amuck-landowner

Is HVH owned by Colocrossing?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
We pay $999/m as the base cost on our rack. Power is like $250/m per 20A or so?

We don't use support much and more often than not when we do It justifies them billing us network admin time.

Francisco
So CC is billing folks for power separately?  That happens elsewhere too, semi uncommon for 120v stuff and normal rack configs.

Would think power in Buffalo is very affordable since lots of hydro in Canada/region.  $12+/A is on the low side   Probably about a $2 profit per amp, minimum.

The power surcharge totally makes the low low prices less unbelievable.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Can someone here get HVH here or Jon B? Would be nice to get their side of the story.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So CC is billing folks for power separately?  That happens elsewhere too, semi uncommon for 120v stuff and normal rack configs.

Would think power in Buffalo is very affordable since lots of hydro in Canada/region.  $12+/A is on the low side   Probably about a $2 profit per amp, minimum.

The power surcharge totally makes the low low prices less unbelievable.
Nah nah.

The $999/m covers or initial 20A. If we want another 20A it'd be $250/m more.

It's seen as a really dirty thing to try to make profit off power and is genrally shunned upon from what i've seen.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Nah nah.

The $999/m covers or initial 20A. If we want another 20A it'd be $250/m more.

It's seen as a really dirty thing to try to make profit off power and is genrally shunned upon from what i've seen.

Francisco
Doh!  Makes sense... Yeah crazy prices then.

Better watch before they start charging for actual transit usage :)

Power, let's say folks in some markets really lie about the actual costs and do profit quite a bit.  You'd have to be privy to their mass KwH rates.     Smoke and mirrors about not being dirty profiting from such.  Pretty sure Buffalo is flooded with cheap power, all the former industries that aren't there anymore and all that hydro.

vRozenSch00n

As far as I know, my HVH IP was changed to the one belongs to ColoCrossing in late December 2012 and the CPU that was originally 4 x 3.5GHz changed to 4 x 875MHz. 

The website seems to be down since 3 hours ago.

concerto49

Verified Provider
We pay $999/m as the base cost on our rack. Power is like $250/m per 20A or so?

We don't use support much and more often than not when we do It justifies them billing us network admin time.

Francisco
Does this include cross connects or bandwidth? Or remote hands?

That's sort of expensive for Buffalo I'd expect considering the connectivity available. It's worse than Internap pricing :p

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Does this include cross connects or bandwidth? Or remote hands?

That's sort of expensive for Buffalo I'd expect considering the connectivity available. It's worse than Internap pricing :p
That includes the gig unmetered our rack came with :p

Francisco

concerto49

Verified Provider
That includes the gig unmetered our rack came with :p

Francisco
No wonder they dropped level 3 and have all these issues. It's costing $2500/month for a gig here :( As in just for the bandwidth ALONE.

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
No wonder they dropped level 3 and have all these issues. It's costing $2500/month for a gig here :( As in just for the bandwidth ALONE.
And that's why I don't break their balls over Level3 :)

I know L3 has had a few deals for a bug a meg on 10 gig commits just to try to get some markets going but I didn't think Buffalo was one of them.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
As far as I know, my HVH IP was changed to the one belongs to ColoCrossing in late December 2012 and the CPU that was originally 4 x 3.5GHz changed to 4 x 875MHz. 

The website seems to be down since 3 hours ago.
Umm, I think what happened in your case was in December (or perhaps November) HVH moved from another data center in NYC following major hurricane damage (Super Storm Sandy).   They moved from there over to being a Colocrossing customer.

Now, I know no one is shipping 875Mhz processors or using them for virtualization, especially on CC's RTO plan.  The problem there, my guess, is the server has CPU power saving enabled.  CPU scaling.

Which website was down earlier? Both CC and HVH appear up now.

concerto49

Verified Provider
And that's why I don't break their balls over Level3 :)

I know L3 has had a few deals for a bug a meg on 10 gig commits just to try to get some markets going but I didn't think Buffalo was one of them.

Francisco
I rather pay more if they had L3 and the rest of it properly blended. This XO randomly appearing and 90% Cogent is meh, but oh well. For the price you pay it's great though.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I rather pay more if they had L3 and the rest of it properly blended. This XO randomly appearing and 90% Cogent is meh, but oh well. For the price you pay it's great though.
Didn't they, at one point, advertise having a better blend and then dropped a carrier or two later on?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
It would cost way too much to go direct L3. Jon said it was like $5k/m per gig unmetered. Yes, the blend was supposed to be much better but things in NY are stable enough.

NY is just a "pod" for us and is more so to just test the east coast waters. Stallion 2 will likely have us focusing on rolling out more "pods" like this as the feature set gets stronger and stronger.

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
NY is just a "pod" for us and is more so to just test the east coast waters. Stallion 2 will likely have us focusing on rolling out more "pods" like this as the feature set gets stronger and stronger.
Atlanta, LA, Dallas, and Chicago?  B)

concerto49

Verified Provider
Didn't they, at one point, advertise having a better blend and then dropped a carrier or two later on?
Exactly did. Telia + L3, no Cogent blah blah.

It would cost way too much to go direct L3. Jon said it was like $5k/m per gig unmetered. Yes, the blend was supposed to be much better but things in NY are stable enough.

Francisco
It's like $3k/month at most for L3. I'd blend L3 to cut down costs and just use it when it's better - Cogent in some areas isn't bad, but I wouldn't leave L3 out completely.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Exactly did. Telia + L3, no Cogent blah blah.

It's like $3k/month at most for L3. I'd blend L3 to cut down costs and just use it when it's better - Cogent in some areas isn't bad, but I wouldn't leave L3 out completely.
Dude!  It's Gogent.   Really go read Biloh's ads on WHT prior to say January where he mocks Cogent bandwidth as Gogent.

Dallas and sharing a rack?  Plenty of real, honest and big providers with competitive pricing there, no reason to sell your soul to the dark side.  But beware, Dallas County has a f'd up tax on colocated gear.  Still dealing with that nonsense.  Pure extortion and a tax based on nothing factual other than I had a server there.   I'd stay out of Dallas County for that reason :)

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I forgot to add this earlier when the thread started and was proven CC+HVH being a cluster f':

Don't DDoS me bro!

MannDude and the pony team have been mopping up the attacks all day.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Sorry to bump this old thread, but was browsing LEB offers this evening and came across a HVH offer.

R6a5ptK.png

So, appears they have some sort of 'financial relationship' with Colocrossing. At least we got a semi-official word from a CC employee.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
So what is this 'financial relationship' ?

Is CC just their credit card processor then? Is their paypal still in their name?

Francisco

amuck-landowner