amuck-landowner

New York - What Interest is there?

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
State specifically which datacenter you'll be in (you don't have to specifically state what company your'e with but just show us your peers).  Like the specific address is all I need really.  

Ninjahawk also has servers in New York City and so does VR.org.  Their prices aren't the cheapest but I know it'll continue sustainable growth at those locations.  If you can sustain your growth at New York City at those prices then go for it, but I personally don't see how that's possible.  
It is at 100 William Street.

Bandwidth is provided via Zayo / GTT .

We were looking at other options in NY,  Enotch had tried to get us in the 111 8th ave location, to bad you can't trust them with a barge pole.

A couple of things. First, yes, I would like to see more NYC offers - no question about that. However: would there be IPv6? What network would this be through? Second, as it stands, no matter how attractive your offer, I wouldn't buy from you for one crucial reason: your website sucks. The design is actually very good, but there are literally only two pages linked that actually work. The rest (about 10 pages by my count) give 404 errors. I do not buy from providers like that under any circumstances. I would rather you didn't have a website than have a website like that.

But yes, I would like to see more NYC offers. Oh, and the reason having servers in NYC is expensive is because of simple physical space constraints. There's only so much space in an already crowded city, and servers take up more of it. So you get charged more. It's very expensive to run a DC there.
Ok, so this thread isn't necessarily me posting my offer I am looking at general interest for this location, as of right now we have 2 servers pending deployment. Whether you guys want good deals on the H/W or not I shall be using them regardless of the market.

Our website isn't launched nor was this thread made to direct people to our domain... Though I should of expected it to be honest.

Once we play with the backend some more and do some final tweaks it will be launched, though due to the nature of some of our clients our website isn't actually to important. But nonetheless! We have some lovely updates to make it complete ;)

Nope. You said that the future rests in another companies hands or something to that affect :)

Anyways, this is way off course from the OP's.

To answer the OP:

NYC would be cool but best of luck finding filtering in that area. I've yet to find a provider offering any real filtering in that area.

Francisco
The filtering offered by Ubiquity isn't a "Feature" that we'll be providing  its just overall part of the network and we won't be advertising as " WE CAN STOP DDOS NOW" - On a serious level I'd probably refer people to get a GRE tunnel from yourself,

And yes indeed it is Ubiquity, some hate it some love it. These guys are rocking my socks off right now! Constant support all weekend. 

NY provides full IPV6 Support as well.

In regards to using this market, I'm not putting a ton of 2GB + servers on this server, my pricing for the 512 is an example. but of course if you tier it as a upgrade 1GB = $7 with 40GB Space and that is a reasonable along with being sustainable. 

Last edited by a moderator:

qps

Verified Provider
See that's the thing with you. You keep playing the 'I dont need this market, people should pick me because my network is better and [insert random reasons]'. You then decide to try to compete in the budget storage market (500GB for $7/m?) and seemed to have been scared by OVH.  All the while you've posted on LEB (this isn't me hating on the LE's, it's making a point that LE is a budget community).

You want to offer dedis to compete with QPS i'm assuming but you're having to look at 'budget datacenters' (colocrossing, fiberhub, HE.NET, etc). So do you like these DC's now or is it a "I have no choice"?

Sure, I wish we had level3, GBLX, Telia, etc, etc, in all DC's but I'm not going to double my prices, and completely screw my ability to later grow, just to offer something 99% of our users won't appreciate. 

You need to really decide what market you want to go after and do some real market research. You have offers going in every which direction and unless you have a ton of cash (capital or venture) that you're willing to straight up lose, you better sit down and plan it.

If you need an example of smaller brands that focused on pure quality and not super cheap prices? Check bitcable or cleverkite.

Francisco
I noticed that I was mentioned here.  Is there a problem with what QuickPacket does?

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
I noticed that I was mentioned here.  Is there a problem with what QuickPacket does?
No I don't believe so @QPS -- Fran is pointing out many attempts to be in the low end market, not you personally.

concerto49

Verified Provider
I don't know why you were mentioned. Have nothing against QPS or trying to compete. All I talked about was i3 / i5 servers. Surely desktop servers are in a different market altogether. Sorry for having to get you into this.

qps

Verified Provider
I don't know why you were mentioned. Have nothing against QPS or trying to compete. All I talked about was i3 / i5 servers. Surely desktop servers are in a different market altogether. Sorry for having to get you into this.
We do some desktop hardware-based servers too.  Lately, with as cheap as the off-lease servers have been going for, it's been cheaper to go with the off-lease servers instead of the desktop hardware.  The off-lease servers often provide better bang-for-your-buck in terms of performance too.    

imperio

You want to offer dedis to compete with QPS i'm assuming but you're having to look at 'budget datacenters' (colocrossing, fiberhub, HE.NET, etc). So do you like these DC's now or is it a "I have no choice"?

