amuck-landowner

OpticServers LTD goes live with owned Datacenter! Uk Based

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up we are here! for the last 6 or so months we have been planning and building a datacenter based in United Kingdom, London and we have just opened, we have enough space to put up to 10 - 15 full sized 42u racks in our datacenter (It is not a lot but more then enough since we do not be huge just focus on the quality of the overall experience) we are currently Peering with Virgin Media using 2 x 1Gbps Uplinks (Dedicated) to our Premise they are on larger bearers so we can upgrade as soon as we need to. we currently only sell Virtual Private Servers openly but we are more then happy to sell Dedicated Servers or even Colocation in OpticServers. once we grow we will openly sell both these services on our website. if you guys have any questions or just want to say hey then i am more then happy to answer any questions.

Just some of bigger features we have at OpticServers:

Our Connections? : 2 x 1Gbps Direct Fibre Optic Connections (Dedicated)

Our Room Size? : 270 Square Feet

Our Average Rack Capacity: 10 - 15 full sized 42u racks

Do we Provide DDoS Mitigation? : Yes! we offer 40Gbps DDoS Mitigation on all of our IP's as a standard (We have Arbor Hardware at our Providers end that Filters any traffic before it reach's our edge)

Thanks and Regards,

Joe C & Toby B.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kayaba Akihiko

Mtwiscool style "for immediate release"

On topic would be great if you could post a few pictures.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Haha well that really is just a room!  

Best of luck in your own room and hopefully you guys could grow into a full blown facility!  

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Well Yes its a Room but then again Datacenters are just big rooms? we are just on a lot smaller scale due to this is from our own pocket however we do have enough to run this so we are not going anywhere.. and this room was built just for this 4 months ago it was not there xD and we have ventilation will high powered fans and filtration system to filter the air coming into the room we have a fingerprint biometric door lock + fire door we have IP CCTV and Dedicated Internet Connections so it has most if not all of the things a normal Datacenter has just on a smaller scale!

Wintereise

As someone generally involved with service provider networking, I would recommend that you not disclose upstream capacity publicly.

Upstream filtering is usually dubious at best, and someone determined enough usually has no problem getting around it to flood you offline.

OpticServers

Verified Provider
LOL no i took them with my phone then sent them to myself though email then just took a screenshot using sharex :p if anyone wants any information about OpticServers LTD just PM me or contact us though our Skype or Emails!

AshleyUK

Verified Provider
Well done on doing it all yourself, however is that a NetGear switch as your "core" switch?

If so just be ready to upgrade it in the future, once you start adding more servers/racks!

jhadley

Verified Provider
I'm sure this is an exciting milestone for you, however:

Where is the HVAC, backup power supply etc.?

Also, Netgear switches and 2Gbps total connectivity?

Ishaq

Verified Provider

He mentioned in the sales thread they have their own UPS backup system.

And regarding HVAC/connectivity (combined quote):

We have ventilation will high powered fans and filtration system to filter the air coming into the room we have a fingerprint biometric door lock + fire door we have IP CCTV and Dedicated Internet Connections so it has most if not all of the things a normal Datacenter has just on a smaller scale!

We are currently Peering with Virgin Media using 2 x 1Gbps Uplinks (Dedicated) to our Premise they are on larger bearers so we can upgrade as soon as we need to.

Ishaq

Verified Provider
Joe/Toby, it looks like a great startup.

Since you peer with VM do you mind PMing me a test IP? I'd like to see the latency since I'm on VM myself.

splitice

Just a little bit crazy...
Verified Provider
Well I approve, regardless of size a new venture is a new venture and should be given appropriate consideration. There is no need to be negative guys (constructive criticism is much nicer), we all need to start somewhere. Starting a Datacenter involves significant capital, so well done.

