amuck-landowner

NYPD have been stopping people and asking them to upgrade to iOS7

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Reading some random news and came across this. Figured you folk may find this interesting.

If you’re walking around New York City this afternoon, you may be handed a flyer by the NYC Police Department with a “Public Awareness Notice” for so-called “Apple users”. This note informs users of iPhone and iPad devices that upgrading to iOS 7 will add security features that will keep these devices from being reprogrammed without an Apple ID and Password. These notes go on to suggest that “additional information on iOS 7 features” can be found at Apple’s homepage.

BUuWywlCAAEBbiG.jpg

The feature these notes speak of is indeed included with iOS 7 (see: Activation Lock), added by Apple to help cut down the turnover rate of stolen or otherwise lost phones to thieves. The notes handed out by the NYC Police Department also suggest that users register their devices with the NYPD’s Operation Identification Program. This program is outlined by NYC.GOV in their Crime Prevention program listing as follows:

Operation Identification is offered free of charge by the New York City Police Department. The program involves engraving an identifiable serial number with the letters N.Y.C. on all portable valuables such as computers, fax machines, copiers, etc. and registering only the number and the owners name and address with the Police Department.

This program can be implemented by contacting your local Precinct’s Crime Prevention Officer. The officer will loan you an engraver, which is used to mark all equipment. Benefits from this program include:

• Special New York City Police Department decals are issued which are affixed to windows alerting people that all property contained within, has been registered in this program.
• The marked property is more difficult for a thief to sell.
• Stolen property in the possession of a thief is easily traceable to its rightful owner.
• Found property can easily be identified and returned to the rightful owner.

It is not clear at this time if these flyers are being handed out across the 5 boroughs or if they’re being distributed in centralized locations. Several flyers have popped up with “72nd Precinct” printed on them while others show no such specific marking. According to 9to5mac, flyers are being handed out at Apple Stores “where people are walking out with new iPhone 5s/5c with iOS 7 installed” as well. Twitter users Tam Nguyen and Michael Hoffman began mentioning these “uniformed NYPD officers” handing out flyers as early as yesterday.

nypdios7apple.jpg

butvztfceaawxll-580x435.jpg

buuwywlcaaebbig-375x500.jpg

SRC: http://topinfopost.com/2013/09/22/nypd-have-been-stopping-people-and-asking-them-to-upgrade-to-ios7

SRC: http://www.slashgear.com/ios-7-update-promoted-by-nypd-with-flyers-security-the-key-22298734/

SRC: http://twitter.com

Good samaritan cops trying to protect the public? Or another case of a big agency spying on the people?

Last edited by a moderator:

Jack

I was told by an Apple Genius this was coming into place as they have a lot of people going into the Apple store reporting issues with devices and getting them replaced when really they are stolen/lost and then that person gets a new phone ect without paying anything this way if that happens they are going to be stuck.

Novacha

Content Contributer
I would always like to assume they are handing out these notices with good intentions, since the police do want to prevent goods from being stolen (less work for them). I doubt any agency has told the NYPD to print out fliers for IOS 7 as it would have little impact on their monitoring effort.

Echelon

Verified Provider
I would always like to assume they are handing out these notices with good intentions, since the police do want to prevent goods from being stolen (less work for them). I doubt any agency has told the NYPD to print out fliers for IOS 7 as it would have little impact on their monitoring effort.
This may be true, but with the compliance of multiple corporations coming to light in the NSA leaks, one can't help but ask the question none the less.

Last edited by a moderator:

NickGH

This may be true, but with the compliance of multiple corporations coming to light in the NSA leaks, one can't help but ask the question none the less.
Totally agree, I do not trust them one bit out of sheer paranoia let alone after that debacle. This IOS release is also another nail in the coffin for apple... (pro android in case you are wondering)

Mun

Never Forget
My god you guys are idiots..... freaking about everything being NSA.

Lets dumb it down for you gents.

1. What does the NYPD deal with as part of there job? .... Maybe stolen items!

2. What happens when someone steals an iPhone in NY? ..... they might report it to the NYPD!

3. What does that mean for the NYPD? ... It might mean they have to spend some time researching if it was stolen, paperwork, and general time being spent on getting back this iPhone.

So, if logic dictates, the NYPD probably wants you to upgrade to IOS7 because there is added anti-theft measures built in. meaning it would be harder for thieves to profit from stealing an iPhone. This also means less paper work, time, and energy going towards stolen property in the iPxxxxxx sector.

