amuck-landowner

Raspberry Pi 2

rmlhhd

Verified Provider
rDesktop works well on the Pi 2, with sound disabled it's really smooth. Even with sound it works well but audio lags a lot.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Oh, derp... it requires a microSD card... the only one I have is being used for something else (Mobius actioncam)

Hrm. Guess I need to get a new microSD card...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Those numbers don't at quick glance look so hot.

UnixBench (w/ all processors)

UnixBench (w/ one processor)

So single processor = 197 but 4 cores = 500.... You'd expect, oh 700+.

Wondering if when folks get this running, if they will see cores being used and all properly without custom tweaking or idle cores often.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It appears to only do it when taken with an xenon flash vs that of an LED flash. Strange indeed.

It appears that U16, the SMPS chip, is the culprit.
Someone covered that chip with blue-tac and confirmed it was the culprit as it stopped powering down afterwards:

pgeZRIRl.jpg

Yes, bit of bluetac on that chip and it survives the flash:

Looking at the board under strong light, both U8 and U16 are much more reflective than other chips,
but as you say covering U16 fixes the issue.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It appears to only do it when taken with an xenon flash vs that of an LED flash. Strange indeed.

Someone covered that chip with blue-tac and confirmed it was the culprit as it stopped powering down afterwards:
What is the electronic component that they covered in that blue-tac hack?

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
That would appear to be a power related piece.  Any discussion elsewhere about it?  Unsure how someone accidentally missed this design shortcoming.
It's been mentioned in a few places today. It's now known, but interestingly enough this isn't the first time a component or piece of electrical equipment has experienced this...

http://www.nrc.gov/reading-rm/doc-collections/gen-comm/info-notices/1997/in97082.html

Information Notice No. 97-82: Inadvertent Control Room Halon Actuation due to a Camera Flash
At 9:45 a.m., the training representative took a flash photograph of the alarm reset/silence pushbuttons inside the FDS control panel. The first flash caused an annunciator inside the panel to sound. The cabinet door on the panel was closed and an examination of the front panel showed no lock-in alarm indications. The cabinet door on the panel was reopened and a second flash photograph was taken within 2 minutes of the first picture. The second flash caused a second alarm with a different tone, indicating that system actuation was imminent. Within 3 to 5 seconds of the second flash, Halon discharged from the overhead nozzles. The discharge occurred at 9:47 a.m. and lasted for 10 to 12 seconds. It was characterized by a loud roar, fog, and significant air turbulence.

http://www.antipope.org/charlie/blog-static/rants/nothing-like-this-will-be-buil.html

For starters, some embedded controllers in racks in the auxilliary deisel generator control rooms have EPROMs which have been known to be erased by camera flashes in the past, triggering a generator trip; for seconds, we had to wear protective clothing -- try explaining to a visitor that their expensive Nikon has been contaminated and needs to be left behind!

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
OMG, camera flash wiped EEPROM in nuclear facility and exposed people to radiation is what I got from that.

Simple frequency at play here.   Might be impacted otherwise - non visible light areas.   Really concerning in general since indicates fragility of component.   

I am no electronics engineer, but I suspect quite a bit of equipment isn't properly hardened and susceptible to targeted frequency attacks - attacks that otherwise would go unnoticed and create no other signs of their presence.

d2d4j

Hi

Sorry, I might be old but does no one remember the Simpson episode where the robots were killed by simple cameras with flash bulbs. It was the itchy and scratch theme park episode.

That was in the nineties I think, and good to see it holds true today, in case were ever invaded by robots.

Many thanks

John

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Good to know, guess I shouldn't take a Polaroid snap of it when it comes in lol.

Still need to grab a case and stuff for it. Maybe I should have taken a trip over to Microcenter for all of this.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
It doesn't actually harm the Pi... just causes it to reset/reboot when powered on from what I understand. Just reboot and it'll be back to normal.

amuck-landowner