amuck-landowner

BlueVM and the great labor rights of exploiting labor

Enterprisevpssolutions

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
As always, I likely have socks older than the average "employee", "helper", "free labor", et. al. in these companies.

1-2 years is something, short of an associates degree in reality.   Even if a fast learner, I never understand how many of these folks balance their education with such long work hours.... Especially when doing it for ahh, free.

Real companies don't pull these rackets.  Even the interns are paid a stipend.
Those are some old socks LOL  :popcorn:  I need a good laugh sometimes.

Ishaq

Verified Provider
Aha, another BlueVM thread. Sweet!

Yes, I did leave or 'step down' as manager. However I was never a volunteer and received a 3 figured sum every few weeks.

I'm now on hourly pay at Arvixe.

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
[..]  However I was never a volunteer and received a 3 figured sum every few weeks.

I'm now on hourly pay at Arvixe.
For the amount of work you did it should have be a good 4 figures. At least you found a more suitable arrangement :)

TheHackBox

Well, time for a little bit of opinion from me. I personally like BlueVM as they provide decent service with a decent price tag. However, I am a bit leery about having a volunteer have access to Feathur or WHMCS. I know that Justin gives everyone a NDA but still I think there is potential for someone to do bad.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Well, time for a little bit of opinion from me. I personally like BlueVM as they provide decent service with a decent price tag. However, I am a bit leery about having a volunteer have access to Feathur or WHMCS. I know that Justin gives everyone a NDA but still I think there is potential for someone to do bad.
Now take that unease and multiply it by "some of our staff are teenagers" and you have Green Value Host.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Im the owner of a rather large company but I don't pay myself so am I a volunteer? 
What is 'large'? The only large company I know of in the VPS industry would be, like, Burst.NET.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
What is 'large'? The only large company I know of in the VPS industry would be, like, Burst.NET.
Duh! The provider in my signature link controls over 50% of the market! (and they've accomplished it despite having their latest shilled offer pulled from SlickDeals last week and their URL permanently banned from SD a few days ago) :p

Puts on serious face: DigitalOcean is in the VPS industry and would definitely qualify as big now.  Even my favorite cloud provider CloudVPS would be considered big next to the average LEB "giant" (they have 22 employees on payroll working in their office...not contractors/volunteers reporting to a kid in his parent's basement)

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
Linode has 50+ employees.

Many big players (e.g. Verio) that may sell jillions of VPSes but do many other things.

peterw

This can happen with paid people too. Priority ability for a boss is knowledge of human nature.

HaitiBrother

So, am I just missing something? What is wrong with people volunteering their time to a company? If they want to volunteer, let them.

SPINIKR-RO

Verified Provider
Theres a difference between a nonpay 'intern' and a volunteer/intern who puts in more time that they should.

Lawsuit waiting to happen claiming they were a employee. Plus why the eff would you trust a non employee with your assets.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Theres a difference between a nonpay 'intern' and a volunteer/intern who puts in more time that they should.

Lawsuit waiting to happen claiming they were a employee. Plus why the eff would you trust a non employee with your assets.
Lawsuits from unpaid interns/volunteers are a concern, but in the case of individuals who work as paid contractors the IRS is also a concern because the IRS has a fuzzy dividing line between what it considers an independent contractor and an employee.  If a contractor works exclusively for one company and is putting in 30-40 hour work weeks for that company there is a chance the IRS will consider that contractor an employee and nail the company for not withholding payroll taxes.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

^--- this is spot on.

Listen, internships are basically apprenticeships.   It is someone working under other folks who are experienced.

Intern:

n. A student or a recent graduate undergoing supervised practical training

Supervised and training... and student or recent graduate....  Oh yeah and practical...

Calling what folks do in these companies internships is DISHONEST.

Calling these people volunteers, yeah I can see that schtick.  Yeah they can be volunteers I guess....  Normally volunteers do nothing involving data and account details.  That's mucky yucky.

It's sad that people think their time is worth nothing.
I doubt they think their time is worth nothing. They wouldn't be doing it if they felt like they were getting nothing out of it.

There are plenty of unpaid interns in a wide variety of companies -- not limited to hosting.

The idea is that you gain experience, knowledge and a employment reference for future endeavors.

For the record, we do not use unpaid interns or volunteers.

trewq

Verified Provider
There are plenty of unpaid interns in a wide variety of companies -- not limited to hosting.

The idea is that you gain experience, knowledge and a employment reference for future endeavors.
Except someone is profiting from them. I'm not saying people shouldn't volunteer, I do. The difference is I would only ever volunteer for a non profit organisation.

amuck-landowner