amuck-landowner

LowEndTalk Thoughts

Mun

Never Forget
So, I am now apart of 5~ communities. (http://www.gaming-servers.net/ http://www.lowendhelp.com/ http://www.vpsboard.com/ http://webhostrally.com/ http://www.lowendtalk.com/ ) and I do have to say that I am less inclined to sit around waiting for the fun of the OLD let to blow up.

That being said, the things I see happening to LET now aren't promising. mpkossen closes every thread he can find that is being ~offtopic. Everything is being funneled to the cest pit. The activity that used to be at LET isn't there, and nor is it here, or any other LE type place.

Here on VPSboard it has been CC hate realm, with no opposition as such things just blow up, and out of control. 

I guess all in all, I'm just trying to say that, LE* has gotten really sluggish, and I don't think it will ever recover. I wish you all the best, but I think I should just say good bye now as I think many of you will also soon leave.

Best of wishes,

Mun

A Jump From Let

I've wished if LEA has left domains under his ownership, and handed everything else, that wouldn't require him work or responsibility anymore.

But I guess vpsboard is the true v4, and is the approved place by LEA to live in if that matters  :p  

It's good that a new site has been setup for the refugees. May the spirit lives on.

I believe it's able to stay.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
@Mun,  - I am trying to build a place for those who won't come here (maybe as a bridge). I've called it BudgeHostingTalk.com - The design is inspired from the old LET before it mutated into this mess, however it functions very differently from that and is content and community oriented. Basically the community decides the content that they like via the voting system. Remember old Digg? Something like that. I am also thinking about buying a commercial theme for it, but so far I haven't found anything that is worth buying. Any suggestions are welcome.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
As much as I hate to say it.  This is the reason why I left LowEndTalk, but I don't believe vpsBoard will follow that route. 

Personally, I find vpsBoard a great alternative to it.  Granted it just started and I honestly think you should stick around a bit longer watch it mature.  Expecting what LET was straight out of the gates for vpsBoard in my opinion is a huge mistake.  We're two different communities focused on two different aspects of the industry.  While yes majority of the members here are refugees from LowEndTalk I don't see vpsBoard being restricted to those restrictions LET had.  

Regardless, removing yourself from the equation isn't really an answer to the problem.  If you want to make a community focus on the minimalism qualities of a VPS and learning how to build that then start discussions about it.  Removing yourself from it is basically an admittance of defeat.  

LET will never really be the same.  vpsBoard will never be the alternative to LET.  But this is your community.  This is a platform you all can use to discuss about anything you wish related to VPS and the industry.  Use that right that we provide to everyone to inspire others to focus on what you feel passionate about.  This is what vpsBoard is about.  

In terms of vpsBoard being a place for CC haters, I disagree.  And for those of you who are reading this who are ColoCrossing haters, lets leave the entire baggage at LET.  Clean start here.  What they did at LET was a mistake, and hopefully they'll move on from such actions.  Yes I personally dislike ColoCrossing, but not because of what has happened but for other reasons of which I'm perfectly fine dropping and starting new.   

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
LET had "a lot of post" because it usually broke into mass spamming of certain threads or even spam fests of meme images.

Take any of the large threads and see how much of it is good convo's and how much of it is filler.

Now, don't get me wrong, back in our hay day we all remember the badassoverhere image that sent ol' Chris up a wall. The problem is that was happening all the time with all different people.

Francisco

Mun

Never Forget
@Mun,  - I am trying to build a place for those who won't come here (maybe as a bridge). I've called it BudgeHostingTalk.com - The design is inspired from the old LET before it mutated into this mess, however it functions very differently from that and is content and community oriented. Basically the community decides the content that they like via the voting system. Remember old Digg? Something like that. I am also thinking about buying a commercial theme for it, but so far I haven't found anything that is worth buying. Any suggestions are welcome.

Im sorry, but save your money. There is already WAY too many LET pop ups, me included.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Here on VPSboard it has been CC hate realm

Now, I'm not being dramatic. Let's establish that first and foremost. You brought this up, I'm responding. That isn't for your benefit, that's for people who keep telling me "Dude you need to just chill." I'm chilled.

I think you should cut people some slack on this. Consider the events that made this forum blow up. No matter what anyone says, the leadership of LEB/LET knew and lied to everyone there about who was pulling the strings. We all hoped that we weren't seeing what we thought we were seeing when EndOfReality left CC and had their history wiped from both sites. We all sort of "knew" but we didn't really know. Along comes someone who exposes it all and the site becomes the punching bag for everyone angry over the fact that our community had suddenly become a business and that business was being operated through lies. This wasn't about an NDA. LEB was not a corporate entity. We knew CC was collecting ad revenue for months.

