amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

Punjabi

@Francisco

uname -a returns this

Linux vps 2.6.32-042stab084.14 #1 SMP Mon Dec 16 18:16:56 MSK 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is the support response that I got

"The RAM is bustable up to 256mb, it would automatically burst normally when you go over the default RAM amount for this package."

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
@Francisco

uname -a returns this

Linux vps 2.6.32-042stab084.14 #1 SMP Mon Dec 16 18:16:56 MSK 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

This is the support response that I got

"The RAM is bustable up to 256mb, it would automatically burst normally when you go over the default RAM amount for this package."
Er, no, that's not how 'burst' RAM works >_> It doesn't magically ask the node side to allocate it more than suddenly it shows up in free -m, you're getting gamed.

Tell them to assign you 256MB of vswap and be done with it. You 'can' do the old style burst RAM on

.32's, but it's pretty pointless.

Francisco

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Er, no, that's not how 'burst' RAM works >_> It doesn't magically ask the node side to allocate it more than suddenly it shows up in free -m, you're getting gamed.
I could name a few low end openvz providers that regularly advertise burst or vswap and only provide it if the customer notices it's missing and opens a ticket.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I could name a few low end openvz providers that regularly advertise burst or vswap and only provide it if the customer notices it's missing and opens a ticket.
Well.... 'vswap' isn't popular in the OverSoldBox market. I'm fairly sure vswap doesn't like using actual swap, so they can't oversell like mad. The heavy oversells normally do only guaranteed RAM, since that'll get pushed off to swap if need be.

Francisco

mtwiscool

Well.... 'vswap' isn't popular in the OverSoldBox market. I'm fairly sure vswap doesn't like using actual swap, so they can't oversell like mad. The heavy oversells normally do only guaranteed RAM, since that'll get pushed off to swap if need be.

Francisco
vswap can go to swap if ram is overloaded.

and i noticed vps's with vswap use less ram.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
vswap can go to swap if ram is overloaded.

and i noticed vps's with vswap use less ram.
Oh did they improve it so it supports actual swap now? K.

Yes, 'vswap' enabled VM's will use less since RAM is counted from the 'RES' size, not the 'VIRT' size.

Francisco

Punjabi

Tell them to assign you 256MB of vswap and be done with it. You 'can' do the old style burst RAM on

.32's, but it's pretty pointless.

Francisco
Here's a fresh response from the support.

"You currently have exactly 128MB of guaranteed ram, once you go over the limit the "burst ram" will be available for you to go up to 256MB. Here's a screenshot from SolusVM showing you have 256MB set for the burstable ram."

Es8G10y.png

So, I decided to test max possible RAM allocation. It killed the script as soon as it tried to go over 128 MB RAM. I have given up on the support now. I suppose I can use the VPS as it is, wish support had provided better response.

For the record it was ProvisionHost & support staff was "Omid <last name>, Director of Operations"

EDIT: Well, I still had their website opened in a tab, so Omid opened up a chat session & then later allocated vSwap to my VPS.

I'm not expert, but can a node have both Burst RAM & vSwap? I mean it looks like it was never meant to be burst RAM but vSwap instead (atleast that's the one that worked for my VPS).

notFound

Don't take me seriously!
Verified Provider
Was just wondering, what do you people use as power supplies for your devices like raspberry pi etc.?

I'd hate to have to plug into the wall or a computer all the time.

The best I could come up with was use a drill battery (https://i.imgur.com/lLaf2hh.jpg). Don't really need to take it out either to charge really, add another in parallel before you take it out and whatever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rds100

Verified Provider
photo_verybig_1257790.jpg

path_139756.jpg

path_139766.jpg

path_139762.jpg

k0nsl

Bad Goy
A little teaser for @mtwiscool:

k0nsl-vultr01-1024x576.jpg

And no, I ain't going to hug it. It just isn't happening :lol:

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Anyone looking to sell their company? Looking to buy any size and anything server related. Cloud/vps/game server, etc. 

Email me Chris {at} Virtuaclub.com

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Was just wondering, what do you people use as power supplies for your devices like raspberry pi etc.? I'd hate to have to plug into the wall or a computer all the time. The best I could come up with was use a drill battery (https://i.imgur.com/lLaf2hh.jpg). Don't really need to take it out either to charge really, add another in parallel before you take it out and whatever. Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
I tether mine to a wall power plug that has 2 USB ports on it.... I've ran it on 4 AA batteries before...  and I have a cheap piece of junk USB power pack that I've ran the Pi on also...

A battery with charger trickle charging could be a good mix of everything.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
I've decided to take my inspiration from the esteemed Maarten Kosten's new  review rules and only post my reviews (i.e. bitches rants, throwing objects) in the CestPit.

Review: A typical f**king day in Iceland Virtualization Land.

ping is.edis.at
PING is.edis.at (37.235.49.250) 56(84) bytes of data.
From 154.24.22.229 icmp_seq=2 Destination Host Unreachable
From 154.24.22.229 icmp_seq=5 Destination Host Unreachable
From 154.24.22.229 icmp_seq=6 Destination Host Unreachable
^C
--- is.edis.at ping statistics ---
12 packets transmitted, 0 received, +3 errors, 100% packet loss, time 23307ms

ping greenqloud.com
PING greenqloud.com (46.149.26.138) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from greenqloud.com (46.149.26.138): icmp_seq=1 ttl=55 time=147 ms
64 bytes from greenqloud.com (46.149.26.138): icmp_seq=2 ttl=55 time=131 ms
64 bytes from greenqloud.com (46.149.26.138): icmp_seq=3 ttl=55 time=138 ms
64 bytes from greenqloud.com (46.149.26.138): icmp_seq=4 ttl=55 time=131 ms
64 bytes from greenqloud.com (46.149.26.138): icmp_seq=5 ttl=55 time=134 ms
^C
--- greenqloud.com ping statistics ---
5 packets transmitted, 5 received, 0% packet loss, time 4005ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 131.073/136.589/147.445/6.151 ms

tl;dr those 2 ping tests say a thousand words.

edit: is.edis.at is back  but that was the 4th  time it disappeared off the map tonight. Sigh.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Updated title of thread to include proper spelling of cesspit and to label it as a chat thread. (Was going to create a status update / chat / whatever thread, but this existed already).

Car is out of the shop now, needs to go back next week for a quick fix... just waiting for the $20 part from Amazon to arrive now. Replacing the two front (bald) tires on it this weekend and flushing fluids. Going to get it running fine sooner or later. :)

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I probably have some free gear going up on a post soon.

I got 7 x dual quad L5420 nodes sitting in LV that are eating cage space. They were originally used

by a colocation customer of ours but since they upgraded to the E3's I had for sale, they've been sitting

here collecting dust.

I'll likely just charge shipping + packaging costs ($35/ea probably?).

Francisco

NodeWest-Dan

I probably have some free gear going up on a post soon.

I got 7 x dual quad L5420 nodes sitting in LV that are eating cage space. They were originally used
by a colocation customer of ours but since they upgraded to the E3's I had for sale, they've been sitting
here collecting dust.

I'll likely just charge shipping + packaging costs ($35/ea probably?).

Francisco
I'll take one at that price. Just wanting to put my name in line

amuck-landowner