Now since you are all IDIOTS! lets put it into a context for you.

BIND10 is released with anti DNS reflection attack, and rate limiting enabled to help stop DNS reflection attacks. So all the sysadmins / vps providers suggest everyone upgrades to BIND10. Why might they do that? Your logic is NSA, when it is actually to help better protect the issues they see.

GOD!

Not to mention if you read the fucking flyer it says WHY!

Mun

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
Thank you Mun for providing a voice of reason on this forum. Let us hope the sense spreads to others.

blergh

Verified Provider
My god you guys are idiots..... freaking about everything being NSA.

Lets dumb it down for you gents.

1. What does the NYPD deal with as part of there job? .... Maybe stolen items!

2. What happens when someone steals an iPhone in NY? ..... they might report it to the NYPD!

3. What does that mean for the NYPD? ... It might mean they have to spend some time researching if it was stolen, paperwork, and general time being spent on getting back this iPhone.

So, if logic dictates, the NYPD probably wants you to upgrade to IOS7 because there is added anti-theft measures built in. meaning it would be harder for thieves to profit from stealing an iPhone. This also means less paper work, time, and energy going towards stolen property in the iPxxxxxx sector.

Now since you are all IDIOTS! lets put it into a context for you.

BIND10 is released with anti DNS reflection attack, and rate limiting enabled to help stop DNS reflection attacks. So all the sysadmins / vps providers suggest everyone upgrades to BIND10. Why might they do that? Your logic is NSA, when it is actually to help better protect the issues they see.

GOD!

Not to mention if you read the fucking flyer it says WHY!

Mun
Yeah, because of a bunch of cops dealing out flyers about updating your shitty phone with (most probably) even shittier updates seems legit.

Hey guys, cops are always watching out for you and want you the best!1

Mun

Never Forget
Yeah, because of a bunch of cops dealing out flyers about updating your shitty phone with (most probably) even shittier updates seems legit.

Hey guys, cops are always watching out for you and want you the best!1

You are holding the idea that iPhones are shit because you are an android fan. Get over your little pissy fits on which OS is better blah blah blah. There is still another type, and many people like it. So it is advantageous for the NYPD to address this issue none the less. 

Now in regards to your last comment. WTF, can you not read? I stated that the NYPD was doing this as a self benefit! Why, less paper work, and less time spent trying to find iPhones! --- maybe we should take you back through 3rd grade again since you are an idiot!

Mun

blergh

Verified Provider
You are holding the idea that iPhones are shit because you are an android fan. Get over your little pissy fits on which OS is better blah blah blah. There is still another type, and many people like it. So it is advantageous for the NYPD to address this issue none the less. 

Now in regards to your last comment. WTF, can you not read? I stated that the NYPD was doing this as a self benefit! Why, less paper work, and less time spent trying to find iPhones! --- maybe we should take you back through 3rd grade again since you are an idiot!

Mun
..But daaa-ad!

FYI, I use an old Sony Ericsson K610i.

Mun

Never Forget
... and I have an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4, what is your point? All phones have benefits and downfalls.

Mun

blergh

Verified Provider
... and I have an iPhone 5 and Nexus 4, what is your point? All phones have benefits and downfalls.

Mun
You were the one that somehow stated that i was some sort of android-troll.

Derp

Mun

Never Forget
You were the one that somehow stated that i was some sort of android-troll.

Derp

Its a definer and flows better with a name put in place,as such andriod was just a space holder. You can replace it with anything (nokia) (windows phone) etc, and it will still have the same meaning.

Derp Derp.

Mun

manacit

I never thought I'd say I agree with Mun but, well, I agree. iOS 7 is already on 200m devices worldwide, I don't think the NSA needs to hand out fliers to get people to use it. Frankly, the the fact that people think this at all is hilarious. 

It's merely because iOS 7 makes it more difficult to get access to a stolen/locked device. End of story. 

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah iOS is proving so secure... about that fingerprint thing.  Hacked in record time.

Unsure why people want to steal closed source spy devices.  It's not like you can steal one then run down the street and activate it as your own.

If they wanted to stop the theft, they'd regulate it at the carrier level through ESN database.  Sure, the die hard hacker could in theory get around that.  The average hoodlum though, way beyond them.

We need a new theft gang that steals all these devices and throws them in the Hudson to liberate people from being tetherheads.

amuck-landowner