amuck-landowner

Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard

Kenshin

Verified Provider
I have an enterprise customer who I had to push to Cloudflare because they were taking multi-gigabit attacks and refuse to pay for DDOS filtering in Singapore (I don't blame them, prices are...). That's about 4 months ago, so far so good, on the $200 plan. Servers are still with us, everyone's happy.

I'll recommend to use Cloudflare primarily and move the core outside of BuyVM to someone that doesn't market to the LE* segment so they don't need to get needlessly dragged into all the "VPSBoard = BuyVM" arguments.

tchen

@MannDude were you still planning on setting up a sub-board for all the provider-vis-a-vis-provider vitriol?  I'm still wanting the ability to remove those posts from my "What's new" screen.

tchen

True.  I want to ignore them.  You know, /ignore hence the request for a subforum so I can choose myself to filter it out of what's new. 

In point, you can pseudo-ignore the douche bag in speedos that waving their fanny in your face at your dinner table too.  You don't have to look at their jiggly cellulous laden fat ass.  But some structure to remove or segregate such behavior is appreciated, there and here.

Last edited by a moderator:

eva2000

To be clear, the only reason I am considering moving away from BuyVM is not due to anything negative. It's mainly to alleviate any concerns forum members may have about bias here. I am a big fan of both Fran and Aldy, they're great people in my eyes, and they run a solid service and I trust them. However I can understand how some may think there may be bias. I host with them (as well as a half dozen other providers here too) and they advertise here. I don't think it's a huge deal, but to prove there is no 'bias' I'm willing to move elsewhere and by choosing a provider that isn't represented here. (Yet, at least)

I've been wanting to move to the US east-coast for a while, and originally was awaiting new BuyVM KVM stock in NJ. But now I think it's best to just cut ties with providers here and choose a provider who doesn't know who I am, what this site is and isn't represented here. I think it's just best for peace of mind for the community and gives me the opportunity to compare a non-lowend provider with the providers I am already familiar with.
Personally i don't see that as bias as I myself will generally only recommend web hosts that I am using myself. It's the best show of confidence in one's recommendations, if you're using the services yourself as well :)

Of course you could always go Amazon EC2 route  :lol:

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I've noticed that if I search for something, most of the time I don't find it.  The search seems quite broken.  I can provide some examples if you want.

If you go to a person's profile page, IPB lists only the most recent topics, not the full list in pages you can sort thorugh.  I thought IPB would let you page through a person's topics/posts.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Reduce or remove the posting delay for users with 100+ posts or Verified users. Or at-least move validation to the post complete page, I dont know if I am unique but I usually come here with multiple posts to make and a limited timeframe in which to do this (while including time to browse).

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
How about this.  Similar to how WHT does their "premium membership", have a similar system here.  I mean come on, if providers use this forum to get a profit, shouldn't vpsBoard also get a part of that?  Personally I think it should be.  
Just thought I would raise a point in regards to this. Many of us (providers & members) dont use this forum to make a profit (or atleast its not our main motivation) and just want to converse and share knowledge. Ive always felt that a paid user class detracted from the overall quality of the forum (buy your way to the top). Experience / Contribution / Respect based ranks are what I would like to see, particularly on the user side (example implementations could be based on posts / likes / time / special combination and logic etc).

From the money aspect, I have no problem with the current level of advertising. If anything its currently less than I would expect. As long as the ads dont detract from the content of the site (e.g animated and in distracting places) I dont see any problem and in this VPSB is doing a damn fine job.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Just thought I would raise a point in regards to this. Many of us (providers & members) dont use this forum to make a profit (or atleast its not our main motivation) and just want to converse and share knowledge. Ive always felt that a paid user class detracted from the overall quality of the forum (buy your way to the top). Experience / Contribution / Respect based ranks are what I would like to see, particularly on the user side (example implementations could be based on posts / likes / time / special combination and logic etc).

From the money aspect, I have no problem with the current level of advertising. If anything its currently less than I would expect. As long as the ads dont detract from the content of the site (e.g animated and in distracting places) I dont see any problem and in this VPSB is doing a damn fine job.
Haha that was a long time ago. We decided to move away from this (well, we never went in that direction anyways) for similar reasons as stated by you. Look on the time stamp ;).

Safe to say, if stuff changes, you'll know.

HN-Matt

Verified Provider
Yo, I'm thinking of making a thread with some Premium Pastebin Sourced Data B) mined from the billing portals of every host on the forum (or every 'non-CC' host perhaps... *starts choking on a sip of milk after chortling too sinisterly*) Prolly do it up like Redenbacher was goin outta style, whatever. I'm hoping to create a large 'information set' wherein professionally siphoned data is juxtaposed with poorly researched, sensationalist analysis concerning each web host's scandalous relations with a certain brand of popcorn... and no, I will not name kernels until I get mod approval, don't even bother asking.

amuck-landowner