amuck-landowner

Scaleway Launches Native IPv6 and IPv6 only 1.99/mo

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Scaleway continues to impress.

Now they've launched IPv6 natively and are even discounting those 2.99 instance further if you use IPv6 only.

IPv6 will also let you spare €1 per server if you don't need a public IPv4. As such, you can now benefit from a VPS with 2GB of ram, 50GB of SSD, 200Mbit/s unmetered bandwidth for as low as €1.99 per month.

Source: https://blog.scaleway.com/2016/03/31/introducing-native-ipv6-connectivity-on-scaleway/

Reactions: fm7

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
IPv6 will also let you spare €1 per server if you don't need a public IPv4

You could already save €1  by launching IPv4-less servers that only used private networking private IPs (perfect for database severs and other non-public facing uses).

Starting now, IPv6 is available on all our C2 and VPS servers

My poor little ARM C1 servers have to wait...

The IPv6 is tied to the physical server or to the slot of your VPS. This means that your IPv6 will change if you stop your server. We're already working on new options to let you migrate your IPv6 between your servers.

Which means updating DNS settings if you turn off your server and have a domain tied to that IPv6

Scaleway continues to impress.

I'm always impressed when a hosting company innovates instead of following the crowd and slapping some off the shelf solution on their website (of course it's easier to come up with the funds to innovate when your parent company is one of the largest ISPs and mobile operators in France).  

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah their parent owner helps.

Have to say thought they could go Quanta manufacturing gear like other big companies and call it a day and or buy from other vendors.

I am impressed that they are actually producing computers there in France.  We need more of this all over the old industrialized world.

willie

Is ipv6 available for the C1 servers now?  There was some technical obstacle to that earlier.  C1's with no internet (reachable only from other Scaleway servers through LAN) have been available for 1.99/month for a while and I figured the 1.00 charge for internet connectivity was partly for the ipv4 address and partly for bandwidth.  So it's interesting that the bandwidth without the ipv4 is now free.

Also of possible interest, the C1 costs 0.99 euro/month for the server + 1.00/month per 50GB for LSSD volumes + optional 1.00/month for (ipv4) internet.  You can change the LSSD size in 50GB increments through the web panel, but you can apparently set it in 1GB increments through the API.  So you can configure a C1 with 5GB of LSSD that way.  What I don't know is if you still get charged 1.00 or just 0.10.  I wonder if you can really get a C1 compute server with minimal disk for 1.09/month.  Of course it could still transfer data to/from other servers through the LAN, or now through ipv6, or soon using the object store.

fm7

I'm always impressed when a hosting company innovates instead of following the crowd and slapping some off the shelf solution on their website (of course it's easier to come up with the funds to innovate when your parent company is one of the largest ISPs and mobile operators in France).  

Yeah their parent owner helps.

Have to say thought they could go Quanta manufacturing gear like other big companies and call it a day and or buy from other vendors.

I am impressed that they are actually producing computers there in France.  We need more of this all over the old industrialized world.

Think about ... government giveaways  :)

From swifnoc - WHT 09-17-13

Are you aware of structural development funds in the European Union?

Suppose there is a company that makes unique, custom servers and it applies for EU grants for development and production of these servers, the amount of grant they can get is limited to (1) how much they can borrow from a bank, as 1/4th of the required funding must be supplied by a bank and (2) by the demand the market has for the product.
Good news on the demand side, as the same owners of said company also have a company that rents out dedicated servers... do you see where this goes? the company that produces the servers can make huge profits as long as there is a buyer for the servers. Profit is funded by the EU in a roundabout way, these profit can be invested in the company that buys the servers to sustain growth & lure investors to do the same.
Unfortunately, this type of funding is only available until the end of 2013 and most applications for funding had to be in by now and are either accepted or rejected, i guess this creates a problem for a certain business model.
Just my personal suspicion here...

