amuck-landowner

Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Thanks, but no thanks. I get offered free stuff weekly and always turn it down. All the providers I use now I pay full price, unless they had a public promotion I used when signing up. I'm choosing a provider that is not represented here, though haven't figured out who yet.
SOFTLAYER!!!

RACKSPACE!!!

SINGLEHOP!!!

vRozenSch00n

To be clear, the only reason I am considering moving away from BuyVM is not due to anything negative. It's mainly to alleviate any concerns forum members may have about bias here. I am a big fan of both Fran and Aldy, they're great people in my eyes, and they run a solid service and I trust them. However I can understand how some may think there may be bias. I host with them (as well as a half dozen other providers here too) and they advertise here. I don't think it's a huge deal, but to prove there is no 'bias' I'm willing to move elsewhere and by choosing a provider that isn't represented here. (Yet, at least)
@MannDude You can't satisfy everybody, and you don't have to prove anything. The most important thing is to host this forum and its subs to the one you trust your personal information and data with.

First, IMHO, it is your quality and the quality of other administrators and moderators and whoever involved in the development of this forum that will show whether this forum is bias or not.

Second, I see that many contributors here are mature people that are willing to share their knowledge and most of them are helpful. This will contribute to the quality of this forum.

Third, there are critics (sometime harsh and hurtful), as long as it is delivered for the good of the community (and certain prove provided), that's fine and let the reader decide. 

Fourth, IMHO any mature member (despite of their age) that bumped into disagreement will settle their disagreement in an elegant way, and learn from the incident. This is also good for the community, so they can benefit from other's experience. 

Last edited by a moderator:

peterw

Keep your provider if they are ok. People will always find something on any provider and you cannot forbid your provider to be part of this community.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well, I'm at a loss here really. I was going to sample some misc providers with 'premium' networks, non-lowend providers, and really I am impressed but without filtering this place won't exist.

From what I am reading about CloudFlare, which I was attracted to even though it costs $200/mo, was that I could choose ANY provider, anywhere, and have protection. But if you sneeze too loud I think Cloudflare will drop you and pass all traffic straight to the host. These big boy providers will just auto-null me as soon as that happens.

So now, I don't know what the hell I am doing. Probably still moving to the US East Coast or central US (Chicago) but need to find a solid filtering solution that doesn't act wonky occasionally or cause other random issues. <sighs>

Something will be done, eventually, to fix the performance issues and everything else. I just need to figure out the who, what, where and why.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Well, I'm at a loss here really. I was going to sample some misc providers with 'premium' networks, non-lowend providers, and really I am impressed but without filtering this place won't exist.
Could always go with an independent third party on the east coast, and use a GRE Tunnel.  You'd still have us "in the loop", but only as a filtering capacity until a better option presented itself.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Could always go with an independent third party on the east coast, and use a GRE Tunnel.  You'd still have us "in the loop", but only as a filtering capacity until a better option presented itself.
Is Staminus better now?

I don't really want to throw all traffic from, say, NYC back to Portland just for filtering with CNServers.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Softlayer

Rackspace

SingleHop
Which of those offer DDoS filtering? I'm not seeing it.

I'm not looking to get nullrouted the first time some pimply faced teen gets bored and points their b00t3r towards vpsBoard.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Staminus has been much smoother.  The only issue I've seen is the occasional weirdness with TS3 servers - and to be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced the problem there ISN'T the silly BRs trying to cram 400 users on a 256MB instance.

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Which of those offer DDoS filtering? I'm not seeing it.

I'm not looking to get nullrouted the first time some pimply faced teen gets bored and points their b00t3r towards vpsBoard.
They offer ddos protection on order pages.

Shados

Professional Snake Miner
Staminus has been much smoother. The only issue I've seen is the occasional weirdness with TS3 servers - and to be perfectly honest, I'm not convinced the problem there ISN'T the silly BRs trying to cram 400 users on a 256MB instance.
Based on the scaling I've seen with TS3, that wouldn't actually be an issue (at least not on RAM).

Dylan

But if you sneeze too loud I think Cloudflare will drop you and pass all traffic straight to the host. These big boy providers will just auto-null me as soon as that happens.
That is not true. They directly route free and Pro ($20/mo) customers in case of larger attacks; the Business and Enterprise plans are completely different and both get "advanced DDoS protection" with no limit.

That's basically the main feature of those plans, and they talk about it all over their website, but if you don't believe that just call them up and ask live: 1 (888) 99-FLARE

Last edited by a moderator:

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
That is not true. They directly route free and Pro ($20/mo) customers in case of larger attacks; the Business and Enterprise plans both get "advanced" DDoS mitigation with no limit. That's basically the main reason to pay so much and they talk about it all over their website, but if you don't believe that just call them up and ask live: 1 (888) 99-FLARE
I asked customers: https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1343301

If they will not say, 'Screw this, this is too big' and pass traffic directly to an unprotected host then I'll go that route. I was under the impression that even if I subscribe to the $200/mo plan they'd just pass certain things on if they didn't want to deal with it.

Dylan

I asked customers: https://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1343301

If they will not say, 'Screw this, this is too big' and pass traffic directly to an unprotected host then I'll go that route. I was under the impression that even if I subscribe to the $200/mo plan they'd just pass certain things on if they didn't want to deal with it.

Here's the thing: I've never seen a single person who's actually on the Business plan claim to be directly routed on it. Like in that thread, the one guy made a weird comment about what the plan "would" do but didn't say he was. It also kinda sounds like he's on the pro plan though from his comment about Level 7 attacks (there's pretty robust protection for that on business).

Iif you can find someone who has personally been directly routed on the business plan, then okay, maybe you should be skeptical. Otherwise, I think you should believe CloudFlare. They're straightforward about routing directly for the free and pro plans if an attack gets large. Why would they be outright lie about the business plan? And if they did, why aren't business customers in uproar all over the web?

https://twitter.com/CloudFlare/status/345762506205179904

qps

Verified Provider
Just a thought for improvement - how about keyword alerts, similar to what WHT offers?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Here's the thing: I've never seen a single person who's actually on the Business plan claim to be directly routed on it. Like in that thread, the one guy made a weird comment about what the plan "would" do but didn't say he was. It also kinda sounds like he's on the pro plan though from his comment about Level 7 attacks (there's pretty robust protection for that on business).

Iif you can find someone who has personally been directly routed on the business plan, then okay, maybe you should be skeptical. Otherwise, I think you should believe CloudFlare. They're straightforward about routing directly for the free and pro plans if an attack gets large. Why would they be outright lie about the business plan? And if they did, why aren't business customers in uproar all over the web?

https://twitter.com/CloudFlare/status/345762506205179904
Thank you! I will look more into it and dig around more.

Just a thought for improvement - how about keyword alerts, similar to what WHT offers?
For now, use Google alerts. I'll see if there is a IPB plugin for this as well.

amuck-landowner