amuck-landowner

The CC gang & shell companies

imperio

Another example, I am dealing with internap for cloud/dedicated services lately.They do not offer cloud services on denver and Hong Kong locations.I have to buy from their resellers for these locations.Sometimes you have to buy from somehow low reputable or new companies.I protect myself by doing monthlies in this kind of situations.

vRozenSch00n

Pay with paypal and only monthly contracts if you are not sure about the provider.How can you be scammed this way ? Or you will lose $7 at most if paypal rejects your dispute.People on other countries shopping from low end market mostly takes this route i guess.
I don't have a PayPal account anymore. 

I had several VPSes with Constantinos and I set PayPal subscription for each VPS.

When Hostrail starts to sink, I canceled all subscription to Hostrail.

The next day, I received an e-mail from PayPal notifying that my account is freeze due to suspicious activity.

I can pay with credit card through PayPal, but some providers forced me to open a PayPal account first without any option to pay directly using my credit/debit card.

imperio

Paypal sucks especially if you are from some high fraud country but you have the option not to work with companies that you do not feel comfortable enough with buyer protection.Money back guarantee can also work.I know vps is a virtual good however if there are lots of disputes for the same company paypal will notice there is something wrong.You can also chargeback via your credit card company.

terafire

Verified Provider
ColoCrossing, although as evil as it is, are extremely smart when it comes to their inherent takeover of the low-end VPS market. Not only do they own/operate or have a very high vested interest in many of the companies that out-price all the competition, but they also push semi-successful companies out of business that could be seen as competition. On top of that they own and operate LET/LEB which means they basically have the last say in anything that gets posted there, and control the marketplace, with obvious favoritism toward their own companies, and companies that do business with them (but aren't big enough to be legitimate competition). Although they way they went about this takeover wasn't exactly smooth, they don't care. In the long run, people from countries all over the world, will frequent those sites, not caring or knowing about what is going on, therefore companies (such as us) post there so we can get that business. 

If you don't find a problem with that, then you choose to either have your head stuck in the sand, or you simply do business with them, and can't afford to talk badly about them because of the possible repercussions.

SrsX

Banned
Decided to register on lowendbox and communicate with Mr. Biloh, let's see how this goes, seeing as I have access to resources which his name is in... a lot.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I think most folks are just outright afraid of them (CC). 

What strikes me as odd is they are rather puny.   Good sized small business, but in big picture, puny.  Kind of like being afraid of the grade school bully.

There are other low cost places all over the globe.  I don't see any of the crazy behavior with the ownership of those places.  None of the industry fear. Zippo.

Can't most of these VPS companies survive without CC providing freebies, welfare and sweetheart deals?   That's what it has to be.  People are afraid of burning that last ditch bridge they might need before drowning.

wlanboy

Content Contributer
If you don't find a problem with that, then you choose to either have your head stuck in the sand, or you simply do business with them, and can't afford to talk badly about them because of the possible repercussions.
Don't care about it because you cannot change how they are working is more the way I am thing about it.

jarland

The ocean is digital
Don't care about it because you cannot change how they are working is more the way I am thing about it.
Not about changing it. It's consumer awareness. People have a right to know, that's all. If everyone goes quiet about it, the new member tomorrow won't know. So if you do care, then what's wrong with it?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Something I just read is making me cackle like a mad fool.

Maarten claims there is 147 pending offers. *Somehow*, without any sort of manipulation of course, they picked out 19 offers for Chris N alone, not counting the other funny offers.

VPSAce *still* hasn't had their hack documented. In fact, ol' Alex is trying to play it off that it isn't their fault and they are the victim. Hey, fair enough, they were too dumb to rotate their password. What's up for discussion, though, is that they've still not emailed a single customer about this, or informed Visa/Mastercard of the hack.

Francisco

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
VPSAce *still* hasn't had their hack documented. In fact, ol' Alex is trying to play it off that it isn't their fault and they are the victim. Hey, fair enough, they were too dumb to rotate their password. What's up for discussion, though, is that they've still not emailed a single customer about this, or informed Visa/Mastercard of the hack.
Did someone have an official route for notifying Visa and Mastercard of this?  I'll pry my fat ass off the couch and fill out the paperwork/complaint if so - for the benefit of the customers victimized - since these folks inevitably are screwed since their full credit card info was exposed.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Did someone have an official route for notifying Visa and Mastercard of this?  I'll pry my fat ass off the couch and fill out the paperwork/complaint if so - for the benefit of the customers victimized - since these folks inevitably are screwed since their full credit card info was exposed.
Talk with domainbop.

They put in a formal complaint for CVPS (or so they say).

Francisco

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Visa Incident Response Center:

USA 1-650-432-2978, [email protected]

Canada  1-416-860-3090 [email protected]

These 2 guides should be required reading for anyone who accepts credit cards so they know what to do if they're hacked:

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/cisp_what_to_do_if_compromised.pdf

http://usa.visa.com/download/merchants/cisp_responding_to_a_data_breach.pdf

There is a short outline of the steps to take here: http://usa.visa.com/merchants/risk_management/cisp_if_compromised.html .You're supposed to notify your merchant provider within 3 business days when a breach occurs.

...edited to add MasterCard

http://www.mastercard.com/us/merchant/pdf/Account_Data_Compromise_User_Guide.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

Virtovo

Verified Provider
Not announcing a breach is one thing.  When that breach includes credit card numbers with the means to decrypt them it takes it to a totally new level.  Do Visa/Mastercard not have systems to spot patterns in illegal usage of card numbers to identify where breaches occurred? 

javaj

Not announcing a breach is one thing.  When that breach includes credit card numbers with the means to decrypt them it takes it to a totally new level.  Do Visa/Mastercard not have systems to spot patterns in illegal usage of card numbers to identify where breaches occurred? 

They do, Target, which is a large US retailer announced they were breached this week. According to AP they didn't discover it themselves, it was the CC Companies who notified them of the breach.

amuck-landowner