SwiftNoc - WHT - 08-22-13

On the financing of hardware:
Its called European Regional Development Fund (ERDF) and they are available for innovative products. Suppose Company X develops such an innovative product (with EU grants under ERDF) and Company Y buys those products (with EU grants, ESF or ERDF) and both companies are owned by the same people - then it will not matter much that Company Y is not renting out the product at a profit, as long it somehow breaks even (easy to do with 3/4th of the product paid by the EU).
Company X makes the profit, Company Y is buying the product en deploys it at break even, at a very low price to attract many customers leasing the product, so there is justification to buy more of the product from Company X.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
It's good gov is getting behind this in France.  I am against dole outs though.  However, having domestic industry to compete and sell abroad is vital.  Ideally the dollars come with sharing and licensing agreements for other French companies.

I wish govs weren't doing this, but sovereign funds in places like China leverage huge sums wrecking things and without regard.   It's economic warfare.

fm7

It's good gov is getting behind this in France.  I am against dole outs though.  However, having domestic industry to compete and sell abroad is vital.  Ideally the dollars come with sharing and licensing agreements for other French companies.

I wish govs weren't doing this, but sovereign funds in places like China leverage huge sums wrecking things and without regard.   It's economic warfare.

The European Commission allocates part of the EU budget to companies and organisations in the form of calls for tender, grants or funds and other financing programmes.

http://ec.europa.eu/contracts_grants/grants_en.htm

E.g.: Research or innovation project: http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/how-get-funding

YourLastHost

Verified Provider
This is really nice as a small step in web hosting innovation and in the slow movement to IPv6. With some economic advantage, it will most certainly help people who have their "project" or "learning" sites to move over, but with the sad state of current IPv6 support, it won't be making a huge difference in the IPv6 overall pool. That's okay, though, since I doubt that was their mission in the first place ;)

Kudos.

willie

It means that economic pressure on ipv4 has gotten real, which a huge provider like online/scaleway finding itself with more servers than v4 addresses.  Given that lots of "cloud" customers are using those boxes as infrastructure servers rather than public-facing, ipv6 is a big win.

fm7

It means that economic pressure on ipv4 has gotten real, which a huge provider like online/scaleway finding itself with more servers than v4 addresses.  Given that lots of "cloud" customers are using those boxes as infrastructure servers rather than public-facing, ipv6 is a big win.

1. Online.net started providing native IPv6 many years ago. And it is more than regular IPv6, it is IPv6 failover for free.

2. DC-2 has 4,500m2,  DC-3 (11,800m2+3,400m2), DC-4 (7,500m2)  and Iliad is also building DC-5. Note: Server room spaces.

3. Iliad is the 3rd largest telecom group in France and offers broadband (18 million subscribers).

4. Online.net has less than 90,000 dedicated servers.

IPv4 likely not a problem :)

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
4. Online.net has less than 90,000 dedicated servers.

IPv4 likely not a problem :)

Agree. Iliad / Online.net is one of the few that doesn't need to worry about an IPv4 shortage..yet.

AS 12876 Online SAS has 245,760 IPv4  + AS 12322 Free SAS  has 11,116,544 IPv4 (of which 1 x /12, 2 x /13, 2 x /16, and 1 x /18 are Online SAS prefixes...about 2.2 million  of those 11.12 million).  So about 2.5 million IPv4 with Online SAS prefixes. OVH by contrast has "only" 1.6 million IPs.

It's good gov is getting behind this in France. 

It probably helps that Iliad CEO Niel (the 9th richest person in France) has been buying up major media properties in France (including the most highly respected French paper LeMonde  ). which gives him a voice to have his ideas heard by the gov and promote the need to develop a strong French tech industry :)

His critics have only one explanation: By getting his hands on Le Monde, the businessman is buying himself both some respectability and a formidable tool for influence...

