amuck-landowner

East Coast DDOS Filtering

KuJoe

Verified Provider
@KuJoe I'd have bought several. I live in Oregon, and while Seattle is close enough for me to be able to do what I need from it (primarily backups, but also potentially a Red5 instance) Portland would be MUCH better. The only companies selling VPSes in PDX aren't exactly low-end in price.
I was pricing out colocation in Portland and transit there is expensive. It's cheaper to colocate with CNServers than it is any place else in the area. If CNServers offered a non-DDOS protected network we'd probably have a VPS node on that and sell LEBs there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
@KuJoe Transit is slightly spendy, but Portland is the closest location to me with decent Datacenters, and the majority of my town's traffic goes to Portland anyway. Oh well.

BlackoutIsHere

Verified Provider
Nope, skid problem. They were selling like hotcakes but they were going to the wrong people who in turn resulted in a lot of abuse reports, drama, and overall wasted time. It's worth noting that we at Secure Dragon don't collect a paycheck so if I have to spend 3 hours dealing with legal requests for a single group of kids, it makes me not want to sell $1 VPSs anymore. A lot of people were pissed when we raised our prices, but it balanced out nicely. We have a fraction of the userbase in Portland now but those clients bring in more income and less than one abuse ticket per month.

I have no idea why but there are people on a certain forum that recommend us all of the time. I need to find out who they are and ask them to stop because the activities this forum is known for results in a lot of work for us because when people can't DDOS a site offline they resort to other tactics like writing bad reviews, blackmail, even posting DMCA notices. One kid posted CP on a client's website and called the FBI on us even though we have logs that the person who posted it and the person who opened the abuse ticket were the same IP. Now they've threatened to contact child advocate groups with "proof" that we host and support CP on our servers because their DDOS attacks can't take the site offline.
Wow! I would love to see the look on that kids face when the FBI kicks down HIS door! Skids won't last in juvie for long. :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
HackForums should have been shuttered eons ago @KuJoe.

I see a lot of mention of low end companies on HF.  It's one of the first places I go looking for hosts and their fans to determine trust of new/unfamiliar companies.  No, I am not a user there, just use the search engine to determine such.

What you did with price adjustment is good now that I know all this (suspected that).  Kids get limited options and stingy with allowance money.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I have nothing against HF actually. The owner is awesome and has been extremely helpful in the past even before I knew HF existed. They've been quick to remove our name when we ask if it's being used for something malicious and their ban against "stressers/booters" has been a god send, the number of skids reduced to a small fraction of what it used to when they made that change.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Nothing yet :(

I was expecting a much faster turnup time but they had some big delays. I was expecting to have things for sale within a week of this poll.

Francisco

tchen

Can we buy the Buffalo VPS's right now and just stick the DDOS as an addon later?  Or is it a packaged deal.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Can we buy the Buffalo VPS's right now and just stick the DDOS as an addon later?  Or is it a packaged deal.
You can but I have no ETA on the filtering IP's yet.

This means you might end up sitting on the VM for anywhere from a week to a month.

By all means, I'm not trying to resist signups here, but don't want someone to feel scammed :)

Francisco

amuck-landowner