amuck-landowner

Jonny Nguyen - GreenValueHost - Raided by Police.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
... and this is unrelated to the Eric Walstrom hacking of high school in months past.  That involved Walstrom hacking his New York high school to modify his own grades.  That matter at last check has been delayed by the Courts and dragging along.

Last edited by a moderator:
BREAKING NEWS FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Jonny Nguyen, head of GVH was raided yesterday on suspicion of DDoSing his school district. Neighbors have confirmed that his family's home was raided by police.

More details coming as I can obtain them.

Full content for those who don't wanna go to LET

KMyers

Jonny Nguyen, head of GVH was arrested yesterday on suspicion of DDoSing his school district. Neighbors have confirmed that his family's home was raided by police.

More details coming as I can obtain them.

Full content for those who don't wanna go to LET
Quick question - Do you have a source for the neighbors confirming the arrest such as a news site, want to do a bit of digging

Quick question - Do you have a source for the neighbors confirming the arrest such as a news site, want to do a bit of digging
Not yet, other than good friends of mine who have spoken to the neighbors, don't have anything yet. If you can find stuff, please post it.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I can't confirm the neighbors...  I feel for them though with an expected good sized police presence in utopia to serve a warrant.  That's something they've probably never seen in Windham.

I briefly heard about this directly from Jonny late last night.   They seized computers and phones belonging to him.  Apparently they rooted through the whole house, but left the parents equipment.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Amitz asked on LET

"What would be the point of DDoSing school infrastructure? Preventing a teacher from sending an eMail? Sounds like a real stupid idea..."

Maybe such coincided with State standardized testing done online.  

I know there is a sub plot involving his contempt for the District IT management processes and staff.   Alleged this whole raid was instigated by something he said / wrote about gross incompetence of said employee(s).

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
While I'm not surprised Johnny would do this. Let me suggest an alternative.

Wouldn't it be possible someone may have signed up for his service at GVH possibly have used his VPS to DDoS his own school district? Especially since his name is tied with GVH and well... It's a dot that's almost too easy to connect.

I don't know. Maybe he's just an absolutely idiot for trying to DDoS someone/something affiliated with the local/state government.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
While I'm not surprised Johnny would do this. Let me suggest an alternative.

Wouldn't it be possible someone may have signed up for his service at GVH possibly have used his VPS to DDoS his own school district? Especially since his name is tied with GVH and well... It's a dot that's almost too easy to connect.

I don't know. Maybe he's just an absolutely idiot for trying to DDoS someone/something affiliated with the local/state government.
Oh no doubt I could see someone doing that.

Problem is raid was at his home.  If there was attack from DC police (State allegedly) would have served warrants on DCs....  For all we know they are going to do that too.  With prevalence of cloud everything, it's rather prudent considering his role/business/etc.

DDoS is bad news / pain... and lots of wannabes into it and easily purchased on many sites.  So if he was even trying to impress schoolmates and they picked up buzz words, easily could be doing the same stuff / same targets in no time / him a target.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

Jonny Nguyen, head of GVH was arrested yesterday on suspicion of DDoSing his school district. Neighbors have confirmed that his family's home was raided by police.
It's been confirmed his home was raided but do you have any proof he was arrested (I would hope that you do have proof and aren't so dumb that you would publicly post that someone was arrested without any concrete proof ).

He is a minor, isn't he? So they can't charge him with anything?
He's a minor (17) but he can be charged.  His ex-VP Eric was only 16 and was charged in NY in February.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
He is a minor, isn't he? So they can't charge him with anything?
He's 17... That's a murky age in the US.   They routinely charge folks that age as adults, even put them in adult prisons.

Even if they charge him as a minor he could face stiff punishment via lockup to age 18 and beyond.

However, he has no known record as a minor and he'll do the chicken clucking and telling anything he knows to help his cause and avoid prosecution (such is normal in the US).  I'd expect him if found guilty to face a few years of probation and community service.  Depends on the prosecutor though and how bad they want to make an example of him or how tired of him they might be...

All I can say is his parents are in for a big spend.  There goes the college money.

amuck-landowner