amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces Europe, Anycast IP's, Floating IP's, & Bandwidth pooling!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Vegas is like 3ms from LA :p

We've sniffed around Seattle and a few places like that but filtering becomes an issue.

I might have a solution to that soon, though..... :)

I think the anycast stuff is pretty cool. Again, you'd be looking at around $20/month for a redundant anycast cluster over 3 DC's with 6TB of outbound and unmetered inbound. Need filtering? It becomes a massive $25/month. Similar products are $20/month initial, $0.50/GB of outbound transit, and $xxx for 20gbit of protection. Jeeeeesus Christ.

Launching new locations is going to be a slow thing with anycast. Remember, since we're not backhauling we'd be more or less forcing money out of people every time we open a new location to have it. Backhauling isn't a terrible idea but it'd be a pain in the butt to backhaul 500mbit to another DC because a $15/year VPS customer didn't want to buy another POP.

Remember, we always work on the basis of being as fair as possible with customers. We originally thought about charging $1.00/month for an anycast IP but felt it'd be far more fair just to include it for free, especially if a customer is already commiting to at least 3 services with us. Whenever we plan things we always take into consideration if current customers will feel unloved or new ones not getting as much as the old ones. That's why you'll almost always see us push things retroactive.

As for a managed solution, maybe, but probably not under the BuyVM name.

Francisco

Reactions: Dan

willie

I thought the closest similar product was something like vr.org that cost hundreds/month :).  I've been looking into ways to do it with OVH/Cloudflare and that's more in the $20 range but limited.  Hmm yeah I see what you mean about opening new locations.  But, if the other end of the anycast was just a proxy app rather than a full vps, it could be very cheap, and it would be up to the user to direct it to however many VPS he wanted to buy.

The idea of another west US location is to have more nearby redundancy.  Latency to LV isn't an issue really.

I thought of the managed proxy as being something like your shared hosting, i.e. a single application that you deploy and operate, with actually fewer issues of user scripts running amuck since the user wouldn't get to run their own programs.  It would be on its own node to keep it from being affected by user apps as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

willie

Added: it occurs to me that the other end of the anycast IP doesn't even have to be a proxy.  It can be a virtual host that just serves a redirect to a known working vps from the user-configured list, and that's enough most of the time.  So it could be super cheap.  The point of anycast is just to decrease interruptions compared with round robin dns when a server is out, due to dns caches and ttl. 

Are you going to allow anycast pointing to your existing $5/y shared hosting plans instead of vps?  That would be overkill for this redirect scheme, but would make it easy for the user to set up by himself.  It would economize a bit at your end, by decreasing the number of unique ip's needed for a user to run virtual hosts at all 3 sites.

willie

Added: it occurs to me that the other end of the anycast IP doesn't even have to be a proxy.  It can be a virtual host that just serves a redirect to a known working vps from the user-configured list, and that's enough most of the time.  So it could be super cheap.  The point of anycast is just to decrease interruptions compared with round robin dns when a server is out, due to dns caches and ttl. 

Are you going to allow anycast pointing to your existing $5/y shared hosting plans instead of vps?  That would be overkill for this redirect scheme, but would make it easy for the user to set up by himself.  It would economize a bit at your end, by decreasing the number of unique ip's needed for a user to run virtual hosts at all 3 sites.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
You just HAD to go and spend my money for me didn't you.

Ugh, now I have to buy some of these. God damnit fran

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Anycast IP available in central europe, west cost, east cost?

And

All anycast IP addresses will be completely free assuming you have services in all 3 of our locations.
Heck this is fantastic!

And Bandwidth pooling which is was my main concern about having several locations.

A scenario where you pay for bandwidth you are not using and bandwidth you have to buy on top on a populated location.

Really well made package - technical and financial.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Fransico, my body is ready.

Usually this means something else when I say it :p

(Spoiler is NSFW - you were warned)

mybodyisready.gif

alexh

Vegas is like 3ms from LA :p

We've sniffed around Seattle and a few places like that but filtering becomes an issue.
I'd love to see a west-coast location other than Vegas, but Anycast sounds exciting. Seattle to me is ~12 ms while both LA and Vegas are over 40. Congratulations and great job! 

amuck-landowner