amuck-landowner

LowEndTalk Thoughts

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I'm sure all the CC hate will die down soon. It's still fresh on a lot of people's minds. There are a handful of good companies that operate with some CC locations in the mix, so I most certainly do not want to see people/companies get treated poorly on here because they do business with CC. That's not what this place is for. It's okay to educate members about the history if it comes up, but I don't want this place to just slander them.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
But yeah, in regards to LET. It's already on a downward path. I don't think it'll ever cease to exist but it's quickly turning into a DigitalPoint/HF hybrid of a craphole. Can't post something off topic without it being closed and told to put into the cest pit. They still remove threads without explanation when asked. The whole $7/mo 'everything for nothing' price limit is ruining the industry with sub-par services and attracts some awful people who want more and more for less and less.

jarland

The ocean is digital
So tell me the rules which will allow a second holy crusade against CC.

I mean everyone complains about all what they might have be done. Did they get enough? Or what should happen to them to fullfill your (not you in person but to all CC haters) bloodthirstiness?
On the other side, who decides when people should stop talking about something? Is there a universal standard for how long something is allowed to be fresh on one's mind? Should people not be allowed to be bitter? If not, what else do you dislike that we should also seek rules for? Perhaps I don't like 128mb VPS, can we ban those?

I'm obviously being ridiculous, because I think the notion that people should "get over it" on the time table of the first 3-5 people to say the words "get over it" is absurd. One time I didn't tighten an oil filter sufficiently and it popped off. I didn't hear the end of it for 2 months. Where were you guys to defend me? The level of importance of the situation is relative to the individual, so is the time it takes for bitterness to fade. Personally I'm working on it, but I almost want to rant about CC every day on every website for a year just to tick off the "get over it" crowd. My message is clear: You get over the fact that I'm not over it :)

Anyway, that wasn't all directed at you wlanboy. I just think everyone running around talking about how everyone needs to "get over it" are the real drama queens now.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
On the other side, who decides when people should stop talking about something? Is there a universal standard for how long something is allowed to be fresh on one's mind? Should people not be allowed to be bitter? If not, what else do you dislike that we should also seek rules for? Perhaps I don't like 128mb VPS, can we ban those?
A properly categorized forum... like this for example, would take care of that "who decides when people should stop talking about something?" problem. 128mb VPSs should definitively be banned. This is 2013 for crying out loud!

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
Something that I've fished out the Cest Pit from LET, the latest comment as of now:

vRozenSch00n
3:48AM

Honestly, only LET member can access the Cest Pit and search engine will not index it.

Therefore, due to the hacking incident and exposures of many things, any issue considered to have negative impact on the newly exposed management should go to the Cest Pit (Cess Pit) IMHO.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
Entering late into the discussion causes me to create this long post...

But keep this in mind:

1) I will always be a member of this community. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I know I tried to save what was left of LET.

2) No one is forced to join.

3) I have invited folks from here to join and help out with the forum. Folks like Curtis who also runs vpsBoard, and others. People need to realize that not everyone will come straight here and that many folks from LET just want their old forum back without all the baggage and the crap.
I guess that the reasons for you starting the new forum is the exact same reasons most of the newly created forums have.

This will however have the exact opposite outcome, (remember this is nothing against you, I'm talking in general here) the members will scatter across multiple forums, creating smaller groups with different agendas (at least publicly).

Some will survive == get a great community, some will not == become an empty forum with almost no posts/threads at all.

LET will survive, probably not in the same shape and form as before. Members who had been around for a long time stopped posting, many because of the direction LET was heading towards. Some for other reasons..

Personally I'd rather not have a single client who would choose their services by this. Not a single one. I don't want clients who just glide with the wind from host to host every month or two. I mean following that logic as a provider would mean that the moment I step outside my door, open my window, or send a message on the internet that I should strip myself of personality. I'm a Christian, I work at a church. Does that statement mean that I can't host atheists? Should I hide who I am because someone might not like it? You don't have to like everything I say and do. If you think you do, you're not serious about the services that you want to provide and therefore you won't be a client of anyone's for very long anyway.

Been wanting to get that one off my chest for a while, thanks for setting me up for it ;)
This I agree upon, I have only been active in the VPS community since I found LEB/LET a couple of years ago. Before that my focus was with shared hosting.

I am one of the customers who will stay with a provider if the VPS is working for me (if the VPS is responsive when I use it. I don't care to measure dd speeds. The latency to my location is more important). Not how the provider talks on forums. Before I sign up with a provider I do take interest in their presence on forums, how they interact with the community. Never deciding based on one post, more an all-over attitude.

I also strongly believe in giving people a second chance. There are a few providers that had a style that I didn't agree with but as time goes by, the attitude changes and so does my feelings towards this provider.