Now with that in perspective, Curtis got lucky to be in the right place at the right time and pick up the people who were fed up. Of course people are going to be a little angry that the things they tried to convince themselves weren't true, because they trusted the word of certain people, turned out to be exactly what their worst theory concluded. This place isn't a hate club for Colocrossing, this is a place where people migrated to when they felt taken advantage of by colocrossing (and yes, those without adblock provided a benefit to CC, we were used for corporate profit gain no matter how you spin it). There's going to be some conversation about it. My advice: Stop letting it bother you.

I don't think it will ever recover

I agree completely and here's why:

mpkossen closes every thread he can find

A few key people think I have it out for CC and LET, truth is I'm just a tad bitter that a website I thoroughly enjoyed and considered to be one of a kind was transformed from a community like the old story of slowly boiling a frog. There's no need to have it out for LET, the staff seems to be intent on destroying it all by themselves.

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
LET had "a lot of post" because it usually broke into mass spamming of certain threads or even spam fests of meme images. Take any of the large threads and see how much of it is good convo's and how much of it is filler. Now, don't get me wrong, back in our hay day we all remember the badassoverhere image that sent ol' Chris up a wall. The problem is that was happening all the time with all different people. Francisco
@Francisco, For the longest time LET's fuel source was drama. Since the "creme of the crop" so to speak has moved over here there isn't much going on over there. I liked the discussion oriented style of Vanilla, but I couldn't care less about the drama. A week ago I was talking to Curtis and said that I would set up LowEndTalkin' as a joke, however people actually joined but I did it in such a rush that nothing worked right (Apache + Varnish). I've set it up again (this time properly) as BudgetHostingTalk.com and implemented it so that those who join can vote for the content that they want (like old Digg). I don't really want to run a forum, don't have the time to do so. I think it's a nice middle ground for those who don't want to take the plunge and move over here.

LET staff (whoever that currently is) does a pretty poor job at running the forum: it is buggy, runs on shared hosting at Vanillaforums.com, the moderation job and applied censorship is piss poor (look here for example: https://lowendtalk.com/discussion/10762/is-let-dying-slowly#latest ) and generally the current look of the forum is an eye sore (talk about the lack of web design skills). And one more thing: LET doesn't listen to the community at all. It may be to late when they realize that all they're left with is a domain name, a hosting bill from Vanillaforums.com and a database.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I don't really want to run a forum
This begs the question of... then why are you?  Sorry, but if that were actually true, you 1) wouldn't be running it, and 2) wouldn't be calling attention to it (down to the URL so people know where to find it) several times a day.

Mun had a decent point, one that I agree with.  There are simply too many "communities" trying to act as life rafts to a sinking ship, and the motives seem to be anything but altruistic.  I'm here because Curtis introduced me to this place well before the LET drama started.  For awhile things were great, but now it seems that I can't go a whole day without being (sometimes not so) gently prodded towards "Yet another LET clone".   

vpsBoard will never be the alternative to LET.  But this is your community.
^  Cannot stress that enough.  A bit of advice for the group of you that seem determined to figurehead a forum:  you _CANNOT_ create a community.  The most you can do is lay groundwork, and see what kind of community builds itself.  "Just like old LET"?  Give me a break.  You cannot recreate a particular 'family' simply by specific type of messaging board  with an archaic theme.

Want to run a community?  That's fine, but do it honestly.  Provide the habitat, and let the community grow.  You WON'T get the kind of community you want;  you have to learn to enjoy what you get.  But stop trying to "provide refuge"... there are enough buzzards out there already, and now instead of scavenging from LET's corpse you're trying to pull active members from a different community.

Mun

Never Forget
Okay, a few clarifications. (I'm not per say leaving, just admitting that I will be seeing a bunch of you get drawn out of the LET/VpsBoard arena.)

Two, What I am saying is that, what has occurred has caused many people far and wide to leave the LET arena and as such I don't expect in any near time for any one place to take full control back over.

Three, I'm not saying anything bad about VPSboard, what I am saying is that LET universe as a whole has been damaged and harmed.

Four, ads really do have a place, like it or not I turned off ad block to help find good deals, because there is so many hosts.

Five, I would love some action at lowendhelp.com/forums/ (not farming) but as it seems, VPSBoard took the crop, thus I'm stating there is already way too many different forums for the LEB universe.

