amuck-landowner

Ideas and suggestions for vpsBoard

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Also, a place for domain auctions,

I believe that's already present under http://vpsboard.com/index.php?/forum/22-domains/

possibly even with some sort of built-in bidding system
I'd love to have this personally.

I think as well that the idea previously put forward for a portal with the latest VPS offers and possibly highly upvoted forum topics would be great.

Some great ideas there.  

I'd like a couple extra forums, one under Virtual Private Servers for "related services" like domains, DNS, etc., otherwise "general talk" gets too cluttered.

Ehhh, I see what you mean!  Personally though I find the current setup fine because I feel like dividing it up way too much would just... be too spreadout-ish.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Please please please, make sure no summer host.
No easy way to stop those from creeping. 

But when they do show up it should be obvious.  It will be out of Buffalo, Scranton or Kansas CIty.   I'll be the one grilling the bacon on their offers.

D. Strout

Resident IPv6 Proponent
Ehhh, I see what you mean! Personally though I find the current setup fine because I feel like dividing it up way too much would just... be too spreadout-ish.
Yeah, I see what you mean there, but even just for clarification: for topics such as these, should I post in VPS->General Talk or Offtopic? Technically it is offtopic, but it should probably go in VPS...

vanarp

Thanks for supporting vpsBoard!

You are really doing great job here. Appreciate your efforts and passion for vps community building. I especially like how you seek feedback and suggestions :)

Here are some thoughts from my side that I think are important:

• I would like to see a section like Know your Provider where each and every provider trying to post an offer on vpsBoard should have his business and infrastructure details published. They need to own their thread and update it as necessary when changes happen. When they post an offer they can simply leave a link to this thread to know more about them as a provider.
  • Currently mentioning someone already on the thread is easy. But, mentioning some person who has not posted on the thread is quite inconvenient. Please find a plugin to fix this so that simply using @MannDude should be enough to notify the person.
  • I prefer to see Non-OffTopic content on top when I click View New Content. We want to grow as a VPS Hosting Community and so we need to show more relevant content above the fold (without having to scroll down) anytime.
  • As I requested on the other thread, it might be a good idea to show how the site is performing. So please keep posting weekly stats like you just posted on that thread.
  • How about setting up a CDN and also Anycast DNS for faster rendering of the site across the world? I think it makes a lot of difference for those outside of US.
  • Some of us do not like this default theme of IPB. Consider making few more themes available (basically of different color schemes including one suitable for nights)  so that we can`2 use Change Theme in the footer to switch as needed.
  • Please setup a PayPal Donate button. Accepting donations is crucial to quickly implement features that are important for the community. We do not want the financial burden of maintaining the site on you alone and it is not a good thing as well. Accept donations and make the expenditure details visible to community.
  • Finally have some strict moderation to avoid derailing especially the Offers threads.
  • Have some mods from the User community as well. You can even think about rotation of mods every 6 months or so.

These are the things I have in my mind since I started being a part of this community :)

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I would like to see a section like Know your Provider where each and every provider trying to post an offer on vpsBoard should have his business and infrastructure details published. They need to own their thread and update it as necessary when changes happen. When they post an offer they can simply leave a link to this thread to know more about them as a provider.

As much as I like this, I believe that each Company should have the right to not release their own internal structures.  Some people may claim that it's part of their "trade secret" but meh.  For those who wish to participate, it's perfectly fine. 

Currently mentioning someone already on the thread is easy. But, mentioning some person who has not posted on the thread is quite inconvenient. Please find a plugin to fix this so that simply using @MannDude should be enough to notify the person.

Would be convenient.  

As I requested on the other thread, it might be a good idea to show how the site is performing. So please keep posting weekly stats like you just posted on that thread.

I can see the trend you're wanting.  But I personally feel like this is too much transparency.  

How about setting up a CDN and also Anycast DNS for faster rendering of the site across the world? I think it makes a lot of difference for those outside of US.

