amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
This is why I have a low opinion of FraudRecord: they need to screen the providers they allow to join better and they should permanently ban any provider who makes any false report  (my main objection to FraudRecord though is that I'm in the same camp as TRUSTe (see their position on hashes here) when it comes to hashes and consider them personally identifiable information and believe providers should disclose on their privacy policies that they use FraudRecord...the fact that anyone, like me, can type in a name and see a report on a person bolsters my opinion).

Kjwmrn4.png
I spoke to Jonny-GVH just now about this FraudRecord entry.

He didn't submit this entry, rather a support person at GVH did.

@William with that in mind, do what you must.  Me, I'd ask Eric over at GVH to just pull the FraudRecord entry since he's running most ops over there. 

Last edited by a moderator:

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen

@William with that in mind, do what you must.
It really doesn't matter which individual at the legal entity Green Value Hosting Inc submitted the report because the company is responsible (and liable) for the actions of its workers regardless of whether it was submitted by employee/worker A, B, or C...respondeat superior...

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I agree @DomainBop. Right on.   Liability needs to start meaning something in this industry.

Meh the follies continue @William.

Supposedly Eric at GVH or someone there with permission  edited the Fraudrecord entry.  Might want to eyeball it:

Basis:

1. Unwarranted lawsuit threats

2. Premeditated intent to cause issues to others

3. Rude / threatening behavior

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I pulled the listing since I have absolutely no clue who put it up, and its really in bad taste.
You are the Eric at GVH and you don't know who put it up?  That's interesting.  

Ask your boss Jon.  One of you knows or I can ping the FraudRecord folks and maybe they can get to the bottom of it.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
1. Unwarranted lawsuit threats
Not true, my claim was i sue him for false advertising if he fails to comply with his offer - That's not a THREAT, that is to be EXPECTED.

2. Premeditated intent to cause issues to others
Where did you get that from? I just tried to use the service advertised  - My Nginx on 80 was clearly not violationg their Tos or abuse service/node.

3. Rude / threatening behavior
That's not what FR is there for.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Perhaps it's time for FraudRecord crack down.   Abuse of their system and failing to MAN up and wear the pants.

If I were the bitter dickhead over there at GVH filing this shitola I'd just say FUCK YOU WILLIAM you pissed me off and wasted my time that night.  But then again if I were involved I probably would be chuckling about the server on fire and people running around like little Nancy characters.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Perhaps it's time for FraudRecord crack down.   Abuse of their system and failing to MAN up and wear the pants.

If I were the bitter dickhead over there at GVH filing this shitola I'd just say FUCK YOU WILLIAM you pissed me off and wasted my time that night.  But then again if I were involved I probably would be chuckling about the server on fire and people running around like little Nancy characters.
Would that be the same bitter dickhead who was threatening to ruin a customer's life on WHT recently, but then couldn't deal with the pressure and had to go take a nap? :p

As for FraudRecord, they should screen potential members (make sure they're old enough to sign a contract, are a registered business, etc), crack down on businesses that file bullshit reports or that embellish the facts, and they should limit the report submissions to actual fraud (chargebacks, spamming, phishing, and other illegal activities). 

Encounters with unfriendly, angry, irrational,abusive, customers (and customers who are anxious for a reply and submit more than one ticket or call multiple times in a short period) are a given in any business and something you need to learn to deal with calmly.  Filing a FraudRecord complaint isn't the right way to deal with an angry customer.  It's much cheaper to try to iron things out with a customer (customer retention) then it is to "fire" a customer who pissed you off and try to find a new customer (customer acquisition)

...and filing a FraudRecord report because a customer tried to use what they paid for (in this case, the 100TB of transfer that was advertised) definitely isn't the right way to deal with things and should result in the business being permanently banned from using Fraud Record...it's not the customers fault you advertise something you can't afford to deliver

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff

@William with that in mind, do what you must.  Me, I'd ask Eric over at GVH to just pull the FraudRecord entry since he's running most ops over there. 
I'm sorry.  I can't take anything "Jonny said" as fact since he has the same personality disorder many people affiliated with a specific company seem to suffer from.  

XPEric

Tbh, there aren't really any guidelines for FR reports. I mean really, there's an official category for "too many support tickets" when submitting reports.

It's not really a measure of "fraud", although it does give a good idea of it, it's more a tool to decide whether a client is worth the hassle or not. Especially for budget providers, someone who opens 20 tickets a day and expects 24/7 priority VIP support, that's a good thing to know before taking an order (just an example, has nothing to do with "William").

/2c

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
decide whether a client is worth the hassle or not. Especially for budget providers, someone who opens 20 tickets a day and expects 24/7 priority VIP support, that's a good thing to know before taking an order (just an example, has nothing to do with "William").
Tee hee...

That 20 ticket VIP thing, that's textbook selling too cheap to resellers.  Surely GVH has a bad case of that.

I don't know what ticket load at GVH is like, but it always eeks out into public view that support is drowning (i.e. non responses and long long wait times) --- but ----  I do know MUCH bigger companies with MANY more customers who charge LOTS more and they don't have nearly the ticket load, nor the endless breakage in support.

Since you have some swing with Jonny, you should continue to push him towards rational pricing and realistic offerings, cause at the end of the day you and others there laboring have to deal with the mess.

