amuck-landowner

IPv4 Shortage, Blame Idiots like ColoCrossing.

budi1413

Cool, I never noticed it... How much packet loss are we talking about?
Well maybe depend on location, because i'm from SEA. When i'm using provider that utilizing CC network i'm always get 10%-20% packet loss all day and disconnected ssh session. I've never seen problem like that with provider that utilizing other network than CC. The other reason i hate them because they take over LEB/LET that make that place not fun anymore.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
You know, drmike, for someone who hates ColoCrossing so much, you're always bitching about them...

I normally don't reply to stupid things like this, but is your life that lame that you have to constantly complain about ColoCrossing? I mean no disrespect, but it's getting old... Everyday you or some other person has a thread about ColoCrossing... I'm not sure why you hate them so much, nor do I care, but someday, you need to grow up and move on...

Some people may think it is envy, but others may see it your way... Just move on... Sheesh... Just on this one thread I see 4 others opened within a month from you, it is like a ritual with you and it's pretty much worn out its welcome.

Just my 2 cents... Maybe it's time to grow up and move on...
Don't you host with them / are a "customer"?  Weren't you helping during one of the CVPS hacks?

Have a dog in the race ehh?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
 People get butt hurt because of something that ColoCrossing does when it doesn't even affect you... If you're mad about the 422k IP addresses that they have allocated to them so what? Why does it affect you? Why make a post about it? Sheesh...
IP shortage doesn't impact me?  GTFO.  It impacts everyone.   Drives up prices and has created artificial scarcity.   In some places you really have an expensive to impossible chore of getting IPs, even if you have your own ASN (i.e. Europe).     So it drives up server operating costs and eliminates less costly competition elsewhere because people are whoring and stealing IPs.  Yeah, I call it theft.

Such a shortage - so much that we see people dangling on CC's network offering free multiple IPs on tiny, inexpensive, virtual instances  :)

What happened to ARIN and 80% full before new issuance?

I'll tell you what this is about... It is about intentional hoarding for inevitable IP exhaustion elsewhere.  CC is stock piling IPs, filing BS allocation requests on behalf of "customers" and sliding them into their own portfolio/control.  When the IP depletion happens, CC at this pace might be sitting on what?  A million IPs?

What's an IP at market now worth to sell/lease?   Say $11 per IP.   1 million of them, that's $11 million on made up ill gotten tech paper value.   Even now where they sit, at over $4 million.

Go look around and see how many IPs datacenters that are popular have.  I am not saying names here, but a well known facility in NJ 137k IPs, a big discount provider in Chicago 390k...  

Last edited by a moderator:

GIANT_CRAB

drmike, you gotta chill your shit man.

There's plenty of evil people (eg. Government - Tony Blair/Bush/Bush Jr/Obama/etc.., ColoCrossing, BP oil company, Feds) in this world but we have to learn to live with them. 

Conflicts that are constructive are good but there's a certain line we must draw before it becomes a civil war.

The only place with no conflicts or arguments would be the graveyard - very peaceful there.

In other words, don't blow up in rage because your rage would never change a single thing about Colocrossing's ethics.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hey it is what it is.  Is it evil (IP hoarding and fraud allocation)?  Well, not per se.  Does it violate rules and create shortages, yes.  Should people be kicked in the nut sack for stunts like this, surely.  Full IP audit and revocation and future severe limit to allocation.  Time for ARIN to do their job and regulate.

Unsure where any rage was expressed on this thread.   People with material interest in CC certainly don't want flashlight shone  upon CC, I understand that. 

Also unsure why so many people in the world today have I don't care blah attitude about everything.  Oh those evil people, look at what they did, oh it wasn't me so I don't care.  But yet when their Big Mac is served without pickles they blow their big top, dial 9-11 to complain and go troll on the internet about a 2 cent mistake.   Somewhere along the way too many folks lost their hormones and spine.  

I don't think anyone above is EVIL.  I think they all make tons of decisions that are SELFISH and in the interest of only their own financial wealth collection and to the detriment of everyone else.  Destroyers of economies and fair markets.    

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Evil is a funny description.  Cowards would've been my first choice, given how often they like to run their mouths and act tough.. and yet when they had the chance to say it to our faces, the only people that would meet us are two techs that cowed like we were just going to start taking swings at them.

I really don't see why pub gets hate for bringing issues like this to light.  I get told that I'm going to hell on a more frequent basis than I see CC posted about here;  and at least the stuff he posts is either verified true, or you're given a very solid chain of supporting evidence.

Y'know, I make snarky commentary at people all the time, yet I never catch hell for it.  Maybe if what he's saying bugs you, then you should stop and seriously ask yourself why it's bugging you.  It's fine to have a difference of opinion, but if you're going to rag on him on the basis of posting too much, then I expect to see a lot more hate towards those of us that take the piss of these kids asking other people to run their companies, etc.

