amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces free CPU upgades on all 256MB+ OVZ's in Las Vegas

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Hello Everyone!

Along with a slew of other freebies coming down the pipe, I just wanted to announce that starting next week we'll

be upgrading all 256MB+ plans in Las Vegas to E5 2630L's as well as upgrading the SSD caching we use on all 128MB

plans.

This upgrade is one of many freebies on the way in the coming month or so. I can't go into full detail on the

other things due, but I'm very excited to say the least :)

Francisco

eva2000

sweet thanks for the freebies !

much less power usage and a good boost in ssl/encryption/aes-ni performance :D

would be better if it was E5-2630Lv3 to gain Intel Secure Key support and 2 extra cores/4 threads http://ark.intel.com/compare/75791,83357,64586,48766

Intel Secure key will eventually come in handy when everyone starts transitioning from RSA 2048/4096 bit SSL certificates to ECC 256 bit SSL certificates with ECDSA signing

edit: yeah E5 v3 needs DDR4 so not a good in place upgrade... in such case E5-2630Lv2 would still have the new Intel Secure Key support which started with Ivy Bridge platform

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
sweet thanks for the freebies !

much less power usage and a good boost in ssl/encryption/aes-ni performance :D

would be better if it was E5-2630Lv3 to gain Intel Secure Key support and 2 extra cores/4 threads http://ark.intel.com/compare/75791,83357,64586,48766

Intel Secure key will eventually come in handy when everyone starts transitioning from RSA 2048/4096 bit SSL certificates to ECC 256 bit SSL certificates with ECDSA signing

edit: yeah E5 v3 needs DDR4 so not a good in place upgrade... in such case E5-2630Lv2 would still have the new Intel Secure Key support which started with Ivy Bridge platform
I couldn't find any that were decent on power in the V3 series. Anything in the ~60 range was high core, low Mhz, which wouldn't be of much use to people. Below 2Ghz is simply dumb.

Some of the delays are due to firmware flashing and things like that. In the past year since the SSD upgrade Adaptec pushed out some fairly important updates (like fixing poor performance on NUMA/SMP boxes) so we're wanting to get those out at the same time.

Francisco

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
E5v3 requires DDR4 RAM and new motherboards, which can be quite expensive.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Don't you know that you can make more money if you keep the same old hardware and just put twice as many containers on it?

purple = sarcasm

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
E5v3 requires DDR4 RAM and new motherboards, which can be quite expensive.
I saw no reason to jump to V3's because of the RAM. The difference in performance simply wasn't enough to justify that big of a cost jump.

The L5638/L5639's are going to a different project anyway so it all works out nicely :)

Francisco

willie

Secure Key appears to be a hardware random number generator, definitely useful but not especially relevant to speeding up particular crypto algorithms.  AES-NI has been around for years, and SGX (a key encapsulation and signed code scheme) is not out yet.

bizzard

Great! I wonder with all these upgrades, what you guys do with the old hardware.

@Francisco Is the formatting of the post intended, or a mistake?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Great! I wonder with all these upgrades, what you guys do with the old hardware.

@Francisco Is the formatting of the post intended, or a mistake?
Usually we just sell it. This time we have a use for some of it so it's going to that side project :)

What's wrong with my formatting? :(

Francisco

signius

Yet more free upgrades for Las Vegas customers yet you still not done any of the upgrades for New Jersey customers that you announced 10 months ago.

Maybe you should fulfill your obligation to carry out previously announced upgrades to customers first before throwing more money & effort at a location that has already received tonnes of upgrades, while neglecting your other location.

If you cannot actually carry out works & upgrades to a location then you should not announce them in the first place.

trewq

Verified Provider
Yet more free upgrades for Las Vegas customers yet you still not done any of the upgrades for New Jersey customers that you announced 10 months ago.

Maybe you should fulfill your obligation to carry out previously announced upgrades to customers first before throwing more money & effort at a location that has already received tonnes of upgrades, while neglecting your other location.

If you cannot actually carry out works & upgrades to a location then you should not announce them in the first place.
I can't believe that you are mad because you're not getting free stuff quick enough.

signius

10 months is hardly quick

I am saying that  if they have announced upgrades & services to customers (which they did almost a year ago) they should fulfill that obligation before going ahead with upgrades to another location that was not planned at the time of the previous announced upgrades to both locations.

My issue is not that i am not getting free stuff quick, it is that services were announced & were never fulfilled which is basically bait & switch.

If they did not have the ability to provide announced upgrade then they should not have announced them. I am glad for the LV customers but the customers at NJ are constantly getting the shitty end of the stick.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
My VPS got moved to E5 today with a ~50 minute downtime.

Thanks for the upgrade, all good here. Total downtime: 59 minutes on the mark  :) 
Given BIOS updates, RAID card firmware updates, actual hardware replacements, etc, I think around 40 minutes for node bootup is about the best we can do :( It's a lot better than the 2 hour window we were booking :)

10 months is hardly quick

I am saying that  if they have announced upgrades & services to customers (which they did almost a year ago) they should fulfill that obligation before going ahead with upgrades to another location that was not planned at the time of the previous announced upgrades to both locations.

My issue is not that i am not getting free stuff quick, it is that services were announced & were never fulfilled which is basically bait & switch.

If they did not have the ability to provide announced upgrade then they should not have announced them. I am glad for the LV customers but the customers at NJ are constantly getting the shitty end of the stick.
We never announced NJ upgrades, we simply said that they were on the TODO list. Any time we announce something there is almost always a very fast turn around for deployment.

NJ is a hard location for us to do due to power demands. Choopa was quite unreasonable with us when we were looking for power a few months back. It took them nearly 3 months to even get back to us and when they did it was hilariously over priced. Let me explain that a bit more. We needed power for a single node to act as temporary shuffle space while drives are swapped, etc.

They quoted us $100 for the power...and $200/m for a single ethernet cable to connect this single server back to our cabinet. On top of that there was a $300 setup fee all for a *single* server.

The total conversation spans about 5 months because the administrator I was talking to wouldn't respond. His own staff would keep passing the ticket back to him but he was too busy trying to do Vultr things I'm assuming.

Francisco

signius

Appreciate the detailed explanation.

I would have thought Choopa would have been far more obliging & reasonable considering the amount of network outages & issues they have caused themselves.

I know you was put in an sticky situation by the mickey clowns at Colo-Crossing prior to the move to Choopa but i think the Choopa location looked good on paper but the reality has been less than impressive on a few occasions & it sounds like there is no room for improvement at that location :-/

Well im glad for the LV customers anyways :)

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Given BIOS updates, RAID card firmware updates, actual hardware replacements, etc, I think around 40 minutes for node bootup is about the best we can do :( It's a lot better than the 2 hour window we were booking :)
Wouldn't it be better if you just install OpenVZ on the new node and migrate the VPS over using vzmigrate?

amuck-landowner