amuck-landowner

HudsonValleyHost Spamming the Helpdesk

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
You may think what you're doing is generous 
No, there's no altruism - he's proud to be a jerk and will tell you so.

"We're IPv4 hoarders who find any way possible to sell IPs in both cheap and bulk, with little to no justification as possible. We follow bare minimum ARIN/RIPE regulations to pass the radar. "

So he know what he's doing is unethical and probably in violation of ARIN, but as long as it "passes the radar" (i.e., he gets away with it and makes 50 cents) he doesn't care.

Eventually, CC will tire of him and find a new orphan to toy with.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
But anyway is probably because of all the CC hate that usually runs around here.
Like this is the only place.

Yes, CC is hated here.

CC is also hated on WHT, where they're banned.

CC is also hated even on their own forum, LET.

Where isn't CC hated?

Hxxx

oh well. I'm not defending anyone. I enjoy some service there, pretty good actually. I know that some of other users here also enjoy service there (CC or Sub).

Again IMO I don't find that email/spam insulting. Seen worst.

Like this is the only place.

Yes, CC is hated here.

Where isn't CC hated?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I think in general people dislike other people contacting them through their helpdesk to promote their product.  Its similar to having solicitors come to your house and try and sell you things, it's just in bad tastes (generally).  

If I recall correctly Limestone Networks did the same thing a while back and it wasn't popular at all.

http://lowendtalk.com/discussion/5328/spammed-by-limestonenetworks/p1

Mostly for me, I simply block their e-mail and IP and delete the "ticket".  "Server selling" Tickets like these get grouped in together with "Buy Pageviews from us!" and "Buy ads from my really low-traffic site for 100/month!".  It gets incredibly annoying over time.  

What they're doing isn't right.  It's an unconventional form of spamming.  

Last edited by a moderator:

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
They aren't the first colocrossing company to do it either. There's a post from 2012 where

they were spamming VPS providers to buy from them before they snagged up LE.

I think one of their staffers replied with "well, if you aren't interested just delete it".

Francisco
Yup ColoCrossing limestoned me offering the first month free to switch to them.

List of known offenders:

Limestone

NetDepot

VPS.net

ColoCrossing

Burst.net (although I didn't get hit directly as I already had servers there)

etc...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I can't just simply have thousands of IP addresses laying around.
I'll say it in public and to some it won't be news.

You should focus on selling and profiting on the core products (hosting services).   These IPs I swear are your cash positive flow.   You are selling the condiments essentially while giving the burger away at cost or not much above it.

Lots of IP whoring abounds with the IPv4 run down.  I expect foolishness, but that email/offer  for IPs.  Yeah, I wanted to play shake the baby with you.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Blacklotus did it too.

Staminus had some foul up where a CC field was used instead of a BCC and someone at BL spammed all the customers offering BL services instead.

In the end Jeff simply didn't care and shrugged it as 'Shit happens, delete it'.

Limestone also DMCA'd LE when it was under Joel's control because of their spamming I think.

There was something where they contacted Joel, Joel told them to toss off and posted the email

that came up, at which point the LSN rep DMCA'd them for it.

It hit WHT and was a hilarious thread.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I'll say it in public and to some it won't be news.

You should focus on selling and profiting on the core products (hosting services).   These IPs I swear are your cash positive flow.   You are selling the condiments essentially while giving the burger away at cost or not much above it.

Lots of IP whoring abounds with the IPv4 run down.  I expect foolishness, but that email/offer  for IPs.  Yeah, I wanted to play shake the baby with you.
That is his core product, though. Remember the 100TB bandwidth plans? He justified whatever bandwidth overages he had with 'well I nailed down some VPN companies that bought enough to offset stuff some'. If the plans were constantly profitable he'd still offer them, he wouldn't be banning any sort of transferring of them between potential customers.

It's all silly in the end. I'm sure he'll get a subnet from someone at some point and it'll be mass banned at the major blacklists and he'll suddenly change his tune somewhat.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent

Where isn't CC hated?
CC isn't banned on WHT, at least Biloh's account isn't... nor is Ernie's...   whole bunch of CC-related companies are banned from WHT though.

LET isn't really CC hatefest lately.   Althought last quarterly Dewlance protest vote struck a cord in that vein. But, most Lowenders these days would accept a VPS from Satan himself if it were, meh, cheaper.  Time to just start that offer,  souls for free-vee-pee-ssss.

CC earns what it gets.  No one can claim CC is a good netizen, that their companies adhere to privacy and common sense and generally are above board.  Then there is the history that preceeds now, the massive spamming (what at least 1% of all spam originates from CC's network).

Hey be my guest, lounge on CC's network.  The place is a honeypot  for the alphabet agencies.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Got one of these also.  I don't necessarily mind tickets like this; however I told him politely where to go:

"Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. Unfortunately due to the reputation (rightly or wrongly) of VSNX in one of the markets we target I am afraid we cannot consider services at this time.

Regards"
What are the "services"?

amuck-landowner