Sure, I wish we had level3, GBLX, Telia, etc, etc, in all DC's but I'm not going to double my prices, and completely screw my ability to later grow, just to offer something 99% of our users won't appreciate. 
Fran, there are LEB providers located on fiberhub dc which have nlayer,pccw and tinet in their upstream mix.Do you really have to stick with he + cogent mix on fiberhub without doubling your pricing ?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Fran, there are LEB providers located on fiberhub dc which have nlayer,pccw and tinet in their upstream mix.Do you really have to stick with he + cogent mix on fiberhub without doubling your pricing ?
 None of those are in FH, you can check their sales post. TINET isn't available anymore and nlayer/pccw were never in FH. I'd have to pay backhaul prices from LA for anything.

You're one of the few in the LEB price bracket (<$50/m) that actually advertise on here/LE. Neither of you are going to be competing with datashack/WSI since they're in the 1000's of physical servers, if not coming up into the 10's of thousands.

The filtering offered by Ubiquity isn't a "Feature" that we'll be providing  its just overall part of the network and we won't be advertising as " WE CAN STOP DDOS NOW" - On a serious level I'd probably refer people to get a GRE tunnel from yourself,

And yes indeed it is Ubiquity, some hate it some love it. These guys are rocking my socks off right now! Constant support all weekend.
You listed ddos protected is all :) It's only recently that they fixed their description to mention that it isn't actual filtering, just an autonull. Nothing wrong with using an autonull, there should be more of them :D

Francisco

qps

Verified Provider
You're one of the few in the LEB price bracket (<$50/m) that actually advertise on here/LE. Neither of you are going to be competing with datashack/WSI since they're in the 1000's of physical servers, if not coming up into the 10's of thousands.
This is like saying BuyVM isn't going to be competing with Linode, Amazon, or <insert provider here> because they have more servers than BuyVM does.  

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
This is like saying BuyVM isn't going to be competing with Linode, Amazon, or <insert provider here> because they have more servers than BuyVM does.  

Bigger doesn't always mean better... unless you're talking about epeen, in which case, you obviously must have the biggest one?
Nope, we don't compete with either of those :) We'll never be as big as even linode, nevermind amazon, unless we get some huge influx of cash.

You have a few racks, datashack/WSI have a few datacenters. DS/WSI target providers a lot since they offer more IP's than you so it's a different market.

I think you're taking this as a swing for some reason. I've not slagged your product and know at least 2 people personally that have boxes with you. In fact I directed at least 1 of them your way for their TF2 servers and have made mention of you at least a few times on WHT when someone is looking for a cheap deal. You don't see datashack/WSI posting on LE's front page, though, because that isn't a target market for them. You/Versaweb do so you'll get grouped as 'LEB dedicated hosts'.

Francisco

dmmcintyre3

Problem with New York and east coast in general now is OVH and friends. In the past a lot purchased NY/NJ/etc is European customers. Now they rather get a OVH dedicated server for similar price. I'd downscale and not go towards any east coast operations until we see how the whole fiasco pans out.
Same applies to US residents on the east coast. For me it's a toss up between EU and western US as far as network speeds and latency goes. 

imperio

None of those are in FH, you can check their sales post. TINET isn't available anymore and nlayer/pccw were never in FH. I'd have to pay backhaul prices from LA for anything.

Francisco
I am seeing fiberhub with tinet,nlayer and pccw upstreams via blacklotus for IP address: 199.19.78.1 . 

concerto49

Verified Provider
I am seeing fiberhub with tinet,nlayer and pccw upstreams via blacklotus for IP address: 199.19.78.1 . 
That's Black Lotus. Not Firehub. Only the DDoS protected part.

Same applies to US residents on the east coast. For me it's a toss up between EU and western US as far as network speeds and latency goes. 

Good to know someone agrees :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Are the east coast DC's routing that poorly? Or is it that up to 100ms isn't a big enough deal?

Francisco

imperio

That's Black Lotus. Not Firehub. Only the DDoS protected part.

Not fiberhub ? Fiberhub peers with blacklotus which means you can use blacklotus's upstreams as well.

Q: Who are your upstream bandwidth providers?A: Our route-optimized network is a BGP4 multi-homed blend of Black Lotus, Cogent, HE.net, TWTC, as well as multiple direct peering arrangements. 

Q: Do you have any other network providers available?

A: The following providers are also available in our facility, and can be reached via cross-connect to our Meet-Me-Room:

Abovenet / Zayo (install pending)

Centurylink

Cogent

Cox Business

Hurricane Electric

Integra Telecom

tw telecom

Zayo (AFS / 360 Networks)

Fiberhub also offers low-cost layer2 transport to options to One Wilshire / 900 N Alameda in Los Angeles, where you can reach hundreds of carriers - inquire for further details!

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Not fiberhub ? Fiberhub peers with blacklotus which means you can use blacklotus's upstreams as well.
Nope.

Their BL routes are inbound only and only on the subnets announced to BL. Outbound routes will take FH's inhouse blend.

They used to have TINET but picked up abovenet to replace it. They didn't expect zayo to delay things for so long though so there wasn't a smooth swap over like they expected.

Francisco

concerto49

Verified Provider
Yeah Fran explained nicely. The "peering" is just ddos protected transit. Not normal transit.

peterw

My problem with Buffalo is that the CC routing is going via Chicago and then is arriving in London.

So Chicago or Detroit is a better option (ping wise).

Even the Atlanta routing via Washington which then is arriving in Paris is better.

amuck-landowner