amuck-landowner

IPv4 Shortage, Blame Idiots like ColoCrossing.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I remember mentioning this at oh... ~136k IPs in the beginning of the year, they're going on 400,000k+

Good to see some people are finally seeing their end game here.
Well, not naming any names, but we have a couple other companies lingering around here with unjustified 300-400k allocations... Ho hum...

Guess I should share my love :)

scv

Massive Nerd
Verified Provider

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
422K IP for a hosting company is too high? I don't think it's the case when Ford Motors have 16 million IPs.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/02/13/where-did-all-the-ip-numbers-go-the-us-department-of-defense-has-them/
Well obviously industrial giants of old along with the mostly offline continent of Africa are parked on big IP space.   The IPs ought to be reclaimed.

Mind you, Ford and their ilk were allocated IPs back in the internet stone age, prior to ARIN and any regulations over issuance.   Today isn't it an 80% use/consumption before more allocation?  

Someone want me to audit CC's IP use :) ?

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
Why is ColoCrossing in the title, at least make your judgements fair.

What about some of the advertisers here giving away 5-6 IPs for $10, other server providers were/are giving away /25s for $5 with 1 HDD max E3 servers

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

What about some of the advertisers here giving away 5-6 IPs for $10
ServerHub's ad banner rotating at the top of the page is advertising a $6.99 2.5GB VPS that includes 6 IPs . Their parent Eonix has over 460K IPs: AS62904 (140K  ) and AS30693 (323K)

the mostly offline continent of Africa are parked on big IP space.

Give it another 10-15 years and usage will catch up in many countries.  Internet penetration in Moroco, Tunisia, and Egypt is already slightly above the world average.  Overall Internet penetration in Africa is 15.6% compared to 37.6% in the rest of the world.  This table, broken down by country, shows the huge increase in African Internet users between 2000-2012 (from 4.5 million in 2000 to 167 million last year)

http://www.internetworldstats.com/stats1.htm

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider

What about some of the advertisers here giving away 5-6 IPs for $10, other server providers were/are giving away /25s for $5 with 1 HDD max E3 servers
Because neither of them have been selling /19's to spammers? There's an /18 listed just the other day. If you run through their RDNS you'll see it's all spammy RDNS for the whole thing.

Serverhub gives a lot, as does lunanode I think their name is. It's possible LN has a solid relationship with singlehop with part of their agreement be to increase their IP usage to get more subnets.

Expect it from everyone alas. It's a mad dash since ARIN only has another /9 or so left before shit gets real.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
422K IP for a hosting company is too high? I don't think it's the case when Ford Motors have 16 million IPs.

http://royal.pingdom.com/2008/02/13/where-did-all-the-ip-numbers-go-the-us-department-of-defense-has-them/
Remember, Ford is pre ARIN space. PRE-ARIN didn't need justification, just 'Hi, I need some IP addresses', and they'd allocate you a /20 w/o issue. Needed more? OK.

There is gobs of pre-ARIN space that isn't used and is owned by companies that don't know it. If you want to see how that space is being used, just monitor http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/latest/ for "zombie/stolen subnet" listings.

You'll see massive allocations (/18's and such) get posted all the time.

Francisco

wlanboy

Content Contributer
There is gobs of pre-ARIN space that isn't used and is owned by companies that don't know it. If you want to see how that space is being used, just monitor http://www.spamhaus.org/sbl/latest/ for "zombie/stolen subnet" listings.
Like the Pony botnet controller?

UsNU3tPKBl6Tup6.jpg

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
Because neither of them have been selling /19's to spammers? There's an /18 listed just the other day. If you run through their RDNS you'll see it's all spammy RDNS for the whole thing.

Serverhub gives a lot, as does lunanode I think their name is. It's possible LN has a solid relationship with singlehop with part of their agreement be to increase their IP usage to get more subnets.

Expect it from everyone alas. It's a mad dash since ARIN only has another /9 or so left before shit gets real.

Francisco
Maybe but it's only fair to add others through the thread title too then maybe, e.g Ubiquity Servers/Nobis Technology has ~1.8M IPs announced and are notorious for years for the same reason

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Maybe but it's only fair to add others through the thread title too then maybe, e.g Ubiquity Servers/Nobis Technology has ~1.8M IPs announced and are notorious for years for the same reason
Very true, message the OP and bring it up :)

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
ServerHub's ad banner rotating at the top of the page is advertising a $6.99 2.5GB VPS that includes 6 IPs . Their parent Eonix has over 460K IPs: AS62904 (140K  ) and AS30693 (323K)
Hehe, DomainBop,  you reading my email :) ?  Truer words never said.

Cursory view of the IP use for said company was, gosh, this is kind of like empty.  Why all the IPs.   Mind you I haven't invested a week leafing through the ranges.   I limit my focus mainly to one provider :)  But ole ServerHub showed up in my CC periscope months back and is again, sadly.

amuck-landowner