amuck-landowner

BuyVM announces free SSD upgrades on all 256MB+ OpenVZ plans!

willie

Fran, I figured you knew about this and had decided that the math still worked out ok, but just in case: the Samsung 830 is about the most write-durable SSD that ever existed, except for high end enterprise drives.  It beat the Samsung 470 which was an SLC drive in endurance testing.  I've been wondering whether its successor the 840 Pro does anywhere near as well.  The regular 840 (non Pro) is a TLC (three level cell) drive which is known (designed) to have lower durability and it's sold as an almost-mass market consumer drive while the older drives were aimed at more hardcore users.  The EVO is the updated version of the 840 and is also TLC.

There is some discussion at http://www.anandtech.com/show/7173/samsung-ssd-840-evo-review-120gb-250gb-500gb-750gb-1tb-models-tested along with some projected numbers, and the EVO is pretty well received on the anandtech forum.  I personally still feel dubious about TLC, though I felt that way about MLC (2-level cell) at first too, and MLC worked out fine.  If it were me I'd go with the 840 Pro among Samsung low end drives (a little under $1/GB if you shop around, vs $0.6 or so for the EVO) but even then I'd have doubts.  When I hear "256MB VPS with SSD" the first thing I think is "whee, I can run a database on a VPS!", i.e. lots of small-sized random writes, a killer for write amplification.  But for that I'm fine with 10GB or 15GB instead of 30GB since databases need reasonable ram-to-disk ratio, and for bulk storage there's still hard disks.  I notice even cheap-kings OVH use the Intel 3500DC which is a "data center" drive at $1.50/GB or so, and my guess is it's to hold up under database workloads.  It could be that most VPS users just use static storage though.

The EVO apparently has a way to set its overprovisioning (see the review) and cranking it up probably helps longevity, but increases $ per usable GB.

There are some destructive tests of older drive including the 830 here (and I think the 840 is buried in there somewhere):

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?271063-SSD-Write-Endurance-25nm-Vs-34nm

I remember seeing another site with some tests also showing the 830 doing fantastically well, but I can't find it any more.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
We have some 830 64GB's that run as caches on most of our nodes and those things get trashed yet we've not had a single one die. Sure, performance has degraded but what do you expect when you write 50TB+ on a 64GB SSD? >_>

We looked over the half space option and while my survey showed that a lot of users were OK with it, we ran into issues spec'ing out disk addons. Do we offer a secondary, non SSD, drive? Meh. Supporting it in stallion wasn't difficult at all but still, not really an option i liked that much.

In the end it comes off as just a huge positive for all customers by giving it to all OpenVZ's in LV to start and later upgrade NY/NJ and the KVM's as well.

I've already looked into write volumes and am confident in the results. I won't share this data in public, though, that's for other business owners to look into themselves :p

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
They claim to be in a different facility for NY1.
Oh really?  I was in their IRC Channel (well, still am) and someone was arguing about how NY1 wasn't actually in NY and was in New Jersey.  They countered the claim with "It's only a few ms away and you'd never notice the difference network wise".  Of course I could be wrong.  

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
Oh really?  I was in their IRC Channel (well, still am) and someone was arguing about how NY1 wasn't actually in NY and was in New Jersey.  They countered the claim with "It's only a few ms away and you'd never notice the difference network wise".  Of course I could be wrong.
Its in NJ. Just not choopa.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Its in NJ. Just not choopa.
Maybe they're with coloat? I know coloat has a place in Clinton or something like that? I asked them for a bid out of NJ.

We'll have an email documenting the NJ move, the SSD's, as well as our intentions to get into Europe before Christmas. Right now we're sniffing around Romania since I can work on getting some DDOS filtering, but I'll likely add NL and DE to the list.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

Tux

DigitialOcean? lel
Maybe they're with coloat? I know coloat has a place in Clinton or something like that? I asked them for a bid out of NJ.

We'll have an email documenting the NJ move, the SSD's, as well as our intentions to get into Europe before Christmas. Right now we're sniffing around Romania since I can work on getting some DDOS filtering, but I'll likely add NL and DE to the list.

Francisco
Their bot states it's in Weehauken or something like that. It's not Colo@.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

Francisco
So...

Eurotrip?

wPZalWa.jpg

Psst... the movie actually wasn't that great in my humble opinion.  

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
That was my take on the matter too.

There's just way too many in DE/NL since hosting is cheap there.

Romania is a decent option and allows us to include fairly powerful DDOS filtering for $3/IP as well.

Whichever EU country we pick the setup will be pretty small to start. 8 OVZ nodes and 2 KVM nodes.

With things going to Choopa I'll be shoving in a 3rd KVM node since our KVM plans are usually in pretty good demand.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Waiting for a North Korea provider...
I actually can do this.

I'm giving everyone a pre-order access to my New North Korean Datacenter!

Made by hand by my cousins!

Ok besides for horribly ill-taste jokes aside.

I may or may not purchase a SSD VPS from BuyVM if this happens... :eek:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
If? :p

There is a massive stack of SSD's in LV already. 80 drives for the initial work and Karen continues the ordering now that we're all back from our vacation.

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Fran is in Vegas and sent these photos. Looks like he's preparing for the upcoming upgrade. :)

CUNXZfFMEtbFX0A.jpg

i4dCNNmsO4yrd8e.jpg

Edit: I'll save you the hassle of counting... there is 80 new drives there.

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
G'damn.   How many SSD's are there?  Who counted them already?

Those are 1TB drives.   Horsey is spending some serious coin.

amuck-landowner