If this board wants to be better everyone should be able to post - even Chris or CC - without being kicked to death with the same accusations again and again.
As among friends (which is how I would like to think about the forum members) there will always be a bit of bickering, bringing up old stuff that has been discussed over and over again. When both sides, both the one dropping the comment and the person that the comment was intended for can accept it as the joke it most often is. Then we have a great community. It's when these types of disagreements (we have one in this thread already between Marcm and Aldryic) takes over that the community will have problems, if not dealt with immediately.

Taking the above example further, I would call it a non-issue.. just stop bringing it up and it will go away...

128mb VPSs should definitively be banned. This is 2013 for crying out loud!
I bought 2 new VPS from lowendspirit a couple of minutes ago. They are not dead, only hiding :)

The main problem with low-mem installations are that developers stopped caring about memory usage a long time ago.

I've been working as a consultant for 5-6 years now, before that I was a windows developer and in-house tech for a company.

Every time, historically and even now when I speak to developers and raise the question about slow performance and optimization of THEIR software I get the response to upgrade the hardware... buy more memory, buy faster drives, get a second CPU.

I always return with the question that IF there is no performance boost, will they take the cost of the new hardware? Everytime I get 'No' as an answer. one can wonder why :)

mikho

since my first post in this thread was so long, I write my conclusion here.

For me there hasn't been a CC 'hate', we have discussed the events on LET/LEB.

I personally fell no hatred towards either CC or any other that is/was involved with LET/LEB.

I do have lost my respect for Joel, but as said before, more then willing to give a second chance to earn my respect again. But i doubt he will even try.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
All I see is excuses and lame attempts at somehow saving what's left of that community (at the same time acting like they own it or something) by LEA and current LET management. The whole anonymity thing that LEA and Chief insisted on was crap. LEA was before I joined LET, but Chief was extremely ballsy when behind his keyboard and pixelated skull avatar. I mean what the hell was a guy doing with a hosting forum that wasn't passionate about it in the first place? I tell you what: at the first opportunity he decided to make a quick buck and run along.

I don't think that there is anything to drag on here,

LET will survive, probably not in the same shape and form as before. Members who had been around for a long time stopped posting, many because of the direction LET was heading towards. Some for other reasons..
@mikho By God, I hope it won't survive. With my little forum I am trying to offer what's left of the LET community something that they used to have: a simple discussion board. Ideally I would then channel them over here. Forums and community aren't the same thing. We can all be part of the same community and spread our agenda across several forums. As long as we stick together we are a community. The opposite example of that is WHT: it's a forum, not a community. People don't care about anything over there other than pursuing their own agenda. And we all know the results: sig spamming, penalty points for about anything, idiotic posts, and so on.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
On the other side, who decides when people should stop talking about something?
You can talk about just anything you want. You can post everyday how CC sucks. But if someone you do not like post something ... well ... e.g. .... about cats ... and you jump into the thread to post that he is liar and CC sucks. Then I do have a problem with it.

mikho

@mikho By God, I hope it won't survive. With my little forum I am trying to offer what's left of the LET community something that they used to have: a simple discussion board. Ideally I would then channel them over here. Forums and community aren't the same thing. We can all be part of the same community and spread our agenda across several forums. As long as we stick together we are a community. The opposite example of that is WHT: it's a forum, not a community. People don't care about anything over there other than pursuing their own agenda. And we all know the results: sig spamming, penalty points for about anything, idiotic posts, and so on.
I hope it does survive and finds it's roots again. Then evolve into something better.

The LET that people tend to forget about is EXACTLY what you are trying to re-create.

Regarding the meaning/difference between forum and community, I understand your definition and I agree to most of it. :)

A forum (like WHT, per your example) is still a community, but the members are there for different reasons.

You can talk about just anything you want. You can post everyday how CC sucks. But if someone you do not like post something ... well ... e.g. .... about cats ... and you jump into the thread to post that he is liar and CC sucks. Then I do have a problem with it.
And this one of the reasons I like a traditional forum better then pushing everything off-topic into one thread. Even if there will be some kind of posting record (no of posts) but the users will have to read up of stuff that they are not interested.

That's why you need to specify a GREAT topic when creating new threads.

Naruto

So, I am now apart of 5~ communities. (http://www.gaming-servers.net/ http://www.lowendhelp.com/ http://www.vpsboard.com/ http://webhostrally.com/ http://www.lowendtalk.com/ ) and I do have to say that I am less inclined to sit around waiting for the fun of the OLD let to blow up.

That being said, the things I see happening to LET now aren't promising. mpkossen closes every thread he can find that is being ~offtopic. Everything is being funneled to the cest pit. The activity that used to be at LET isn't there, and nor is it here, or any other LE type place.

Here on VPSboard it has been CC hate realm, with no opposition as such things just blow up, and out of control. 