Indeed, Niel doesn't deny that. Since acquiring Le Monde, he says he wastes less time trying to track down political leaders. ...

http://www.worldcrunch.com/business-finance/what-039-s-driving-xavier-niel-france-039-s-mercurial-tech-billionaire-/iliad-t-mobile-entrepreneur-free-school-investment-42/c2s17640/

willie

Well I don't know the story then, but scaleway is out of ip's a lot of the time, even when they have servers.  I thought v6 would help them deal with that issue once they got it working.  Maybe it's more of an administrative thing, getting v4's from online.net. 

wlanboy

Content Contributer
Well I don't know the story then, but scaleway is out of ip's a lot of the time, even when they have servers.  I thought v6 would help them deal with that issue once they got it working.  Maybe it's more of an administrative thing, getting v4's from online.net. 

They will route blocks and not single ips. So management has to decide if yet another /xx block will be switched into the Scaleway project or not. 

fm7

It probably helps that Iliad CEO Niel (the 9th richest person in France) has been buying up major media properties in France (including the most highly respected French paper LeMonde  ). which gives him a voice to have his ideas heard by the gov and promote the need to develop a strong French tech industry :)

Agreed. :)

Niel makes no secret of his ambitions for Paris: "we must strengthen the international reputation of Paris. My idea is to open a visible and iconic place, for Parisians, of course, but also for province and abroad entrepreneurs.":

March 31, 2016

Today, greater Paris is home to 12,000 startups; a number that actually exceeds London or Berlin as it happens. In addition, the largest incubator in the world - aiming for 1,000 startups - will open its doors at la Halle Freyssinet this year, thanks to Free’s CEO, Xavier Niel.

http://www.mitchellake.com/news/2016/3/31/eurotrip-slash-slash-a-journey-through-europes-startup-scene-france

La mégacité numérique de Xavier Niel

Avec la halle Freyssinet, Xavier Niel veut faire de Paris la capitale européenne de l'innovation. 35 000 mètres carrés, 1 000 start-up attendues.

A chaque pharaon sa pyramide. Il était sur son chantier le 20 mai 2015 avec le maire du 13e, Jérôme Coumet. Lui, ce n'est autre que l'infatigable Xavier Niel. Grand patron, investisseur et mécène de l'innovation made in France, l'actuel PDG du groupe de télécommunications Iliad-Free s'est lancé dans un projet vertigineux : construire, en plein coeur de la capitale et à quelques encablures du métro Chevaleret, le plus grand incubateur numérique au monde. En chiffres, la Halle Freyssinet, aussi longue qu'un TGV (310 mètres), donne le tournis : près de 35 000 mètres carrés (soit cinq terrains de football), 1 000 start-up attendues, plusieurs Fablabs, un auditorium, une bibliothèque. Cette mégacité vouée à l'innovation, Xavier Niel et la mairie de Paris - en particulier l'adjoint au développement économique d'Anne Hidalgo et ancien administrateur du groupe Iliad-Free, Jean-Louis Missika - en rêvaient depuis longtemps... "Les voies de chemin de fer vont être recouvertes. On est en train d'inventer un nouveau quartier et de désenclaver la Halle Freyssinet avec des rues, des logements, des espaces verts, des magasins et des restaurants", explique le grand patron. "C'est un projet social et urbanistique ; le quartier va renaître. Imaginez, plus de 5 000 jeunes vont y vivre toute l'année."

Xavier Niel ne cache pas ses ambitions pour Paris : "Il faut renforcer le rayonnement de Paris à l'international. Mon idée est d'ouvrir un lieu emblématique et visible, pour les Parisiens, bien sûr, mais aussi pour les entrepreneurs de province et de l'étranger."

Innovation.

Car le patron d'Iliad poursuit la même marotte depuis longtemps : aider les jeunes ! "Tout le monde n'est pas Steve Jobs. Certains doivent accompagner, conseiller, porter. Voilà l'ambition de la Halle Freyssinet", précise Xavier Niel. Le chemin est encore long et l'ouverture, elle, prévue pour début 2017. D'autant plus que, de l'autre côté de la Manche, Londres bénéficie de quelques années d'avance. Dès 2010, la ville, sous l'impulsion du Premier ministre, David Cameron, a parié sur l'innovation avec le projet Tech City UK, dont le coeur bat en plein coeur du quartier branché de Shoreditch. Il était temps que notre belle endormie se dote, elle aussi, d'un temple du numérique.

