amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces Europe, Anycast IP's, Floating IP's, & Bandwidth pooling!

Nyr

I must say it's impressive to look at the BuyVM evolution during the years. It's like it was yesterday when they were selling OVZ at Fremont.

willie

Anycast IPs are ARIN? Sounds fishy for justification.
I don't see the problem here, big CDN's use anycast.  The anycast ip's are being assigned to users one at a time, if I understand it.  It's not like /24's are simply being burned.  If anything it's helping conserve IP's.  Instead of buying three vps's (one at each location) each with its own IP, you can put all three on the same IP.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I must say it's impressive to look at the BuyVM evolution during the years. It's like it was yesterday when they were selling OVZ at Fremont.
 I miss those blue school lockers they used for cabinets. Once you get past the fact that the techs there are perma high/fried, you start to like it.

BuyVM has their shit together! I will be purchasing a vm once they get the new location running!
Thanks :) This has all been planned for a fair bit of time. Anyone that checked out the new design we got done would have noticed Luxembourg mentioned there.

Francisco

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
This is simply unheard of in the low end market. This is the kind of thing that gets summerhosts based in Buffalo drooling. Heck, this is the kind of thing that gets me drooling. Anycast, in particular, is the craziest piece. I believe I suggested something similar a while back, didn't imagine it would actually be possible, and from one of my favorite hosts. The only thing I wish was possible is anycast IPs in only 2/3 locations. All my stuff ATM is US-based, I do wish I could just grab two VMs and anycast between them. I can certainly understand the complications though, so I guess I'll just have to throw more money at the pony to get on board.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
We're giving anycast IP's for free to make it a little more affordable for people on tight budgets ;)

There's 2 companies that do 'anycast IP addresses', hostvirtual, & rage4.

HostVirtual has a 'contact us (bring your own lube)' message on their page so we can safely assume it's mid $xxx if not low $xxxx for a proper deployment. Rage4 is $20/month for the initial then a supposed $0.50/GB for bandwidth. DDoS protection is supposedly available but fairly costly last I heard.

Really, someone serious about this needing a CDN platform could get going for $20/month and do well. Based off http://www.cdncalc.com/, 6TB would be $200/month+. Now, I fully get that they all have 10's of locations to spread this out so it's not a completely fair comparison, but you have to also consider that those CDN's are *only* for delivering static content, they won't let you run any other ANYCAST (TCP or UDP) applications.

I know I have a bias opinion on our structure of this all, but I do hope that most people find it affordable :)

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
As I said on skype, I think you're undercharging. All of your plans with all they include are very affordable.
I feel the same as well once you take free backups, & snapshots into consideration :D

The features we've announced here is our push into the affordable enterprise feature set.

Francisco

willie

Anycast, in particular, is the craziest piece. I believe I suggested something similar a while back, didn't imagine it would actually be possible, and from one of my favorite hosts. The only thing I wish was possible is anycast IPs in only 2/3 locations. All my stuff ATM is US-based,
Yeah, ditto here, I think I suggested it on irc a couple years ago, I think everyone has wanted it but no small host has actually gotten it together up til now.  Once Fran has enough users for multiple anycast blocks, maybe there could be a US-only one and a separate world domination one?

I guess we still need replication between the mysql offload engines...

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Actual replication will be on the users to deal with for now.

In time i'll likely get some sort of clustering filesystem going that users will get a small chunk of that will be sync'd globally. This is perfectly fine for mostly static data, for SQL files you'll still want that sync'd with actual MySQL clustering ;)

For now we'll get a test run on things. I'll likely announce a /23 worth of IP space total then we'll start getting some extra fun stuff (region only blocks, etc).

Francisco

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
I'm going to cancel all my yearly VPS if you can do $5-$10/yr plans lol.

Oh, and when will you have the cPanel VPS offers?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

Not interested in doing plans that cheap :p

Managed cpanel will probably be start of December.

I'll do an announcement when that's ready to go but you can expect it to be $22/month<>$30/month.

Francisco

Kris

We're giving anycast IP's for free to make it a little more affordable for people on tight budgets ;)

There's 2 companies that do 'anycast IP addresses', hostvirtual, & rage4.

HostVirtual has a 'contact us (bring your own lube)' message on their page so we can safely assume it's mid $xxx if not low $xxxx for a proper deployment. Rage4 is $20/month for the initial then a supposed $0.50/GB for bandwidth. DDoS protection is supposedly available but fairly costly last I heard.

Really, someone serious about this needing a CDN platform could get going for $20/month and do well. Based off http://www.cdncalc.com/, 6TB would be $200/month+. Now, I fully get that they all have 10's of locations to spread this out so it's not a completely fair comparison, but you have to also consider that those CDN's are *only* for delivering static content, they won't let you run any other ANYCAST (TCP or UDP) applications.

I know I have a bias opinion on our structure of this all, but I do hope that most people find it affordable :)

Francisco

Not bad, should be an interesting offer TBH. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony

Yeah, no, we're not GVH, and we're not going to pull a Jon and give a ridiculous price just in the hopes of finally getting a positive review.  If you really need something that cheap, just get it from him with your employee discount.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Not bad, should be an interesting offer TBH.
To answer your other question, it's possible HV is very affordable if you have your own ASN/IP's, but not everyone has that and that isn't what I'm trying to sell either :)

SmartDNS, which i'm assuming uses some GEO IP setup, isn't all that accurate, though. If you go use an EU based resolver, you'll get EU IP's from their system. That's just how DNS works. Back in the day I ran a geoDNS for DAIRC. All was fine when users used their ISP's resovlers but then the fire nation attacked....I mean, it went to hell once they used 4.2.2.1 and public resolvers like that.

If there was a 1:1 product it'd compare to it'd be rage4's anycast services. It does with HV's as well but the only feedback I got on pricing from them was from a handful of people that contacted them, I never bothered emailing them myself.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I totally want Anycast right now.

So... PHP+MySQL Server would require MySQL Replication from one location to the other right?

It might be time for someone to look into and get some tutorials up on MySQL Replication and whatnot ;) (wink wink anyone who makes good tutorials wink wink)

Coming back on topic though...  Seriously super excited about the Anycast + DDoS Protection.  Just love it!  

amuck-landowner