amuck-landowner

The gun thread

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Fixed the embed link since it wasn't showing up.

LOL. That was pretty funny. (Even if I disagree with some of it) Jim Jefferies is a great comedian!

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Installed a recoil pad on the Мосина and went back to the range today - made a WORLD of difference.  Not in recoil, which didn't bother me much, but it added an extra few cm to the stock, and made it much easier to hold a steady pull on the rifle.

set1.jpg

150 yards, freestand without support, ironsights.  First five rounds went a bit up and right (the three together, and the two to the side of the head).  Next four grouped nicely on the left, but I overcompensated for the lift on the headshot for that last round.

set2.jpg

Adjusted the sights, fired another two rails.  First five did meh (7th and 8th ring), the last four (9th ring) and headshot I was quite pleased with.  At 150y on a rather windy day, that's probably the best I'll get it on the ironsights unless I put a bipod on it and start shooting from a bench.

Next mod will be putting in a Timney trigger, and getting the parts I need to tap a scope mount.  Which, sadly will render it inoperable for a couple of weeks while I have the bolt sent off to get modified, but I'm hoping by then I'll have a new toy to keep my occupied for the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Oh now this is just frustrating.  Last week, I went ahead and ordered the Archangel stock, Timney trigger, muzzle brake, front rail, bipod, Rocksolid scope mount and custom bolt.

*Everything* for the stock itself has already arrived, or is arriving today.  The damn stock was delayed and won't get here until Monday -_-

ModyDev

Oh now this is just frustrating.  Last week, I went ahead and ordered the Archangel stock, Timney trigger, muzzle brake, front rail, bipod, Rocksolid scope mount and custom bolt.

*Everything* for the stock itself has already arrived, or is arriving today.  The damn stock was delayed and won't get here until Monday -_-
Please wait patiently.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder

Where did you order the stock from? I may pick one up sometime just keep in the safe until I stumble upon a Mosin I want to convert.

With my birthday coming up in a couple months, I think I'm going to get myself a nice VZ58/2008. Reasonably priced and arguable 'better' than the famed AK47.

lSnwh3r.jpg

I just love the look of the older rifles and the history involved, even on the imports and clones. After doing a lot of reading/looking into it, I think I'd rather have a VZ than an AK.

I LOVE hickok45's videos. He has a great channel full of great information, great shooting, and I like his poorly timed dull humor. I feel like he says stuff sometimes as a joke that just sounds like he's serious.

Anyhow, the VZ58 / VZ2008 is definitely on my to-buy list.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Amazon, of all people, actually had the best price on the stock.

I now have the forward rail, bipod, Timney, muzzle brake, and scope mount sitting on my desk.  Estimated delivery for the stock... Monday -_-;

But, I had a productive day nontheless.  Probably my last time shooting this rifle 'vanilla', and I'm quite pleased at how accurate I was able to get the ironsights.  200 yards, freestanding - 25 shots, one miss.

200yds.jpg

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Amazon, of all people, actually had the best price on the stock.
One problem i've had with buying gun parts of amazon is amazon and the ones who sell it on there never seem to make sure their stock is updated. I had 3 separate orders canceled due to insufficient stock. I've never had issues with things being out of stock after ordering on amazon other then with gun parts. :-/

Nice grouping btw! 

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
WEW.  Stock came in this evening, so straight to the shop I went with it.

mosin1.jpg

mosin2.jpg

I haven't done the muzzle brake or the scope yet.  Going back to the range tomorrow to see how she does with the new stock and Timney trigger, then I'll start working on the rest.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Sexy! I'm diggin' that for sure. I'm keeping my eyes open for a Mosin for sale on local firearms groups and forums as I really want to find one to convert. I just don't want to touch my 1932 Mosin as it's in great condition for the age... but man oh man, you can rest assured as soon as I find one with a busted stock or something I'll probably pick it up if the price is right.

EDIT: What case is that? I need to get a couple hard cases... I only have a cheap Plano plastic case and it was cracked upon arrival but I've been using it anyhow. Been looking on Amazon just haven't jumped on any yet.

I've not posted my Remington 870 I've been working on the past few months... :)

9pk3xDo.jpg

Magpul forend and stock, Archangel 7-shot shell holder, hated the stock bead sight so got a snap-on fiber optic front sight and put a heat shield on it... I don't really want to do anything else with it, that's about as 'tacti-cool' as I get. :)

Pretty badass transformation if you ask me, considering the stock, off the shelf rifle looks like this:

5570060.jpg

And yes, I have pretty wallpaper...

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
EDIT: What case is that? I need to get a couple hard cases... I only have a cheap Plano plastic case and it was cracked upon arrival but I've been using it anyhow. Been looking on Amazon just haven't jumped on any yet.
Only one I could find at the local sporting goods store long enough. Out at the pub and cant recall the brand, but I'll take a look when I get home

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Yeah you can tell by the straight magazine :)

SCAR 16 would beshot09-scar-16s.jpg

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yeah you can tell by the straight magazine :)
That's what I thought, but wanted to make sure. Looks nice. I'm wanting to build an AR10 later this year... but I also want a lot of other stuff too... so we'll see. It's been a very long time since I've shot a 308 but want to build a long-range beast :)

BTW, what sort of wait time was there for you to get your stamp for the suppressor? I'd love to get one but the stamp is $200, correct? Plus a few months for the ATF to approve it? Then however much for the can? Either way, looks great and like a lot of fun! Nice rifle indeed.

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Yeah, $200 per stamp. Tons of fun. Only downside is ammo cost. Surprisingly paper form was returned in a little over 3 months this time. ETA used to be 9 months last year... eForms took 4 months on the AR can last year.

Beware of AR10s. I take everything on Youtube with a grain of salt, but significant negatives over an FAL, SCAR, or M1A in the BR category:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=91dvwZpRvYw

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Welp, my willpower finally crumbled, and bought one of these last night.

a6e68864683e8ae3b85ff90a4155.jpg

Вепр (Vepr) 7,62x39, produced in the Молот factory in Вя́тские Поля́ны.  Heavy duty receiver, hammer-forged and chrome lined barrel, chrome lined chamber.  Picked it up for 699, plus shipping for a grand total of just under 725$.  Oughta be in by mid next week.

amuck-landowner