Google Nexus 5

Discussion in 'The Pub (Off topic discussion)' started by MartinD, Jan 13, 2014.

1. MartinD

MartinD Retired Staff Retired Staff Verified Provider

May 15, 2013
    Is anyone running the Nexus 5?

I've just ordered one for the other half but wanted to know ahead of time if there's anything specific about it that should be pointed out?

Cheers :)

2. darknessends

darknessends New Member

Apr 23, 2013
    Lovely looks - Buy it.

3. GIANT_CRAB

GIANT_CRAB New Member

May 21, 2013
    Design is definitely better because it doesn't explode like Samsung or iPhone's phone design.

Sony's waterproof smartphones crack when it overheats and warranty doesn't cover that.

So if you eliminate all the stupid shitty phone designs, you're left with Google.

4. VPN.SH

VPN.SH Active Member

May 16, 2013
    A couple of friends of mine have the Nexus 5 and absolutely love it. I've got the Nexus 4, and had some hardware issues, so going to be upgrading to the Nexus 5 shortly.

5. MartinD

May 15, 2013
    I'm seeing a few folk saying the battery life is really poor - any such experience?

6. johnlth93

johnlth93 New Member

May 26, 2013
    You know i got my Nexus 4 about 3 month ago :(

Well my country is slow anyway, Nexus 5 just release here like a month ago  ;)

From what i see Nexus 5 is all good design wise except the camera, it looks funny to me  :blink:

7. GIANT_CRAB

GIANT_CRAB New Member

May 21, 2013
    Not as bad as other phones, just don't damage it - eg charge it when its at 20%, shower it with love and not water.

LTE usually burns battery.

8. Roger

Roger New Member Verified Provider

Oct 8, 2013
    I believe there is no better option for the category and definitely subsidized price point. (high-end)!

9. matt[scrdspd]

matt[scrdspd] SecuredSpeed Verified Provider

May 18, 2013
    Still enjoying my N4 here.

However, everything I hear about the N5 is positive and I would buy one if I was in the market for a new phone.

10. tragic

tragic Member Verified Provider

Dec 14, 2013
    I'm on a Nexus 4 as well, it's been great. If my screen cracks (again), I'll end up purchasing a Nexus 5.

11. ihatetonyy

ihatetonyy New Member

May 15, 2013
    N5 owner here. Love it.

Battery life isn't too bad, especially compared to my GS3. That said, using a tool like JuiceDefender or Green Power will no doubt help more.

Franco's/faux kernel is also a good option, especially with undervolting and the various other tweaks they've baked in.

12. Virtovo

Virtovo New Member Verified Provider

Dec 19, 2013
    Shame you already ordered as you may have wanted to compare it against the MotoX

13. BBGN-Doug

BBGN-Doug New Member Verified Provider

Jan 13, 2014
    I have the old Samsung Galaxy Nexus and am ready for an upgrade and have the Nexus 5 in my list.  I'm contemplating holding out until the Galaxy s5 comes out in March/April. 

14. MartinD

May 15, 2013
    Never really been a fan of Motorola and the Razr put me right off them.

15. BBGN-Doug

Jan 13, 2014
    That's why I'm hesitant with getting the Moto X, because previous Motorola's were only fair.  

16. MartinD

May 15, 2013
    It arrived this morning early early. I've not been allowed to open it so I've no idea what it's like I'm afraid!

17. Aldryic C'boas

Aldryic C'boas The Pony

Apr 18, 2013
    Aldryic
    Google's abandonment issues have me leery of touching anything they put out now.  HTC has been solid for me, been using their phones over a decade now - plus I love how dev/mod friendly they are.  Pricey, but the quality of the phone makes it well worth the investment.

18. MartinD

May 15, 2013
    Yep, I'm an HTC fan myself and that's what I tend to run. This was just a random purchase after being moaned at for so long. Interestingly, this NX5 is replacing her Desire HD.

19. BBGN-Doug

Jan 13, 2014
    Haha - why weren't you allowed to open it?

20. MartinD

May 15, 2013
    Not mine lol. She wanted to open it herself - first new phone for a while.