Me I'd take the high road and make sure that FraudRecord report is gone and no other one magically appears for William.  The rules may be lacking with FraudRecord, but it's inferred what *SHOULD* be in there, that is reports of actual fraud.

As per Merriam-Webster the definition of fraud:

: the crime of using dishonest methods to take something valuable from another person

: a person who pretends to be what he or she is not in order to trick people

: a copy of something that is meant to look like the real thing in order to trick people
William's use, nature of the filing, and concept of "hassle" are all ill fits in a system intended to track and prevent fraud.  Surely he took nothing of value from anyone.  He didn't hide who he was either.

In fact, I think FraudRecord should open up to customers shat upon by hosting companies.  How many times have companies offered packages with bragging claims about node specs that were total lies (i.e. RAID-10 when no RAID or RAID 0 or 1?).  Or where the company went belly up and didn't refund the other 9 months of service someone on annual paid for....  Or a 100TB VPS offer.

Dylan

The rules may be lacking with FraudRecord, but it's inferred what *SHOULD* be in there, that is reports of actual fraud.
Unfortunately, I don't think that's true. FraudRecord's rules are in their TOS and "Public Threats" is one of their "definitions of misbehavior" (and misbehavior is what they say they're about, rather than just fraud).

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Unfortunately, I don't think that's true. FraudRecord's rules are in their TOS and "Public Threats" is one of their "definitions of misbehavior" (and misbehavior is what they say they're about, rather than just fraud).
Love you man!

There's no Misbehavior in that TOS... http://fraudrecord.com/terms-of-service/

There is instead ---> 

DEFINITION OF MISBEHAVOUR  <--- which isn't a word.
Then of course we go into la-la land and join the web cult....

Client misbehaviour acceptable by FraudRecord includes but is not limited to;

(a) Fraudulent Activity: Using stolen credit cards, payment accounts, email addresses or any other means that violate the rights of the individual with the legal claim to the means.

(b) Spamming: Using online services to send unsolicited email.

© Chargeback or Non-Payment: Failing to provide payment or issuing a chargeback or a retraction of the payment to which the services have been provided.

(d) Phishing, Illegal Content, Criminal Content, Misdemeanor: Using online services to host content that violates the local or international laws.

(e) Excessive Resource Use: Using server, service, or human resources excessively, causing service interruptions that affect other users of a service, or abusing staff members.

(f) Public Threats: Issuing threats of public slander, libel or similar types of abuse with the intention of causing business damage.
Which having read I laughed my old ass right off my chair.

" violates local or international laws"

Huh?  Are you kidding me?  really?  Local where?  What is the venue????  What are local laws?  That's just silly.  Do tribal rituals also apply?

Abuse with intent to cause business damage?  Hell next time a host takes my pocketbook for a fraud ride let me end up in that database.   We'll figure out something real quick then I bet.  Figure out that venue is in Turkey and you ought to stuff that server in Turkey if unless you want to lose it, end up annoyed by US law, etc.

A, B, and part of C are sound.  The rest rubbish.  Misdeameanor, that's a funny word..... Back to Merriam-Webster:

:  a crime less serious than a felony

:  misdeed

See misdemeanor defined for English-language learners »

See misdemeanor defined for kids »

Alrighty...  now we operate the Court of Public judgement....  Lest we not inject a person into FraudRecord for a mere summary offense.  Must be serious misdemeanor or satanic infused felony.

GOVERNING LAW
This Agreement will be governed primarily by the laws of Turkey, in addition to the laws of Illinois, where the servers and the Database resides. Any conflicts or disputes will be resolved by the courts and legal authorities of Turkey.
I mean I know Chicago is a communist stronghold and we should just turn that place over to the Chinese or the Russians... But how does one get primary jurisdiction in a foreign country then additional in Illinois. Ehhh comrade?  Pass the vodka and we write policies for web in blood of ox.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
If anyone has services with GVH in NL i can only recommend to move, quickly - The IPs will stop to work very shortly as i did feed him some of his own food and invoked *MY* ToS to cancel it. I can be a bitch too.

XPEric

Since you have some swing with Jonny, you should continue to push him towards rational pricing and realistic offerings, cause at the end of the day you and others there laboring have to deal with the mess.
I've been trying to fix the horrible mess, but it seems each time I try and work on something, there's something else that needs attention. I've been trying to get prices set to *reasonable* levels, as well as sustainable ones. That means no more BS yearly special/double everything/world for free deals. The issue is, the number of clients who already have long term contracts on those deals, and we can't just boot them. I'm working on a solution, but I'd rather just keep it internal for now.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
I've been trying to fix the horrible mess, but it seems each time I try and work on something, there's something else that needs attention. I've been trying to get prices set to *reasonable* levels, as well as sustainable ones. That means no more BS yearly special/double everything/world for free deals. The issue is, the number of clients who already have long term contracts on those deals, and we can't just boot them. I'm working on a solution, but I'd rather just keep it internal for now.
I haven't been following anything related to GVH for a long time since... well.. why bother.

This will come off as very dickish and tooly (and is half meant to be)..  But how do I know you're not Jonny with another personality/alias?  

XPEric

I haven't been following anything related to GVH for a long time since... well.. why bother.

This will come off as very dickish and tooly (and is half meant to be).. But how do I know you're not Jonny with another personality/alias?
You don't. You can ask the mods though, I'm sure they have logs. Tbh, anyone who goes through that much effort to create a fake persona has some really deep-rooted mental issues.

amuck-landowner