I guess all in all, I'm just trying to say that, LE* has gotten really sluggish, and I don't think it will ever recover. I wish you all the best, but I think I should just say good bye now as I think many of you will also soon leave.

Best of wishes,

Mun
You only made this thread to advertise and you know it.

TheLinuxBug

You only made this thread to advertise and you know it.
The TL;DR of this thread:

@, while trying to convince us that he isn't specifically using this thread to advertise his forum, is using this thread to bash at vpsBoard and advertise his forum.  Seems to think because it is using the same software as LET that it can be a better replacement than vpsBoard because he runs it. Hey buddy, this isn't LET and honestly, though Curtis has 'allowed it', this whole thread seems like it is here to try and prove why vpsBoard can't be a replacement for LET for you and why you believe everyone should leave here and come to your forum (Which IMO is pretty rude and assumptive on your behalf).

@Mun, In the same breathe that he said he was leaving this community also decided to plug his own forum, then did about the same thing as @ by listing reasons (CC Hate) that he doesn't like it here and then listing this as a reason people should leave all the new forums that popped up and should come use his forum. 

Now, I am not trying to censor you, and honestly seeing as @MannDude, has let this go, it is likely because he doesn't want to be seen as limiting your freedom of speech either, (what CC started doing to LET) so he has let you continue, most likely hoping someone like me would pop up and kindly ask you to stop the self promotion. One thing you have already gained here in this community is, this thread. Go try and make a thread like this on some other forums and let me know how long it stays up, especially if it doesn't align with their (business) agenda for the forum.  I am sure if a bunch of us showed up on your forum and started coming up with reasons why it just has to suck and why people should come here (to vpsBoard), you would probably remove it or fight with them (like you have been doing here for seemingly no reason).

my 2 cents.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Now, I am not trying to censor you, and honestly seeing as @MannDude, has let this go, it is likely because he doesn't want to be seen as limiting your freedom of speech either, (what CC started doing to LET) so he has let you continue, most likely hoping someone like me would pop up and kindly ask you to stop the self promotion. One thing you have already gained here in this community is, this thread. Go try and make a thread like this on some other forums and let me know how long it stays up, especially if it doesn't align with their (business) agenda for the forum.  I am sure if a bunch of us showed up on your forum and started coming up with reasons why it just has to suck and why people should come here (to vpsBoard), you would probably remove it or fight with them (like you have been doing here for seemingly no reason).
 tumblr_lx5fwjATo61qmijb2o1_500.gif

Mun

Never Forget
Yeah, my site has 3 people which I am two of, any single person visiting the site will instantly go, NAhhhhh. and leave. :)

So yeah i'm not plugging any of my sites.

What I am saying, is that expect the whole LE* area to shrink, as people get bored and leave. 

Mun

Last edited by a moderator:

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@marcm, while trying to convince us that he isn't specifically using this thread to advertise his forum, is using this thread to bash at vpsBoard and advertise his forum....

Now, I am not trying to censor you, and honestly seeing as @MannDude, has let this go...
@TheLinuxBug I'm wondering if you're psychic or something that you know so well what me or @MannDude ar thinking. Sadly do, you won't score any brownie point with @MannDude over defending vpsBoard like a brave little soldier because he knows pretty well what it is that I was trying to do. I'd say that it's pretty safe to relax now. What I'm trying to tell you is that you're being overzealous and overprotective and this really isn't the case.

So yeah i'm not plugging any of my sites.
@Mun he is just being overprotective and overzealous. Sometimes people do this in a community in order to try and stand out. For some bizarre reason they think that with one or two statements they can influence the perception and will of an entire community.

@TheLinuxBug here is something to think about: if I really wanted to seriously plug in a forum, then sure as hell it wouldn't be some low end alternative. No Sir, I would set up something that's at least comparable to vpsBoard and then I would try to plug it. But then what would I tell people? "Come join a forum that's about the same thing as your last forum, only it's running on a different platform with a different skin..."

I got about as much love for LET as @[member='Aldryic C'bo

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
It's noticeable that activity has dropped on LET, I don't see this place having much more activity either at the moment in time. If anything this is the better place I've joined compared to those other options which were created when LET got fucked up' I see more of the mature providers here and much different offers than the LET way of things.

Time will tell, I'll stay apart of this forum providing it stays active I would suggest improving the skin etc soon though it don't look very attractive and you guys could make this place a lot better.

Time will tell, with anything but i'd say VPSboard has had a good start and by the looks of things has solid backing

my 2 cents

MartinD

Retired Staff
Verified Provider
Retired Staff
I think you should chill :) You have your own forum, which is great, but we don't need to hear about it here in this thread. Lets keep the crap that went on over at LET stay there.

amuck-landowner