amuck-landowner

StyleXNetworks Going Out of Business

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Remember that LET host about a year or two back that offered the first five PM-ers a 256MB Free VPS Hosting for life???

Well...  they're going out of business at the end of the month.

Dear clients,

StyleX Networks Inc. will be closing on 9/30/2014. Please note that all services will be terminated on 9/30/2014, please take any and all necessary back ups to prevent data loss. StyleX Networks will not be responsible for any data loss.

During this duration no payments are required.

Regards,
Joshua.

StyleX Networks Inc.
Simple yet professional!
I mean, I'm not too surprised or annoyed by it because I wasn't paying for the VM, but it's a bummer seeing them go.

StyleXnetworks was offering OnApp XEN VPS Hosting and Anycast DNS Hosting for several years now.  

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
What? FreeVPS isn't a viable business model :) ?

Hate to see folks go, but the market is overstuffed with turkeys and it isn't even Thanksgiving, gobble.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
If I had to put a thumb on something...

OnApp.
After reading the complaints on WHT over the past few years, and the comments made by former contractors, I'd put my thumb on it being a case of a poorly managed company that ran out of money.

OnApp has had some bugs  and some more bugs but I don't think it was the main cause of their downfall.

TrentaHost

I hate whenever providers just close shop like that and leave their clients stranded... Atleast give your clients to someone else who can do a better job and provide a safe home until they can move to a different provider or stick with the new provider.

sv01

Slow but sure
They were hosting with Multacom right?
Yups

MULTACOM CORPORATION MULTA-NET11 (NET-108-166-192-0-1) 108.166.192.0 - 108.166.223.255
STYLEX Networks INC STYLEX-NETWORKS-INC-CLIENTS (NET-108-166-200-0-1) 108.166.200.0 - 108.166.200.255
my VPS on one of these IP's ;)

msp - nick

Verified Provider
I would've purchased this business if they'd posted about it.. 

I hate providers going out of business without an actual sale - why setup shop? The customers could be happy with a new formed management.

Serveo

Verified Provider
Strange situation. Why not offer the business.

Nevertheless we have a Onapp based cloud ourselves. We are with them from the very beginning. Yes bugs, bugs and some more bugs but they are solved or supported. We never had downtime expect during our testing period, and that was even our own error.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Anyone know why they are going out of business?

If I had to put a thumb on something...

OnApp.

I would've purchased this business if they'd posted about it.. 

I hate providers going out of business without an actual sale - why setup shop? The customers could be happy with a new formed management.
OnApp was some of their issues but I think they used a subpar SAN setup to begin with which did them in heavily.

There's nothing wrong with off-the-shelf SAN setups (big ass nix box w/ some fast connectors), but if you don't know what you're doing you're going to lose your mind on it.

They had a decent following on their shared side and got quite a few positive mentions on WHT, so it just sounds like a lot of their issues were management. Supposedly the original owner left/wasn't involved and the new person ran things into the ground at mach speed.

Francisco

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
OnApp isn't cheap to go and do a proper spec'd installation.  So self pocketbook wounding at the door.  Large monthly payment and a day one bigger installation than a normal hosting company.

SANs, yeah, gets complicated and like Fran said fast interconnects, again, not cheap and not the average hosting company setup.

OnApp has installed base with success, but seems to be higher paying, more premium level service [as it should be from the installation costs, licensing, features, etc.].

Looks like their last VPS offer on WHT was back in December 2013....  

http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=1327949

All why I point to OnApp.  Hard to upsell the lowenders [which they've targetted as customers in past] and hard to break out into the real hosting market where folks pay real cashola unless you have a team, resources and a proper plan.

concerto49

Verified Provider
Yups

MULTACOM CORPORATION MULTA-NET11 (NET-108-166-192-0-1) 108.166.192.0 - 108.166.223.255
STYLEX Networks INC STYLEX-NETWORKS-INC-CLIENTS (NET-108-166-200-0-1) 108.166.200.0 - 108.166.200.255
my VPS on one of these IP's ;)
Ah yeah. We were there too. Just moved into Coresite.

Would have purchased them if they sold. Might have combined the Multacom effort and expanded instead.

KuJoe

Verified Provider
Looks like they went offline early according to some users on WHT. Why bother sending out an e-mail with a date if you don't know when your nodes are going offline?

NullMind

Verified Provider
All why I point to OnApp.  Hard to upsell the lowenders [which they've targetted as customers in past] and hard to break out into the real hosting market where folks pay real cashola unless you have a team, resources and a proper plan.
Well, thats a bit unfair, first I personally don't know why this specific host is going out of business, but for any company, if the tool you buy does not fit within your business model, either technically or financially, you can't blame the tool itself, also there are other VM management systems out there such as Solus, etc that one can use if he needs a cheaper offer, it's not unheard of for companies to completely revamp their systems with a different solution in order to fit their offer better.

Going out of business is a hard thing for anybody to do, so I feel for the team that had to make that decision.

Carlos

pmelt

I got the email with the Sep 30 deadline and was preparing to move my sites this weekend. This is my world and my business. 

Yesterday my server hung, and now a restart request has been hanging for 24 hours, and no one will answer the phone or tickets. I had a backup plan with them as well. I have some old site backups, but no recent backups and NO database backups. 

Anyone have any idea what i can do to get in touch with SOMEONE. This is really bad.

Thanks.

amuck-landowner