://hackety.com/  ) which introduced me to Ruby. But at the time I was also doing, 'Learn Python the Hard Way' and other stuff so never really sat down and put a lot of focus towards Ruby.

peterw

Ruby was a hype but a lot developers moved to node.js or python. If you want to learn a new language use python or node.js.

shunny

I am preferring Python these days. Ruby is not really good when it comes to scaling. I have seen it be a really really bad PITA

wlanboy

Content Contributer
So, anyone here use Ruby or RoR?

Haven't heard much about ruby or ruby based apps here. Maybe people are just keeping silent about it.
Hands up. I am using Ruby and really enjoying it.

My cronjobs, the web and twitter crawler, my entire webpage is based on Ruby.

Scalability is possible and Ruby does have advantages and disadvantages like any other language too.

Ruby and Phyton are high level, garbage collected and dynamically typed languages.

Both provide an interactive shell and libraries.

Both feel light (fun to work with) because of the dynamic flavor.

Looking to the history of both I can say that they have a lot in common:

Ruby inherits from Smalltalk and Perl - like Smalltalk methods return self - like Perl it provides shortcuts. Ruby supports the Smalltalk idea of method calls as messages. You can even do object.send 'methodname'. That's the glue of Ruby and the reason for the "easy to use". It is a message and therefore the runtime decides if it is an method call or not. In the backend a lot of libs (gems) are wrappers of GNU libs. So Ruby can be very fast if the native extensions are in use.

I think that Rubys core philosophy is all about "there is more than one way to do it - take the one that suits you".

Python inherits from the Algol language family, specifically the Abc language and Modula Three. It can use objects but you can programm the functional way too. It provides a fair number of features from the Lisp family - especially for applying functions to lists. All about lexical closures, iterators and generators (from Icon language).

I think Pythons core philosophy is that "there should be one - and only one - obvious way to do it" - the functional approach.

2 cents:

I like both.

BuyCPanel-Kevin

Verified Provider
I got so sick and tired of HTML at one point that I looked into Ruby on rails at one point, personally it was a worse experience then HTML.

zzrok

I got so sick and tired of HTML at one point that I looked into Ruby on rails at one point, personally it was a worse experience then HTML.
Umm...ok.  One of those is a markup language and the other is a programming language, so I'm not sure how you are comparing them. :unsure:

Cloudrck

Verified Provider
@BuyCPanel-Kevin:

I would imagine since they serve two different purposes. One is a client-side mark-up language and the other is a server-side language.

I work with Ruby for web applications at the moment. I may port some of my Python computer software to Ruby. As I don't know how I feel about Pythons forced formatting.

Last edited by a moderator:

wlanboy

Content Contributer
I am preferring Python these days. Ruby is not really good when it comes to scaling. I have seen it be a really really bad PITA
Hope you do not want any webscale features in Ruby...

Don't like those general statements.

TSS - Conor

Verified Provider
I've never liked Ruby; mostly due to the syntax... but like all programming languages; we have our favorites!

threz

twitter got issue with ruby right? its not ror issue but ruby?
Yeah, they've switched away from Ruby in their back-end. I'm not sure, but I think they still use Ruby and RoR for their interface. 

When you get as large as Twitter/Facebook/etc... no general framework is going to be as good as writing your own custom software, which is what they've done. 

Raymii

Yeah, they've switched away from Ruby in their back-end. I'm not sure, but I think they still use Ruby and RoR for their interface. 

When you get as large as Twitter/Facebook/etc... no general framework is going to be as good as writing your own custom software, which is what they've done. 
Twitter now has something written in Scala (Java) right?

If you want to learn rails and build your own microblogging site, this is a very good tutorial/book: http://ruby.railstutorial.org/ruby-on-rails-tutorial-book

stim

I used to do all my scripting in Perl, but I switched to Ruby and haven't looked back. It is both succint and powerful. I find the syntax less of a barrier for me personally. It's also MUCH easier to debug.

My needs are fairly basic though - mostly I'm just collecting and mining gobs of data from d'internet, sorting, storing, printing and mailing reports.

It's amazing what you can achieve in 10 lines of Ruby code.

There is a really nice web-based tutorial. If that doesn't pique your interest, it probably isn't the language for you.

http://tryruby.org

Last edited by a moderator:

NodePacket

Verified Provider
Well, I've used ruby once for a rails application that exported data and wasn't the biggest fan. I haven't used it since. 

amuck-landowner