Constructive Criticism though - definitely get a good core switch when you can justify it - that's a 100% outage to replace, no one likes that. Secondly, I hope you have configure appropriate traffic control measures to keep fair use on a 2gbps peak line, while do-able (and not entirely unexpected given the pricing) its certainly a weak point that needs to be appropriately considered. I would advertise it as a pro either as to many people 2gbps is a liability (saturation, ddos, etc).

Anyway, Best of Luck. Long way to go but if you work hard you may make it. :)

OpticServers

Verified Provider
Alright i am going to clear a couple things up!

So you rented a basement and then put a uplink in it....

I have a shovenose feeling...
No... This was a room built just for this, we got contractors in to build this room just for OpticServers it has soundproofing in the walls and we have extraction and air filtration system in place + a Dedicated 100 AMP Curcuit

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Interesting, curious where exactly in London you're located and a test IP. Drop me a PM. :)

OpticServers

Verified Provider
As someone generally involved with service provider networking, I would recommend that you not disclose upstream capacity publicly.

Upstream filtering is usually dubious at best, and someone determined enough usually has no problem getting around it to flood you offline.
Our upstream Filtering is a Dedicated Arbor System that can filter up to 60Gbps.

Well done on doing it all yourself, however is that a NetGear switch as your "core" switch?

If so just be ready to upgrade it in the future, once you start adding more servers/racks!
Thank you AshleyUK, And Yes however it is one of the higher end NetGear Switch's but yes of course we will never allow any of our gear to become saturated or not be able to perform at its best so as soon as we start to get hardware bottle necking other hardware / networking gear we will change it out for better hardware.

We have high power extraction and air filtration on air coming into the room, We have a backup generator + we have 4 x 1200W UPS's and our Netgear switch is just to start off but it is one of the higher end Netgear Switch's and it has more then enough capacity for our current network and 2Gbps is more then enough for our current client base we are on MUCH larger fibre bearers so we can upgrade from 2Gbps to 10Gbps with in 10 Minutes.

Joe/Toby, it looks like a great startup.

Since you peer with VM do you mind PMing me a test IP? I'd like to see the latency since I'm on VM myself.
IP Sent.

Well I approve, regardless of size a new venture is a new venture and should be given appropriate consideration. There is no need to be negative guys (constructive criticism is much nicer), we all need to start somewhere. Starting a Datacenter involves significant capital, so well done.

Constructive Criticism though - definitely get a good core switch when you can justify it - that's a 100% outage to replace, no one likes that. Secondly, I hope you have configure appropriate traffic control measures to keep fair use on a 2gbps peak line, while do-able (and not entirely unexpected given the pricing) its certainly a weak point that needs to be appropriately considered. I would advertise it as a pro either as to many people 2gbps is a liability (saturation, ddos, etc).

Anyway, Best of Luck. Long way to go but if you work hard you may make it. :)
Thank you very much, i appreciate constructive criticism.. we are limiting Dedicated Ports (1Gbps) and VPS Ports (100Mbps) Yes but as i said to other guys is that we are on MUCH larger bearers so we can go from 2Gbps to 10Gbps with in 10 minutes. and yes once we start to sell our current switch reach its limit we will be purchasing a new switch that will last us

Not the fanciest looking setup in the world, but hey, you've gotta start somewhere!
Yes we do have to start somewhere :p thank you.

Again if anyone has any questions at all just email me or add me on skype i will be more then glad to answer!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Glad to see this went over better than usual :)

Small starting DC / server rooms indeed have to start somewhere.

I for one rather enjoy builds like this / wish to see more of them.

The McMega datacenter thing folks get their rocks off about here and on other hosting sites is just blah.   It's tired and it's for big business.  Nice that some hosts have widdled down the cost to even be in some of those places, but they aren't the solution to the world's problems - just makes in theory things an easier sale to customers. Plenty of those DC's after you peel back the veneer aren't really that great.  Sure they might have a big gen set and some racks with batteries... Sure they might have whatever for air handling...  But stuff is the same / does the same / can be done at smaller scale and do so just fine in a boutique model.

amuck-landowner