amuck-landowner

ChicagoVPS reaching new levels of desperation

joepie91

Just got this e-mail from ChicagoVPS... we really want you back, just pre-pay for 3 years!

Hi Sven,

First and foremost, on behalf of the ChicagoVPS team we hope that your new year is off to a good start. 2013 was a year of tremendous growth for us, and we have a lot in store for an awesome 2014!

We see that your profile with ChicagoVPS has been inactive, we want to invite you back to ChicagoVPS for all of your VPS hosting needs to get your new year started with a brand new VPS! Come back to ChicagoVPS, and receive an exclusive discount on a new VPS. We are confident in our services, and therefore guarantee that this is the best pricing out there for the specs, and will gladly match/beat any established competitor pricing if you find anything better.

New Year (2014) VPS Special:

2048MB (2GB) RAM
50GB RAID-10 Protected Diskspace
2000GB Monthly Bandwidth
2x IPv4 Addresses
Instant Setup
OpenVZ Virtualization
Available in: Buffalo NY, Atlanta GA or Dallas TX

Discounted Price: ONLY $1.67 per month! ($60 per 3 years).

Order now - https://billing.chicagovps.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=278

Are you a power user? If so you should consider a screaming fast pure SSD VPS. ChicagoVPS has a special Pure SSD VPS offer for you, which are premium VPS hosted on blazing fast SSD drives, which guarantees screaming fast disk I/O performance - perfect for I/O hungry applications.

Pure SSD VPS - New Year (2014) Special:

1024MB (1GB) RAM
20GB RAID-10 Blazing Fast SSD Space
1000GB Monthly Bandwidth
1x IPv4 Address
Instant Setup
OpenVZ Virtualization
Avaialble in: Los Angeles CA, Atlanta GA, or Chicago IL

Discounted Price: ONLY $4.50 per month!

Order now - https://billing.chicagovps.net/cart.php?a=add&pid=229

BONUS: It's a brand new year and we're feeling generous. For coming back to ChicagoVPS, order ANY plan mentioned above and open a ticket to billing to receive a FREE month added on top of your next due date!

Thank you for the opportunity that you have given us. We wish you a happy and safe 2014.

Have any questions? Email [email protected] - we have account managers standing by, eager to answer any questions you may have. We appreciate your trust and business.
Wasn't 3-year prepayment informally considered the "deadpool mark" back in LEA days?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
2GB @ $1.67 a month. Hahahah!

The number creeps lower.

Why would I go with CVPS, with their multiple hacks and customer info disclosure? Why would I buy that when for $5/mo I can have far more resources, way more disk, way more bandwidth with GVH.

Always nice to see the folks in Buffalo cannibalizing themselves.  Gnom gnom gnom.

Where is the CC brand that pays you to host with them?  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
and... yes... 3 year plans are a big sign of FUNDRAISING.   

CVPS will say "Oh no worries, we've been here for 3 years already"... which I think is actually a lie.

maounique

As I said elsewhere 2014 will be a bad year for many hosts. A lot of bubbles will burst but after this the IPs will make enough of a profit to sustain many spammers hosts, probably starting in 2015, IF things continue to go like this and there wont be any release from the locked /8s. 

I personally believe the transition will be smoother than many people think, IPv4 prices will not go that high, who is basing their business model on that will probably, if not lose out at least not make much of a profit.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
and... yes... 3 year plans are a big sign of FUNDRAISING.   

CVPS will say "Oh no worries, we've been here for 3 years already"... which I think is actually a lie.
3 years screams desperation, but 3 years is also a bad deal for consumers due to the pace of technological change.  $1.67/m may be cheap today but it probably won't be in 3 years.

For an example, I picked up a Q6700 for 18 euros (8GB RAM, 2x1TB  drives) this month fom Kimsufi (to be used for a web analytics server, we're dumping google analytics).  3 years ago that same configuration would have cost $250+ at LSN

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
They've got to be hurting some.

No longer a popular brand on LET, replaced by many others using the same network as them who aren't as arrogant and dickish in their public communication. Tried to game SlickDeals with other CC brands by getting featured there several times. Most the members there are atleast aware of their past and are reluctant to do business with them now. At the end of the day, there are just so many other better options. Even if you WANT a VPS in a CC location you have many options to choose from, most of which are ran by friendly people who haven't had their client's info leaked several times and are not repetitive liars.

I think their last LEB offer was a 3 year one too.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Too bad their unsubscribe link doesn't work. 
Yep.

Been trying to get out of the emails for a while now.  

Although maybe it finally worked?  I didn't receive the e-mail joepie posted.  

peterw

2048MB (2GB) RAM
2000GB Monthly Bandwidth
2x IPv4 Addresses
Discounted Price: ONLY $1.67 per month! ($60 per 3 years).

They are kidding. Did they not have enough ips? Or are all of their new subnets allready blacklisted?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
2048MB (2GB) RAM
2000GB Monthly Bandwidth
2x IPv4 Addresses
Discounted Price: ONLY $1.67 per month! ($60 per 3 years).
They are kidding. Did they not have enough ips? Or are all of their new subnets allready blacklisted?
I don't think CVPS' move is to secure IP space. I think they're either planning a large scale upgrade (a positive for their customers) or are trying to buy themselves some time to build a new business plan. The resource race isn't working anymore and while they were the first, it's obvious that other inhouse brands are doing far more than they are for 'about' the same cost.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
"The resource race isn't working anymore and while they were the first, it's obvious that other inhouse brands are doing far more than they are for 'about' the same cost."

The resource race sort of still works if you want to be highly risky, piss off your customers with outages, suspensions, etc. for using things and are willing to self-cannibalize (eat your own limbs).

What the segment is doing though, mainly, is rearranging deck chairs on the Titantic.  The market size I suspect as a whole is growing, but not in the lowend, and especially now on the Lowendshites.  New companies are undercutting weak slightly higher priced companies in the same / similar geo-locations.  Customer A now goes from Company 1 to Company 2.

Inevitably, this chaos is customer churn like crazy.

If I were buying lowend hosts (hey you never know) I'd be looking at month-to-month paying customers and retention numbers.   How many 6 month paying customers?  How many for a year?  And, I'd be raking over how many customers are purely from deep discount sales.   These new companies swapping customers are basically perma-sale companies.   Have everything for a few bucks a month and even less if you need committed for buying an annual.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I doubt you're seeing much in the way of cash deals for all the buyouts that are, and will, be happening.

When Rus used to "buy" brands, he never actually paid anything.

Users were paid out of the net profits for a certain period of months. This made sure that Rus never

actually stood a chance of losing money.

You sell him a brand and lose all your customers because you're a scumbag? No worries, he dusts his hands

and he's good. He buys you and you were a solid company? Great, everyone makes money and he migrated all users

to his datacenters of choice.

Francisco

amuck-landowner