Six, i'm afraid (not pointing at vpsboard) that each group of hosts will make a separate network of forums. Shovenose has one, Johnston at bluevm has one, now Marcm has one as well. I really can't stress enough that LEA had one thing right, and that was that no VPS company had control of LET. It worked great, until that was broken. 

Seven, like it or not the hate of CC has been dropped here, meaning like it or not (vpsboard is currently the CC hate club) and it is pointed out to be. (Non-CC) threads etc can confirm this. 

All in All, VPSboard is great, but people are going to get distracted and leave because there is too great of a selection, and the inactivity of LET has made people outright leave, and not notice VPSboard.

Mun

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
now Marcm has one as well
@Mun, Sorry for the double post: I don't want to separate my forum from vpsBoard, however I have very specific goals in mind for it like user generated and controlled content, the encouraging and sponsorship of Open Source developers, discussion oriented boards, sharing of knowledge between providers in their own area (board), and so on. So it's not just some random forum. And no, I don't intend to let drama run its course on it until it becomes the main attraction.

But keep this in mind:

1) I will always be a member of this community. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. I know I tried to save what was left of LET.

2) No one is forced to join.

3) I have invited folks from here to join and help out with the forum. Folks like Curtis who also runs vpsBoard, and others. People need to realize that not everyone will come straight here and that many folks from LET just want their old forum back without all the baggage and the crap.

All in All, VPSboard is great, but people are going to get distracted and leave because there is too great of a selection, and the inactivity of LET has made people outright leave, and not notice VPSboard.
Lol, I already feel like some people are fighting for members for their communities like Heaven and Hell for our souls.

jarland

The ocean is digital
vpsboard is currently the CC hate club

If you say so. LET was the summer host hate club then I guess. Just because people post about it frequently doesn't mean that's the focus of a forum. You're judging a community based on a high volume of discussion about something that was/is currently relevant to nearly everyone posting here. If that is the case in a year when CC hasn't tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes then maybe you can judge it on that.

On 9/11 all television stations were talking about the events of that day. Do you currently call every television channel the 9/11 channel? People talk about what is currently relevant and on their minds. Big deal? You think you can run a forum where people want to actually post when you won't allow them to post about recent events that were relevant to their interests? I wish you the best of luck in that.

No hard feelings, I don't mean this personally. But you've been posting here for a while now about how bad this place is and if someone else doesn't see it as you being bitter that vpsboard took a lot of new members while your forum didn't, I will take back the accusation. Again, it's not personal, but you know I don't filter myself.

Mun

Never Forget
If you say so. LET was the summer host hate club then I guess. Just because people post about it frequently doesn't mean that's the focus of a forum. You're judging a community based on a high volume of discussion about something that was/is currently relevant to nearly everyone posting here. If that is the case in a year when CC hasn't tried to pull the wool over anyone's eyes then maybe you can judge it on that.

On 9/11 all television stations were talking about the events of that day. Do you currently call every television channel the 9/11 channel? People talk about what is currently relevant and on their minds. Big deal? You think you can run a forum where people want to actually post when you won't allow them to post about recent events that were relevant to their interests? I wish you the best of luck in that.

No hard feelings, I don't mean this personally. But you've been posting here for a while now about how bad this place is and if someone else doesn't see it as you being bitter that vpsboard took a lot of new members while your forum didn't, I will take back the accusation. Again, it's not personal, but you know I don't filter myself.

It isn't just the discussions, it is the comments as well. People even stated "Americans" were "mad" about 9/11, since we took our every moment to note it. Has it changed now, yes it has, but as of right now I am claiming that VPSboard is a hate zone for CC.

SeriesN

Verified Provider
Can I have my own forum? I will only talk about unicorns and ponies. Promise. 

I love seeing how everyone wants to copy someones idea but can't be bothered to come up with something new. Stop being a sheep and be the human you are :)

Mun

Never Forget
Can I have my own forum? I will only talk about unicorns and ponies. Promise. 

I love seeing how everyone wants to copy someones idea but can't be bothered to come up with something new. Stop being a sheep and be the human you are :)

I am, I am stating my mind :)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I am not making any assumptions... You just got all worked up again.
You honestly think you're worth me doing more than raising a brow?  Get back with me when you start embracing reality.  Just because you wish to claim something does not make it true outside your little fantasy world.  Until then, kindly waste someone else's time, I have better things to do than listen to someone attempting the Fabozzi method of discourse <3.

amuck-landowner