amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Today's Miscellaneous hosting world links worthy of a cesspit:

1. New Jersey hosting mogul beloved by many of you sues the gubment (I'll leave it up to you to do a google search...first name is Dave)

2.  Italy's largest host sponsors a racing team (I made it through less than 2 minutes of this 50 minute video before hitting the back button)...

What's the baron of Vultr suing the government for?  [SIZE=13.63636302948px]Prestige?[/SIZE]

Last edited by a moderator:

rds100

Verified Provider
I think it's at least $20 per Mbps for real internet transit. Don't confuse residential speeds / residential bandwidth with real internet transit bandwidth.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
How high is pricing in datacenter recently and don't consumers there have a massive amount of bandwidth very cheaply?
Starts at 5$ (HE Promos, normally 7$) over 10-15$ (Telia, Pacnet, Wharf, Hutchinson on Gbit commit) to 20-30$ (everyone at commits sub 100Mbit) to impressive 80$+ (China Direct First and Next Gen Carrier Network (NGCN)).

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Sounds reasonable, 6$ median at 10GE is pretty much available in all major Asian cities (Seoul, HK, SG, even Thailand/Bangkok).

The 18$ in Brazil are due to factual PTT Metro monopoly for international transit/transport.

170$ in Lagos is also realistic but not representative for the entire continent - BW in ZA costs around 20$/Mbit on sub-GigE commit, MA is around 15$, LY is the cheapest (they have their own cable to Italy) at around 10$ but with no real government (read: One in Tripolis and one in Benghazi) i would not host there currently.

Israel should be the cheapest in the middle east (4-5$), followed closely by Saudi Arabia (own cable system to Malta/Italy/France, around 10$) and then by Dubai/UAE (30$+). Kuwait and Qatar both invest in new international links and have cheap power (Gas and Oil respectively) and should follow suit within the next 2-3 years.

rds100

Verified Provider
Who has an owned WHMCS license? I want to know if the owned licenses can also benefit from a free additional dev license or not. (can't be bothered to open a ticket with WHMCS at the moment and ask them directly).

k0nsl

Bad Goy
No, it went on for quite a bit of time. Plus much of their other subdomains, etc,.  In a way it was a fairly quick fix considering the extent, though.

It is a normal website for me as well. It must have been a pretty quick fix on their end.

k0nsl

Bad Goy
Anyone here using SSDVPS [1]? They just terminated my account for "non-payment" / "overdue on payment" - but I always pay my bills, of course, and got proof of payment. AFAIK, this company is CC shell or based with them. I had no idea at the time (05/12/2013, to be specific) and only needed a cheap VPS and it has worked surprisingly well....except it keeps getting terminated every now and then probably due to PayPal being wonky, or..? At any rate, if this isn't a mistake on their part I just wanted to warn others about them. I've got a ticket with them about it which has not been answered as of now...so we'll see how it unfolds during the day.

References:

1. hxxps://ssdvps.com/

Geek

Technolojesus
Verified Provider
11033726_1197755123587272_1052851586712773902_n.jpg

amuck-landowner