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
Don't you host with them / are a "customer"?  Weren't you helping during one of the CVPS hacks?

Have a dog in the race ehh?
Way to go there... Yea, I have a server with them right now... Yes, I haven't had a single issue with them since I've gotten the server... Yes, I have servers elsewhere as well. No I don't have any issues with them either... Do I care what they do with other customers? No, I am my own person and run my own company. And to be honest, I don't care how many people hate CC, their hate doesn't affect the fact that I don't have an issue with them.

To set something else straight, things bug me for some odd reasons. It is just like seeing postings about other things that are constant and about the same thing over and over... Take for example the Zimmerman/Martin case... It was all over the news and all over the internet... It bugged me... It annoyed me... Not a hard thing to understand...

Hey it is what it is.  Is it evil (IP hoarding and fraud allocation)?  Well, not per se.  Does it violate rules and create shortages, yes.  Should people be kicked in the nut sack for stunts like this, surely.  Full IP audit and revocation and future severe limit to allocation.  Time for ARIN to do their job and regulate.

Unsure where any rage was expressed on this thread.   People with material interest in CC certainly don't want flashlight shone  upon CC, I understand that. 

Also unsure why so many people in the world today have I don't care blah attitude about everything.  Oh those evil people, look at what they did, oh it wasn't me so I don't care.  But yet when their Big Mac is served without pickles they blow their big top, dial 9-11 to complain and go troll on the internet about a 2 cent mistake.   Somewhere along the way too many folks lost their hormones and spine.  

I don't think anyone above is EVIL.  I think they all make tons of decisions that are SELFISH and in the interest of only their own financial wealth collection and to the detriment of everyone else.  Destroyers of economies and fair markets.    
This is the same thing... Trolling the internet bitching about ColoCrossing and every move they make... lol Also, I don't really have material interest in CC. I have 1 server with them. If they get audited, so be it. Report it and let it go. Let the powers that be handle that. If they get kicked in the nutsack, then so be it.

dcdan

Verified Provider
I was a "Windows XP" guy for a very long time. Now that I used Win7 for a little over a year (it was preinstalled in the new laptop I bought), I hate Windows XP for not having quick search in Start menu and now I struggle every time I have to use WinXP.

willie

I tried to post a question on Wikipedia through my VPN.  It said:

Your IP address has been blocked on all wikis. ... The reason given is Cross-wiki spam: spambot: leaky webhost; too much spam — ColoCrossing; talk to provider about contacting the stewards.

Heh.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Up until recent (within the last 2 days) they had ~10% of their whole IP pool listed on spamhaus.

I'm not sure why spamhaus hasn't bashed them harder yet, it's obvious block selling. There was an entire /20 with similar RDNS for every entry.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
How about that what /20 belonging to an engineering company?  Huge many billion dollar company that somehow doesn't have possession of their IP range?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
How about that what /20 belonging to an engineering company?  Huge many billion dollar company that somehow doesn't have possession of their IP range?
It's super common for corps to not even know they own IP space after buying out another company. But yes, there was a /20 that was stolen from some company and CC was announcing it. How did CC get an LOA for space the customer didn't own? Shit, I know when I did my LOA with them the names all had to match, had to be sent from admin@, as well as be formally autographed by me.

Francisco

TSS - Conor

Verified Provider
I'm curious though if those IPs are allocated sensibly... as in.. the clients need them. They have grown a lot recently but still; thats a massive increase in under a year.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I'm curious though if those IPs are allocated sensibly... as in.. the clients need them. They have grown a lot recently but still; thats a massive increase in under a year.
Actually, they haven't really. They haven't grown in NJ or ATL at all. It's possible Buffalo opened more cabs for him but it doesn't justify signing the amount of space they have in the past 6 months.

There was a literal full page of spamhaus listings for large subnets. They sold a /20 to a ROCKSO, an /18 or /19 to someone else and then a mass collection of /24's and /23's to some other spammer.

There has been multiple cases of repeat spammers. What I mean by this, is that CC claims the spammer is removed yet no more than a week after the listing comes down does the same spam get pushed through that subnet, just this time it has a new, bullshit, SWIP entry.

Francisco

vRozenSch00n

Up until recent (within the last 2 days) they had ~10% of their whole IP pool listed on spamhaus.

I'm not sure why spamhaus hasn't bashed them harder yet, it's obvious block selling. There was an entire /20 with similar RDNS for every entry.

Francisco
Yep, I got spam flood from their IPs too.

Kris

I remember HVH asking for a /26.

Few days later, people were asking why BlueVM was giving out HVH IP locations. (7) /24's were there under their name. Quickly scrubbed clean.

I remember mentioning this at oh... ~136k IPs in the beginning of the year, they're going on 400,000k+

Good to see some people are finally seeing their end game here.

amuck-landowner