amuck-landowner

The cesspit / chat thread.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Got ten tomato plants in the ground today. They're a bit lanky right now as I bought them last weekend but brought them inside due to a couple unusually cold nights. Put them in the ground today though and they should perk up soon.

LnG6k8L.jpg

gZ2LF4E.jpg

Decided to do a couple in containers on the back patio as it gets great sun. The rest I put into the ground.

853lPaN.jpg

Can't wait to have some good tomatos. Need to go get some tomato cages later this week before they start growing too big.

Was going to do a decent garden this year... but now probably just going to stick with these tomatoes and maybe some peppers.

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
If there was proof you were within the legal rights then contest it.  
Yeah there is.. I think  I was picking up a friend at work and him and a couple others he works with herd what he said. 

He said when I reached the 40 sign I was going 30 then before I finished passing the 40 sign I was going 40. He claimed you are suppose to be going 30 until your entire car passes the sign.

Coastercraze

Top Thrill
Verified Provider
Yeah there is.. I think  I was picking up a friend at work and him and a couple others he works with herd what he said. 

He said when I reached the 40 sign I was going 30 then before I finished passing the 40 sign I was going 40. He claimed you are suppose to be going 30 until your entire car passes the sign.
*Facepalm*

Just as bad as the 26 mph in a 25 mph ticket...

Some cops must be bored out of their minds or something.

rds100

Verified Provider
Maybe they have goals to meet, if they don't do a certain number of fines per month they don't get a bonus or something.

Here usually if the limit is 90 km/h they won't bother you if you are driving with 95 km/h. Only going to fine you if you are going over 100.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah this is able to be disputed.  Unsure how tolerant your legal folks are up that way.

There are multiple approaches to this.

Big question is what did he write the ticket for? What speed and what was the speed limit at point where he clocked you?  Also what method / device did he use to clock you?

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
*Facepalm*

Just as bad as the 26 mph in a 25 mph ticket...

Some cops must be bored out of their minds or something.
Yeah.. A friend of mine got one for 1/2mph over not too long ago. 

Maybe they have goals to meet, if they don't do a certain number of fines per month they don't get a bonus or something

It is the end of the month. 

Yeah this is able to be disputed.  Unsure how tolerant your legal folks are up that way.

There are multiple approaches to this.

Big question is what did he write the ticket for? What speed and what was the speed limit at point where he clocked you?  Also what method / device did he use to clock you?
He got me with both the Internal Radar gun and the handheld one according to the ticket and it was for 40 in a 30. I will be disputing this. 

Last edited by a moderator:

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Yeah.. A friend of mine got one for 1/2mph over not too long ago. 
Now, while that crooked cop might have given said ticket, it's illegal.

There is no way to enforce such a tight range on over the limit.  Because the measuring equipment in your vehicle like all is not calibrated to such precision and expected to deviate historically (perhaps new digital claims to be better, but meh, I doubt it).

The common range is 5-6 miles above the speed limit to factor equipment deviations.

The radar, or other gear he has must be calibrated and inspected and certified accurate also.   Demand all that as part of the discovery in the matter.

There is also the issue of the cops hand eye coordination.  Clicking a gun sounds simple, but a lazy cop isn't a machine calibrated either.   There are plenty of tests to destroy his hand eye relationship and timing myth.

There are other matters with the gear and testing and his relationship to the moving vehicle.

Finally, the road signs with up and down on speed are governed on placement minimums by your State Department of Transportation.  Localities cannot, but they often do place yo-yo'ing speed signs in close proximity in order to confuse and trap people in said stupidity.   If you feel the signs are misplaced or too close, time to pull the State regulations and go measure the sign spacing.

You get any piece of this as invalid, wrong, etc. and their little revenue collection on your tab won't stand in a real court.

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Ahh I may have orchastrated beating a few PoS traffic tickets over the years successfully.  

If it is worth pursuing give them hell.  They definitely need it for the 1/2 mile over bullshit.

Kris

First, ask for independent (3rd party) examination records for accuracy on those radar guns done within the last 3 years. They require documentation for this as well.

Make sure the officer has attended a P.O.S.T training course, and demand the certificate as proof. It's essentially required for the use of radar. He requires that documentation as well. No documentation, you can't operate radar, and dismissal. 

Also, they need their own speed recording device's calibration records. If they're existent, they'll likely be out of date. 

Most officers will flick the calibration switch right before pulling someone over, that just 'puts it on the record' to the machine that it was calibrated. Most of the time it isn't done. Why? 

Essentially officers have 'tuning forks' that should be used to calibrate the radar guns at the beginning and end of a shift, and immediately after a speeding violation. They also should be keeping records of such. I really doubt most officers do this. I haven't seen one yet. 

Finally, the tuning forks. If he actually used them at the beginning of the shift, and it was on record - most people don't know they have to be verified by the NHTSA. Without the town having that certification, the tuning forks used to calibrate aren't fit to be used. Depending on how podunk a town, they *will not* have this. 

For a full list, read : http://www.avvo.com/legal-guides/ugc/hot-to-cross-examine-an-officers-radar-evidence

I doubt they have the above, and you are entitled to all of the above as a part of the discovery process. 

Source: Web admin / right hand man for a speeding ticket lawyer for almost 10 years. 

rds100

Verified Provider
So WHT gonna get a decent theme or this is the end of a giant forum?
I think it is better now than before. I mean the theme is uglier without doubt, but at least now there are not only 10 posts per page, which is a major improvement.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
WSI "We had a power failure the servers should be coming up shortly."
Ahh WSI.

Cheap (Costs and bandwidth).  Hit or miss support (there was this one guy that was fantastic... and then another guy who was basically like talking to a brick wall).  

Last edited by a moderator:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Todays big project has been working on the new site.

http://new.buyvm.net/

http://new.buyvm.net/index.php/vps/openvz/

Proper URL mappings will be finished at a later point once I feel like dicking with lighttpd.

Pretty happy with it so far. For the most part i'm just working on turning things into blocks for easy inclusion in other areas. Our marketing guy has been redoing the wording on most of the pages.

Aiming for a May 15th roll out.

Francisco

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Todays big project has been working on the new site.

http://new.buyvm.net/

http://new.buyvm.net/index.php/vps/openvz/

Proper URL mappings will be finished at a later point once I feel like dicking with lighttpd.

Pretty happy with it so far. For the most part i'm just working on turning things into blocks for easy inclusion in other areas. Our marketing guy has been redoing the wording on most of the pages.

Aiming for a May 15th roll out.

Francisco
Wow finally.  Took you long enough!

Haha naw but seriously the new design looks great.  Probably took a long time going back and forth with the designer and getting everything squared away.  All the hard work has really paid off!  I love it!

amuck-landowner