Great suggestion, but it'd also have to agree with the plan/costs MannDude is willing to invest.

Finally have some strict moderation to avoid derailing especially the Offers threads.

Could you please offer an example?  I mean I'm sure I can probably find some but I'd personally would appreciate your definition of derail!  

Have some mods from the User community as well. You can even think about rotation of mods every 6 months or so.

Ehh, I agree with this to an extent.  I guess more detail is required.  Personally I was thinking individuals who are considered vital to the community be a mod from the user community.  

Although I'd also like a clear definition of the user community.  I can definitely attest that everyone on the moderation team are actual members (and contributors) to this community!  Hell I'm a moderator on the VPS Offers and Review forums and I consider myself a member of this community!  So if you could please clarify the "user community" that'd be fantastic!  

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
To keep this site unbiased it might be a "problem" if a provider offers a CDN/Anycast or whatever service for free.

It could lead into the bickering that LET was suffering from. I'm not trying to drain MannDudes pockets but if there was a donation option I'm sure more then one provider and user would send some dollars to invest in the infrastructure for this board.

That way the site would not need ads (even if I personally don't have anything against ads, if it's not "to much") to keep it running.

The negative side of relying on donations is that every month is different. Some months there would be more then enough and other months there could be almost no donations.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 I'm not trying to drain MannDudes pockets but if there was a donation option I'm sure more then one provider and user would send some dollars to invest in the infrastructure for this board.

That way the site would not need ads (even if I personally don't have anything against ads, if it's not "to much") to keep it running.

The negative side of relying on donations is that every month is different. Some months there would be more then enough and other months there could be almost no donations.
MannDudes pockets are nearing lint.  This is a labor of love on his part.

I'd like to see donations tried on here to offset the costs.  The real costs, not some funny post expenses and after the Carnival Cruise costs.

Here's what I propose and I don't think it has been done in this industry:

Providers want to help, but can't give say those free services to vpsBoard without appearing to be involved/corrupt/behind the site/etc.  Well, fine.  Here's the idea---- providers who see the value here and want to pitch in something to help give MannDude an equivalent in credit with your company.  So a VPS provider might give $100 worth of various VPSes.  Those VPSes then will go up on here at auction/bid/buy it now style auction.

A dedicated server provider might chip in 3 older Atom dedicated servers or something.  Same idea.  Bid/auction those plans off.  

The idea should really be considered.  It isolates the conflict of interest and makes the flow of goods and items of monetary value entirely transparent.  It also serves as positive advertising for vpsBoard and the companies who graciously donate.

Nick

So a VPS provider might give $100 worth of various VPSes. Those VPSes then will go up on here at auction/bid/buy it now style auction.
I actually quite like this idea. Wouldn't be too difficult to setup an auction site with starting bid/reserve at 50% RRP of the VPS.

+ 1

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
How about this.  Similar to how WHT does their "premium membership", have a similar system here.  I mean come on, if providers use this forum to get a profit, shouldn't vpsBoard also get a part of that?  Personally I think it should be.  

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Here's what I propose and I don't think it has been done in this industry:

Providers want to help, but can't give say those free services to vpsBoard without appearing to be involved/corrupt/behind the site/etc.  Well, fine.  Here's the idea---- providers who see the value here and want to pitch in something to help give MannDude an equivalent in credit with your company.  So a VPS provider might give $100 worth of various VPSes.  Those VPSes then will go up on here at auction/bid/buy it now style auction.

A dedicated server provider might chip in 3 older Atom dedicated servers or something.  Same idea.  Bid/auction those plans off.  

The idea should really be considered.  It isolates the conflict of interest and makes the flow of goods and items of monetary value entirely transparent.  It also serves as positive advertising for vpsBoard and the companies who graciously donate.
And every dollar made on this should go directly to vpsBoard or split between the provider/vpsBoard?

