amuck-landowner

ARIN Stock Changes Feb 2014 - Down to 1.38

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
I am wondering if ARIN is going to find another big chunk laying around to chop and dice like they did a week or two ago....
IANA still has some space to give out, so it's likely some of that space is chopped up.

qps

Verified Provider
Only /23 and /24s left in the pool.

REMAINING IPV4 INVENTORY

Discrete Block Size (CIDR) Number of Blocks Available 

/23 101

/24 439

Last edited by a moderator:

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Haha who got the last blocks? Interesting to see ARIN having 6 digits in their countdown (0.00978).

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
IANA still has some space to give out, so it's likely some of that space is chopped up.
Remember, while they have /15's and such in there, all RIR's get an equal share. ARIN did a webinar a few weeks ago and they said it was something like a /13 or so was expected.

As @qps mentioned to me, while there is a waiting list, if Time Warner or Frontier are on that list already, they'll eat the whole thing.

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
Remember, while they have /15's and such in there, all RIR's get an equal share. ARIN did a webinar a few weeks ago and they said it was something like a /13 or so was expected.

As @qps mentioned to me, while there is a waiting list, if Time Warner or Frontier are on that list already, they'll eat the whole thing.

Francisco

After thinking about it a bit more, I looked again at the IANA reclaimed pool.  There aren't too many large contiguous blocks in there.  IANA is likely to hand ARIN a few blocks that add up to the /13.  The way I read it, one waiting list request equals one block.  So even if they are given a aggregate of a /13 by IANA, it will be a mix smaller of blocks.  So, there's a decent chance if you are at the top of the waiting list that you will get something.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
After thinking about it a bit more, I looked again at the IANA reclaimed pool.  There aren't too many large contiguous blocks in there.  IANA is likely to hand ARIN a few blocks that add up to the /13.  The way I read it, one waiting list request equals one block.  So even if they are given a aggregate of a /13 by IANA, it will be a mix smaller of blocks.  So, there's a decent chance if you are at the top of the waiting list that you will get something.
Right, check the below post where I wrote a quick script to parse the recovery data. Technically each should get a /13, and thankfully it isn't a contiguous /13, meaning timewarner/frontier can't swoop the whole thing.

Did a few lines of scripting this morning to get a tally.

<?php

$total = 0;

$rows = explode("\n", file_get_contents('iana.txt'));

foreach($rows as $row) {

$row = explode("\t", $row);

$total += ip2long($row[1]) - ip2long($row[0]);

}

echo $total;

?>
The spare pool has 2,128,008 addresses spare, which means on September 1st each region will get another /13. One of the regions is going to get just shy of a /13, i'd assume AFRINIC will get all but a /24 or something since they have so much spare space.
Francisco

trueman1

Verified Provider
Most Providers keeping ip's even if they don't need them because they know that ip's in running out,

many provider also lease there it's - so they get paid for that.

so you know the truth way ip's is running out

qps

Verified Provider
Frontier is the official winner of ARIN IPv4 exhaustion.  They got 3x /16 blocks an /18 block and 2x /19 blocks today.

Add 172.95.0.0-172.95.255.255

Add 172.108.0.0-172.108.255.255

Add 172.109.0.0-172.109.255.255

Add 172.99.32.0-172.99.63.255

Add 172.102.32.0-172.102.63.255

Add 172.102.64.0-172.102.127.255

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
No, these were pending requests that were assigned today.  I updated my post - it seems like they cleared out more than what I originally thought.
They've been merging some subnets, or, they had pending requests from the /13 that disappeared in a couple days.

Down to:

/23 59
/24 437
Out of /23's by the end of the week maybe? I suspect they'll aggregate whatever /24's they can to form the /23, but still, we're right on track for end of July for full exhaustion.
Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
But it's going to be July exhaustion :)  Oh wait it's July today....  

ARIN right now must be super small allocations and long gaps between such.  Anyone looking at the dole outs actively in past week (I haven't).

