amuck-landowner

RamNode changes backup policy for CVZ-E5, CKVM-E5 Plans

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Just got this from RamNode:

Hello,

This message is to all CVZ-E5 and CKVM-E5 clients.

Due to the amount of time and I/O required to fully back up all VPSs on our CVZ-E5 and CKVM-E5 nodes, we have changed the backup interval to monthly for all CVZ-E5 and CKVM-E5 plans. These nodes require almost all of (and in several cases more than) the entire week to complete backups. We expect to have more flexible backup options available in the not too distant future which will allow clients to make better use of our free backup system.

Manual Quick Backups are still available for all OpenVZ VPSs: https://clientarea.ramnode.com/knowledgebase.php?action=displayarticle&id=68

Thanks,

Nick

Slownode

Monthly, welp that's kinda useless.

Why not just mount a virtual/net drive on people's VMs for people to use themselves for backing things up?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
+1 for them creating backups in the first place. Not really the responsibility or expected that the provider would do this in the low-end market. I didn't even know that was a feature they had, to be honest. 1 day, 1 week, 1 month? Doens't matter, because I'm the customer and am responsible for my own backups, so I create my own. ;)

Of course not all subscribe to that mentality and expect their provider to foot the bill for making frequent backups.

Last edited by a moderator:

Amitz

I was impressed that they are doing backups at all when I read the eMail. I was not aware of this. I mean - I pay peanuts for my RamNode VPS and get back quite a lot of power and reliability. I always considered backups as my obligation, especially with "cheap" virtual servers. So I even would not care if they would stop taking backups completely in future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Quexis

Verified Provider
Monthly, welp that's kinda useless. Why not just mount a virtual/net drive on people's VMs for people to use themselves for backing things up?
We can (and have done so dozens of times today after this email) enable the Quick Backup functionality for any client that tickets in. This can be used to restore individual parts of the filesystem, or we can use it to restore everything.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
No problem for me.  It's extra service they don't have to do, but they do anyways
No problem for me too. Due to the 50 GB to 250 GB plans they need a lot of backup space.

Monthly offsite backups for free is a nice to have for that huge disk space.

VPSCorey

Verified Provider
With OpenVZ the best solution is a CDP style backup through Idera, Vembu, or Bacula4Hosts.  Once the initial backup happens then the rest are just the changed bits which happens a lot quicker.  Best solution is one with dedup as well so all those OS copies dont take up too much space.

amuck-landowner