Et quel temple ! La Halle Freyssinet, bâtiment des années 20 situé le long des voies de la gare d'Austerlitz, était jusqu'alors la propriété de la SNCF. Rachetée pour 70 millions d'euros par le consortium formé par le milliardaire et la Caisse des dépôts et consignations, la halle sera réhabilitée par le célèbre architecte Jean-Michel Wilmotte. "C'est un projet qui marquera notre époque,assure l'architecte. Il est divisé en trois parties : un village pour les start-up, une zone ouverte au public avec des salles de réunion, des bureaux, des ateliers et un restaurant ouvert en permanence. Ce lieu doit être le phare du quartier. Ce nouvel axe sera la colonne vertébrale qui reliera la gare d'Austerlitz à la banlieue." Et, comme ce projet est avant tout un lieu de création et que Xavier Niel aime travailler en s'amusant, il conclut : "Je souhaite que la halle soit ludique, sympa et jeune."

http://www.lepoint.fr/villes/la-megacite-numerique-de-xavier-niel-22-06-2015-1938821_27.php

BTW Iliad made a $20 billion offer in 2014 to buy two-thirds of T-Mobile US -- the offer was rebuffed by Deutsche Telekom. More recently Xavier Niel has increased his stake in Telecom Italia to just over 15 percent of the voting rights, strengthening his position as the carrier's second-largest shareholder. He has already snapped up other operators in Europe, such as Orange Switzerland -- now Salt Mobile -- and Monaco Telecom. He is also behind Golan Telecom in Israel. The latest rumours to emerge are that he has been exploring options to enter the UK market.

fm7

Scaleway is a cloud division of Online.net.

Last November Online.net launched a semi-dedicated/dedicated Web hosting service called Cloud Hosting Powered by Scaleway  (max 2 tenants per C1 server).

eXXhmiZ.jpg

Online.net CEO/CTO Arnaud de Bermingham said the "Hybrid hosting" service was a "big success" (Nov 12, 2015). Interestingly, the C1s, launched on April 2, 2015 costing 10€/720h, heavily promoted in May ("Get your May month free and run up to 10 BareMetal servers", and after a huge price cut in September ("We are slashing the C1 price by 70 percent") didn't seem a success. In fact, French forums had a lot of criticism posted by developers about ARM's 32-bit and lack of available software: compilers, operating systems, DBMS (e.g; Postgres), etc. I guess the frankenstein "Hybrid hosting"  was born to increase C1 usage / justify EU grants so I guess the C1/IPv4 shortage was somewhat artificial, ultimately caused by product flop -- forcing Online.net to create a new product to reduce the number of idle C1s.

Online.net - Arnaud ‏@online_fr

Gros succès de nos offres web cloud http://bit.ly/1QkRuXZ . Simplicité du mutu, puissance d'un dédié, le tout supervisé/managé = TTM rapide

Translated from French by Bing

Big success of our offers web cloud http://bit.ly/1QkRuXZ . Simplicity of the mutu, power of a dedicated, the any supervised/managed = fast TTM

Regarding IPv6, Online.net requires use of DHCP (with unique ID per block) to allocate IPv6 addresses to a server. Moving IPv6 is a matter of moving those IDs, allowing the customer to move IPv6 addresses to servers hosted in others PODs or others Iliad data centers if you want.

PwGmfo5.jpg

Online.net: /48 per customer

Scaleway's initial implementation seems to be based on the MAC address -- I guess due the huge number of users and/or Scaleway's current lack of block delegation feature.

fm7

Regarding IPv6, Online.net requires use of DHCP (with unique ID per block) to allocate IPv6 addresses to a server.

Clarification: Actually the IP is static. The DCHPV6 client  (e.g. Dibbler) is used to announce your subnet to be routed towards your server;

:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

iface eth0 inet6 static
   netmask 56
   address 2001:bc8:xxxx:100::1

W0VITbb.jpg

amuck-landowner