amuck-landowner

Follow Us - Colo@ Datacenter Facility Construction Progress

EricGregory

It's a behind the scenes look at what goes into keeping the internet up and running.  It's something that happens a lot, but isn't really seen very often.  Personally, I think what goes on back stage is usually just as interesting as the main performance, so our team is snapping pics and I'm posting 'em up here now and then to show what goes into a data center upgrade.

As always, if anyone has any questions or would like to know more about what's what, fire away.  If I don't have the answers I'll bug my colleagues until I do :)

RyanD

Verified Provider
So are the UPS batteries actual car batteries? Or do they just look really similar?

Francisco
The form factor is similar but there are major differences in batteries based upon their use pattern. Different construction, fluids/gels/acids, pole types, connection methods, etc, etc. 

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
The form factor is similar but there are major differences in batteries based upon their use pattern. Different construction, fluids/gels/acids, pole types, connection methods, etc, etc.
That's pretty cool :)

Francisco

nunim

VPS Junkie
So are the UPS batteries actual car batteries? Or do they just look really similar?

Francisco
Most UPS batteries that I have seen, large and small, are Lead-acid based so they're similar to car batteries but they're actually more like boat batteries.  I know they're making some UPS units with Li-ion batteries now but I'm not sure it's cost effective for large scale deployments.

Last edited by a moderator:

EricGregory

Today's festivities involve load testing of the generator.  The small boxes you see are load banks.  Each one is capable of about a 100kW load.  So far, the generator is handling everything just fine :)

NDFyAk7.jpg

WB4D8O4.jpg

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Very nice. Power actually just went out here actually, running on UPS. Would love to have that Genny right now :)

Please keep posting its very good reading.

amuck-landowner