amuck-landowner

Dacentec - Unreliable Network Ran by Amateurs - Recommendations

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I have boxes with Dacentec.   Lured like others by the pricing with the RTO. Easier than purchasing and shipping units to colo... well it was...  Been blah about the network whole time there.

Lately it's non stop performance issues.  That is when the place doesn't drop power or get DDoS'd offline.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... With no end in site and at the point where gear there is idle due to many issues, I am moving things...  Just haven't figured out where quite yet.

Looking for current recommendations for older generation RTO and cheap colo.  Prefer an established company / larger brand / one ran by adults / one with heads on straight.  One with legit policies, and an actual support team when/if I ever use such. 

Looking for preferably US East, US Central or Canada.  No OVH.

Licensecart

All them emails they keep sending it's hard to believe they are a datacenter, but yeah not many RTO providers out there that I can find.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Well one of the few RTO providers out there don't have the hardware as good as that. 

Versaweb has RTOs right now, however any customization isn't monthly and is all one-time-pay at crazy amounts (100 dollars for a single 1 TB HDD or 200 dollars for a 2 TB HDD).  

I've previously loved Dacentec, however nowadays it seems they've been having a harder time dealing with their network.  Also Level 3 has always kinda been very flaky.  

Edit: From the looks of it on LET, seems it's a skid DDoSing Delimiter and Dacentec: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1515074/#Comment_1515074  I guess it's another day at the office with DDoSing skids. 

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I'll start with this:

https://www.versaweb.com/rto.php

A Xeon L5630 (1 processor by the way, you can buy a second one though), 36 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD and 25 TB on 1 Gbit for 60 dollars a month.  Or a L5639 with same specs ora E3-1230 for 70 dollars a month.  That's a start. 

Licensecart

Well one of the few RTO providers out there don't have the hardware as good as that. 

Versaweb has RTOs right now, however any customization isn't monthly and is all one-time-pay at crazy amounts (100 dollars for a single 1 TB HDD or 200 dollars for a 2 TB HDD).  

I've previously loved Dacentec, however nowadays it seems they've been having a harder time dealing with their network.  Also Level 3 has always kinda been very flaky.  

Edit: From the looks of it on LET, seems it's a skid DDoSing Delimiter and Dacentec: https://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/comment/1515074/#Comment_1515074  I guess it's another day at the office with DDoSing skids. 

Kids today, back in my day I was more focused on website building (tables) and school work. Well until I was 16 then I started to use whmcs and cpanel and helping a mate who was in College run his business.

mikeyur

Verified Provider

Layer 7 against our billing panel, mix of open proxies and a couple OVH IPs. Atlanta had a decent sized UDP flood, but that was squashed before any customers were impacted (1:1 internal switching, so a lot less customers being impacted by person getting nuked).

Not even 2 weeks into the job and my first DDoS attack, gotta love it...

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

The only RTO provider I'd consider (good hardware offerings and an excellent network) is Worldstream (current RTO offerings are E3-1231v3, E5-2420v2, and 2 x E5-2620v3) but they're in NL.  I've always avoided Dacentec (and providers who list Lenoir as a location) due to their combination of crap network and antiquated hardware.

Looking for preferably US East, US Central or Canada.

Canada: Netelligent in Montreal offers affordable colo.  

US: several excellent providers in NYC/NJ area but $$$$.   Atlanta or Dallas is probably your best bet if you want cheap east/central US colo.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
The only RTO provider I'd consider (good hardware offerings and an excellent network) is Worldstream (current RTO offerings are E3-1231v3, E5-2420v2, and 2 x E5-2620v3) but they're in NL.  I've always avoided Dacentec (and providers who list Lenoir as a location) due to their combination of crap network and antiquated hardware.

US: several excellent providers in NYC/NJ area but $$$$.   Atlanta or Dallas is probably your best bet if you want cheap east/central US colo.

Yeah honestly dacentec wasn't too bad until the giant influx of LET/LEB providers (I've been using them way before the first Lenoir offer showed up on LEB).  Also doesn't help that from the looks of it, Dacentec only has Telia as their upstream/central ISP and routes their other "peers" through them (e.g. Level3 -> Telia -> Dacentec).  From what I can tell anyways.  If I recall that is.  

I could never in good conscience nowadays put actual important data on their network.  I mean they sell a ton of used/RMA-ed hardware.  May be fine for end users as long as that's told, but I don't know if their core switches and infrastructure is actually 100% reliable.   From the looks of it (and the recent power outage), that view and opinion does seem to falter a little bit, however we do have to give them credit they are dealing with an immature skid.

Layer 7 against our billing panel, mix of open proxies and a couple OVH IPs. Atlanta had a decent sized UDP flood, but that was squashed before any customers were impacted (1:1 internal switching, so a lot less customers being impacted by person getting nuked).

