amuck-landowner

ChicagoVPS / CVPS Hacked. New SolusVM exploit? [PT 2/2]

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
my old tickets got responded to.  They seem to be active in spurts... I'll get 3 really quick replies then I'll have to wait 8 hours for the next one...
Sounds like it's back to just Adam and Chris running things again - maybe their helping hands got tired of helping, and went back to their own jobs. 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Never spoke or had any interaction with the Luc character - his existence could be as insubstantial as the other fabricated identities as far as I know.  

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Never spoke or had any interaction with the Luc character - his existence could be as insubstantial as the other fabricated identities as far as I know.
In this online world, one might never know. Back when their db was leaked on let the first time I pm'ed all 3 of them and Luc was the one answering.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Why do you think they wouldn't exist? I even know how they look like: http://www.nwnx.net/The-Team.html
That site is one of the reasons I'd have to meet these 'additional' kids before I accepted them to be more than imaginary. Remember, this is a company that is publicly known to list people as employees just to boost numbers. Chris and Jere I've spoken to; Adam is a known entity. The rest? I think 'have to see to believe' would be the phrase apropos.

Last edited by a moderator:

zero

Status Update;

LA Location - Still Down and Not Restored Yet
Atlanta Location - Still Down and Not Restored Yet
Chicago Location - Still Up and Wrong Restored with Old Date (March and no web,mail or other data)
Chicago Location - Still Up and Not Restored Yet

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
A while ago I was considering getting a 2GB for $7 OpenVZ w/ $10 cPanel "deal" from them. I am glad I did not.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Anyone remember this quote from their RFO email on the 22nd?
Good luck. CVPS is hard to get money back from. Individuals in the past have been told by Chris Fabozzi to perform a PayPal dispute for them to get their money back.

What is due compensation for such a prolonged outage? 24 hours down? I'd give you a free month + some credits to be used towards future invoices or services. But for those who have been down for damn near a week, how do you compensate for that? I've never been with a provider who has had such an outage, but at the very least i'd be expecting some prolonged free service OR my money back with no hassle whatsoever if I were to request it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I've seen a lot of people say that, yet I've yet to see any complaints listed on BBB due to it.
The BBB is an old fashioned slack festival.  So complaints levied probably won't show up online for a month I'd guesstimate.  

But that isn't any reason not to file. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What is due compensation for such a prolonged outage? 24 hours down? I'd give you a free month + some credits to be used towards future invoices or services.

Frankly, there are multiple things to be compensated for.

1. The prolonged outage.

2. Losing your data / not knowing if they have your data.

3. Up to a week of downtime and being in limbo.

3.5 Lost time for those having to reconfigure their services

4. Lost time reading all their BS and having to go research online about the situation.

5. Leaking your customer info / that you are a customer to the world via the Solus exploit (ummm why again does Solus need to store emails and name in plaintext or at all?)

The outage issues should be compensated at three free months of service, minimum for those wiped out by this with long outage and lost data.

Anyone on a yearly plan (prepaid of course) should be offered a refund for existing months + credit for two more months.

Privacy issues, I might be over inflating, but real concern and something legal should be pursued by a hungry lawyer.  This is the second full release in 7 months.

A suit would mean ChicagoVPS and their parent company would end up bringing SolusLabs into the suit.

A smart lawyer would sue both ChicagoVPS and SolusLabs though in one suit. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Class action suit anyone?
Won't happen. What'll likely happen is Chris throws a couple months to certain people and be done with it. When the hack happened last year a lot of people never got the compensation either. They were promised it, had VM's that got smacked, yet never got a credit of any sort even after ticketing.

There's lots of sad stories on the eye arrr seas.

Francisco

amuck-landowner