Only way they make it deep into July with ranges left is by withholding and dragging it out.

qps

Verified Provider
We got our officer attestation on a /17 yesterday.  So far there is no mention that the request cannot be filled or that we will be put on a waiting list.

rds100

Verified Provider
I consider it exhausted already, there are only /23s and /24s left.

It will take some time to burn these /23s and /24s because now ARIN must ask everyone who asked for more than a /23 "would you like to get a /23, or would you like to wait until that abstract time in the future when we have a larger subnet available?". All this "ask question / wait for an answer" game will take some time.

With around 500 subnets left they would need to assign 25 or more per day to run them all before the end of July, and they currently assign less than this per day.

qps

Verified Provider
I consider it exhausted already, there are only /23s and /24s left.

It will take some time to burn these /23s and /24s because now ARIN must ask everyone who asked for more than a /23 "would you like to get a /23, or would you like to wait until that abstract time in the future when we have a larger subnet available?". All this "ask question / wait for an answer" game will take some time.

With around 500 subnets left they would need to assign 25 or more per day to run them all before the end of July, and they currently assign less than this per day.

On that Frontier request I mentioned, they assigned multiple blocks since there weren't larger blocks available.  I wonder if they are doing that for anyone else, or if Frontier gets special treatment.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
On that Frontier request I mentioned, they assigned multiple blocks since there weren't larger blocks available.  I wonder if they are doing that for anyone else, or if Frontier gets special treatment.
Given the work Frontier is doing they likely arranged a deal before hand to make sure the territory transfer went unhindered.

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
Given the work Frontier is doing they likely arranged a deal before hand to make sure the territory transfer went unhindered.

Francisco
Considering that the deal you are referring to doesn't even have regulatory approvals yet and the merger has not closed, their justification was shaky.  What if one or more of the states don't approve or the deal doesn't close for some reason?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Considering that the deal you are referring to doesn't even have regulatory approvals yet and the merger has not closed, their justification was shaky.  What if one or more of the states don't approve or the deal doesn't close for some reason?
11708027_10152843189021290_5418574469474327316_o.png

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
Due to depletion of ARIN's IPv4 free pool, we do not have a free block large enough to fill your request. Please note that current policy requires ARIN to fill your request with a single block; thus ARIN is unable to fulfill your request with multiple smaller blocks. Please review the following three options carefully and respond to this ticket informing ARIN with which option you would like to proceed. You may only elect a single option. 
____ 

OPTION 1: Accept Largest Available Block 

At the time of this message, the largest block size remaining in the ARIN IPv4 free pool is a /23. 

We have placed a block of this size on temporary hold for your organization. You have 30 days to confirm whether your organization will accept this block size to fulfill your IPv4 request. Note that if you accept this block size, your organization will be unable to request additional IPv4 addresses for a three-month period. 

If you will accept this block size, please respond with "ACCEPT" in your reply to ARIN. If you fail to respond to this ticket before this 30-day period expires, OPTION 1 will no longer be available to your organization. 

____ 

OPTION 2: ARIN's IPv4 Waiting List 

If you choose not to accept the block size that has been temporarily placed on hold for your organization, you have the option to be added to ARIN's IPv4 Waiting List. As IPv4 addresses become available, requests on the IPv4 Waiting List will be filled on a first-approved basis subject to the size of each available IPv4 block and a timely re-validation of your organization's justified need. Note that since the availability of IPv4 addresses is unpredictable, we cannot guarantee if/when your request will be filled should you opt to be added to the IPv4 Waiting List. You can find more information about ARIN's IPv4 Waiting List at the URL below: 

https://www.arin.net/resources/request/waiting_list.html 

Full text of the policy is available at the URL below: 

https://www.arin.net/policy/nrpm.html#four18 

If you would like to be added to ARIN's IPv4 Waiting List, please respond with "WAITING LIST" in your reply to ARIN and provide the smallest block size your organization is willing to accept to fill your request. 

____ 

OPTION 3: Close Ticket 

If you opt not to accept the block that has been temporarily placed on hold for your organization and do not wish to be placed on ARIN's IPv4 Waiting List, please indicate "CLOSE" in your reply to ARIN. We will close this IPv4 request ticket with no further action. 

____ 

amuck-landowner