Not even 2 weeks into the job and my first DDoS attack, gotta love it...

Congrats on the promotion by the way!  Also welcome to the nature of the business!  Someone annoyed you won't 100% cater to them?  DDoS.  

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
US: several excellent providers in NYC/NJ area but $$$$.  

A few miles south:  DatabaseByDesign in Philadelphia WHT 1U offer

$17/moFor the first 3 months (pre-paid)Then just $35/mo thereafter (month to month)Free SetupNote: Your server MUST include a IPMI/iLO/iDRAC ect for remote reboot and console. 

in terms of reliability: they had a short outage today, thread on WHT, SLA https://www.databasebydesignllc.com/sla.html 99.965% network/1 day credit for each 15 minutes of downtime, 99.9% infrastructure SLA/1 day credit for each 45 minutes of downtime)

AuroraZero

Saw over at LET that @mikeyur  might be doing some cheap colo. Not sure how you feel about them though. I have never had any problems using them. Always been a good service and the support was good.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
My issue at this point with Dacentec isn't that problems happen, it is that these are manageable problems.  Power failures were completely avoidable and more than one is unforgivable.

The DDoS stuff, where is the management / ownership at when they went neck deep into LowEndTalk and went hardcore selling the floor there?  Did they just pump ads and run or what?  Failed to know the marketplace, understand what it attracts, etc.?  Perhaps, but irresponsible if so.

I found Dacentec prior to them being bought out, not via LowEnd.... been there for years, heck likely a very very early customer.  I've left multiple times due to similar fubars there.   You know, come back because network reblended, new ownership, etc.  Meh.   Last freaking waste of my time.

Feels to me that the place is being ran to maximize profit without regard for the service stability, network quality, etc.  This is ownership leading the show issues. Time for perhaps core infrastructure upgrade, time for some process or equipment for mitigating packet therapy.

I've always avoided Dacentec (and providers who list Lenoir as a location) due to their combination of crap network and antiquated hardware.

Dacentec problem is management of the network.  Reminds me of another former discount DC in the Carolinas that was far more hands on with network but cut corners and lacked knowledge to ever make it stable.  Being a lot of backhaul to say ATLanta usually, I'd rather pick another state if not being in ATL proper.  Carolinas = meh for this stuff and it's been a chunk of a decade down there with me waiting and watching.

Netelligent long has been on my radar.  They had some price upticks and I think they had at last glance a 1A power window which was meh.  But their network last check and prior checks was freaking awesome.  Everything in that Toronto-Montreal-TORIX zone is pretty darn nice.   Just tend to get crappy routes from my upstream to there...

Antiquated hardware --- maybe for some :)  I'll take 54xx's and onward all day long.  I use this gear internally and in DCs...  still does fine.   If the price is right, the RTO makes math sense.. that's how I roll with this.  I hate doing colo builds.  I hate shipping gear (no shipping co here by me and quite a damn chore to get things built, boxed, taken to shipping, etc.)... and I am a stickler about it cause I've had multiple units trashed in shipping over the years.

A few miles south:  DatabaseByDesign in Philadelphia WHT 1U offer

in terms of reliability: they had a short outage today, thread on WHT, SLA https://www.databasebydesignllc.com/sla.html 99.965% network/1 day credit for each 15 minutes of downtime, 99.9% infrastructure SLA/1 day credit for each 45 minutes of downtime)

DatabaseByDesign has always been a fairly good company.  Thanks for the reminder about them.   Hadn't shopped WHT yet...  Glad their prices have come down to earth on things... they were high performance beefy box focus for a long while. Time to pull their network and see how it performs currently from here.

qps

Verified Provider
Carolinas = meh for this stuff and it's been a chunk of a decade down there with me waiting and watching.

Charlotte now has POPs for many of the major transit providers, so it is definitely possible to avoid backhauling traffic to Atlanta or Washington DC now.  There just aren't that many data centers in Charlotte yet.  Many of the data center developments have occurred outside of Charlotte, and as a result they are having to rely on backhaul.

PowerUpHosting-Udit

Verified Provider
Hey Mike, we have our Cabinets in Los Angeles, Dallas & New Jersey so far in the US and we have discuss your requirement in detail over the phone for RTO/Leasing/Colocation Deal. Maybe send me a PM where we can discuss things out and initiate the conversation.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Not to derail my own thread :) But....

Delimeter face punch today has me chuckling...  That's some karma for MarkTurner right there....

Refugee offers are nasty and I've created a number over the years for companies.  Refugee deals on physical servers, yikes, with that audience, that's going to hurt. Welcome to the microscope.

I do like Delimeter better since @mikeyur joined the team.  Just saying, congrats to @mikeyur.

amuck-landowner