amuck-landowner

Panels Panels Panels..

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Hi,

I know there's been exploits in Solus lately and a lot of hype about others- Thanks to some right idiots wanting attention  :popcorn:

However as always I see threads with people saying they're making XYZ with support for bla bla bla but honestly whats the chances of even 20% of these new panels ever being completed or released as promised?

Seem's people are just wanting to copy SolusVM and take there "Spot" but the same thing happened before with HyperVM and SolusVM/VEPortal was the replacement.. in the end hardly any of these "Big guys" actually went ahead with what they said and a couple of years later guess what? were faced with the same issues again, and fuck mine how much of a gaping hole it left with the vuln recently found.

So what's the chance that even 20% of these so called VPS panels actually going into action?

Last edited by a moderator:

clone1018

The chance isn't very high, everyone wants to get their product into a market that everyone is relooking into, it's just how things work. Hopefully one of these panel projects will spawn something better then SolusVM was to HyperVM. But who knows.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
It would be nice to see a lot of the panels finish this time around, and actually be feature rich. The issue has been that promises are made and they aren't delivered upon. I feel like people are willing to pay for a quality product if it has constant updates and features being added as necessary, rather than empty promises by solus -- someone just has to actually commit to doing it, and do it well.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Pretty sure SolusVM is just lurking and seeing the responses to proposed features in some of these panels and writing them down for their next major release.

Reece-DM

Verified Provider
Pretty sure SolusVM is just lurking and seeing the responses to proposed features in some of these panels and writing them down for their next major release.
We can only hope.

@SkylarM, Sure is the case, I reckon majority of people who actually wanted it lacked the skills to pull it off. Its fine anybody could make a thread and say its gonna have this that and a hamster powering it. Just looks like people are trying to get some attention I've followed joepie's CVM which does seem to have some progress on it, though as he's stated himself theres no eta at all lol.

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Pretty sure SolusVM is just lurking and seeing the responses to proposed features in some of these panels and writing them down so they can say they are adding the features but never actually finish it and release something that can easily be exploited.
I fixed your post for you MannDude ;)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
99.9% chance for Stallion.
I just finished writing the WHMCS module about 20 minutes ago actually.. writing the last function of the Stallion-side API now, then I'll likely get tw and bfj involved in some testing if they have the time. Fran still has the KVM provisioning to wrap up, and this weekend I'll be writing the scripts to convert the S1 database over to S2 format. Barring any more nodes deciding to seppuku their MBs, it'll be in production use before the end of the month.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Its too bad that the only functional vps panel alternative to solusvm is something that isn't really available to us normal folks
Well, we're in the business of selling VPSes, not selling panels. Giving it out would pretty much defeat the purpose of why we built it in the first place :(

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
I am curious to know your quick answer for Why you are building it?
Features and ease of use. With Stallion1, we tried to mimic as much of Solus as we could (and added in a few things we always felt were silly to not have, or were broken). Stallion2 is receiving a feature set you simply don't find on distributed panels. We'll also be integrating support and billing in as well down the road, and moving away from WHMCS to have a simple all-in-one. We wanted something to suit OUR needs, not generic needs.. and the only way to do that is to build in-house.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
This makes sense. Why Fran keeps saying he would/might give it to few hosts? What might be the criteria?
Because I might :) There are a few hosts that would be able to use it with minimal issue or with minor tweaks. It isn't suited for the general public though.

It all comes down to 'do I like you? do I like your company? do I want to give you a huge advantage in the market?'

Francisco

Marc M.

Phoenix VPS
Verified Provider
The fact of the matter remains that Stallion is the only real contender to SolusVM. It looks like allot of effort went into it and Francisco and Aldryc did an awesome job from what I have seen (posted screenshots, publicly available info, etc.).

Would I use it? Absolutely, if it will become available for licensing. I definitively have more faith in Francisco and Aldryc than I have in Solus that they provide quality code for two reasons: 1) They love and are passionate about what they are doing and two, money isn't by far their only motivation. By the way, I am sorry and I appologize to you Aldryc for getting into an argument about this a while ago. You were right.

Either way, Stallion stands as proof that it can be done, and that it can be done right :)

KuJoe

Verified Provider
I decided to get VPSM going because of SolusVM and the other panels begin made. The VPS industry has no quality FOSS option and nobody wants to spend time or money building one so we (Secure Dragon and DimeCadmium) are.

It won't be flashy or feature packed, but it will be 100% FOSS and production friendly.

acd

Because I might :) There are a few hosts that would be able to use it with minimal issue or with minor tweaks. It isn't suited for the general public though.

It all comes down to 'do I like you? do I like your company? do I want to give you a huge advantage in the market?'

Francisco
Panel tease.

amuck-landowner