I like the idea since it's a new way to "make money" and cover the costs it is running a site like this.

vanarp

As much as I like this, I believe that each Company should have the right to not release their own internal structures.  Some people may claim that it's part of their "trade secret" but meh.  For those who wish to participate, it's perfectly fine.  

Okay facilitate a section for this and let's see how it goes. Let them disclose as many details as they can share publicly on a forum like this.

But I personally feel like this is too much transparency.

Why too much transparency? This thread itself is titled "This is your community". As a proud member of this community I want to know how my community is thriving. I am not asking to give complete access to the Google Analytics reports. Just show the traffic trends like @MannDude posted in the other thread.

Great suggestion, but it'd also have to agree with the plan/costs MannDude is willing to invest.

Exactly and that is why Donations are suggested. I agree with @mikho that vpsBoard should not be running on 100% free (can consider some discount) services by providers. Idea from @ is nice except that it demands good effort by the mods or volunteers. Also it might lead to issues when actually implemented. Better the provider donates money.

Could you please offer an example?  I mean I'm sure I can probably find some but I'd personally would appreciate your definition of derail!  
I felt below thread was derailed. It is understood that it is a non-verified offer. I feel that an offer thread should contain the offer and any questions with respect to the offer. People can review their experience with the provider or false information by the provider etc. on separate threads or bring to the notice of Moderators to take necessary actions. Simply put, one should not feel like some post on offer thread to have actually belonged to off-topic section.

http://vpsboard.com/index.php?/topic/130-premiumvm-limited-offer-2gb-at-4mo-columbus-oh/

So if you could please clarify the "user community" that'd be fantastic!  

By stating User Community I meant the people actually purchasing vpses. I know most of the vendors here are very much consumers of vpses from other vendors. But at some point conflicts might arise. So why not have some mods who are not into selling vpses/servers so that makes it look well balanced. This was the last point in my list and so obviously least important one.

jhadley

Verified Provider
An ignore user feature would be great (since we've "inherited" certain users from let ;)).

Also unfortunately I can't seem to access it from my VPN, which I usually have connected.

Could you check access from 5.2.16.184?

Code:
traceroute to vpsboard.com (209.141.39.223), 64 hops max, 52 byte packets
 1  10.8.0.1 (10.8.0.1)  14.886 ms  13.979 ms  15.459 ms
 2  gw52160.xenserver.co.uk (5.2.16.1)  15.951 ms  16.106 ms  15.826 ms
 3  gw-sh.newnet.co.uk (80.175.27.181)  15.845 ms  14.937 ms  18.748 ms
 4  vz-622.vz.newnet.co.uk (81.3.80.26)  15.031 ms  16.742 ms  16.381 ms
 5  thn-vz-sc-vz.newnet.co.uk (212.87.79.170)  19.883 ms  20.017 ms  18.096 ms
 6  thn-core1-vz.newnet.co.uk (212.87.79.166)  19.762 ms  19.287 ms  22.204 ms
 7  gi3-6.3100.ar6.lon3.gblx.net (207.138.94.45)  27.319 ms  27.184 ms  28.230 ms
 8  nlayer.tengigabitethernet4-1.asr1.sea1.gblx.net (64.214.62.86)  159.215 ms  159.325 ms  160.306 ms
 9  * * *
10  *^C

VPN.SH

Within the "Other Offers" section, is it likely that a section could be added for offers which do not fit within those categories? It's likely I may wish to post a VPN offer at some point if it's allowed, and it seems there was a fair amount of interest from LET, so it seems like something that users of a VPS forum may take interest in.

Chronic

This might sound a tad silly, but I really miss the randomly generated avatars from Vanilla. Does IP.Board have anything similar? It's much easier to distinguish people when they have an avatar.

VPN.SH

This might sound a tad silly, but I really miss the randomly generated avatars from Vanilla. Does IP.Board have anything similar? It's much easier to distinguish people when they have an avatar.
I agree with this. Even though the avatars were all generally similar when randomly generated, it was still easy enough to determine the regular forum members simply by these :)

amuck-landowner