amuck-landowner

The gun thread

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The range I go to (private membership, 150$/yr, no other requirements) tops out at 600, but that's sufficient for me.

My next project will be picking up an Archangel stock for the Мосина:

Archangel-Mosin-9130.jpg

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to modify the bolt, or simply do a scope farther up.  Will likely remove the front site and install a muzzle brake and bipod as well.

Before I get started on that though, I have my eye on the LC9 to use as a concealed carry piece.

77998.jpg

I like the squared off look the laser sight gives it, my only worry is finding a comfortable holster.

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
Make sure you get the LC9s, not the original LC9. The trigger is an enormous upgrade on the LC9s model. Had both. Would also recommend the Crimson Trace instead of the other laser options if you're going that route.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Wasnt even aware of the LC9s - I had read a few bad reviews about the LC9 trigger and figured I'd probably have to replace it, thanks for the heads up.

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
They're selling like hotcakes. The LC9 had the right size and features for its intended purpose, but that trigger was awful. The new trigger isn't quite a Glock, but it's remarkably better. The local shop is keeping the LC9s in the back, hoping people will still buy the LC9 unaware lol. Ruger appears to be differentiating them by not offering the LC9s with lasers, but it's not hard to add one (and it's worth the extra bucks over getting an LC9 with laser included).

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The range I go to (private membership, 150$/yr, no other requirements) tops out at 600, but that's sufficient for me.

My next project will be picking up an Archangel stock for the Мосина:

Archangel-Mosin-9130.jpg

I haven't decided yet if I'm going to modify the bolt, or simply do a scope farther up.  Will likely remove the front site and install a muzzle brake and bipod as well.

Before I get started on that though, I have my eye on the LC9 to use as a concealed carry piece.

77998.jpg

I like the squared off look the laser sight gives it, my only worry is finding a comfortable holster.
That's a popular setup, so quite a few companies make holsters for it. I'd check out AlienGear, they make some great holsters.

EDIT: I also sort of want to bastardize my Mosin with the Archangel conversion but haven't decided yet.

Last edited by a moderator:

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Damn, i want such a conversion kit for mine too but no one stocks them here and most likely i'd need an expensive (but easily available) import license for it

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Well, I figured since I have a 1918 on reserve whenever they come in, I'll pick up a second to keep in original condition.

Damn, i want such a conversion kit for mine too but no one stocks them here and most likely i'd need an expensive (but easily available) import license for it
The purists will frown upon you but some gun owners can be as snobby/stubborn as the PC vs Console gaming crowd. There are literally millions (Like 17 million) made. They're so mass produced and affordable that I don't see an issue with converting them. If I find one with a broken stock or one that needs some TLC but has a good bore I might pick it up.

My '33 I wouldn't convert as it's already in good condition but man I'd love to find a 'nice busted' one that I could concert without concern. :p

Speaking of rifle conversions...

Compare%20870.png

This company makes bullpup conversions for the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. I've been starting to warm up to the idea of bullpup rifles. They're widely used elsewhere and they seem to be growing in popularity here in the US. I don't actually want to convert my 870 but I think it's cool as hell I can if I wanted to. I watched quite a few videos on YouTube and everyone seems quite pleased with their converted shotguns. :)

I need to find a place out in the country to move to this year so I can be outside of city limits where I can actually shoot more often. I want a shooting range in my back yard really bad. I'd love to have a backyard 500 yard range... man oh man. A guy can dream, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

William

pr0
Verified Provider
I just bought the Mosin because it was cheap anyway, i don't like it in particular - The "Tech cool" look would be nice though.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
This company makes bullpup conversions for the Mossberg 500 and Remington 870. I've been starting to warm up to the idea of bullpup rifles. They're widely used elsewhere and they seem to be growing in popularity here in the US. I don't actually want to convert my 870 but I think it's cool as hell I can if I wanted to. I watched quite a few videos on YouTube and everyone seems quite pleased with their converted shotguns. :)
Hah, damn, that actually has me considering picking up a Rem+kit now.  Sweet and scary home defence tool.

William

pr0
Verified Provider
Yea, that looks very neat - Sadly pumpguns are entirely forbidden in Austria since some guy shot his family with one 20 years ago. Stupid law but it won't change anymore.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yes. ATF should be disbanded.

This is all because some people were shouldering the brace and posting videos to YouTube and bragging about it being a 'loophole' to the SBR requirements I believe. I mean, you can still shoulder it I guess... just wouldn't do it at a public range or in front of any ATF agents, ha. Don't photograph yourself doing it and post it to social media like others did.

Also, at @Aldryic C'boas , if you get that Ruger LC9 another suggestion for holsters would be Shephard Holsters. They have some that accommodate the LC9 even with the Crimson trace laser. I use a Shephard holster for my CM9 and love it. I even bought a N82 Tactical one since everyone raves about those but prefer the Shephard. Comfortable, if I am out and about can wear it all day without even really noticing it is there. Small frame pistols just disappear in jeans and a t-shirt. Has good quality hardware and is adjustable. Made in the USA, but then again most quality gun leather is :)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I like the homemade gun :p

LekniZs.jpg

Holy shit. No thanks!

A 12GA homemade pistol? 0_o

I'd be willing to put it in a vice, tie a long string to the trigger and hide behind a tree and pull it so it doesn't blow off my hand or break my wrist from the recoil, though... haha.

A lot of people are worried about 3D printed guns becoming a 'thing', and while they are a 'thing' already... most are pretty dangerous to operate and I've only seen demonstrations with them being fired remotely or with the string on trigger method. Plus most have been single shot pistols and not magazine fed or anything but maybe I've not seen those.

ModyDev

hehe from first impression you think it is unsafe but when you shoot the first round you will find out it is safe and fun to shoot with.

I have fired around 2x25 12GA packs with this pistol and from my personal experience with it you just have to hold it well and becarful because it is reaction is stronger than the normal shotgun because it has a short barrel and you will be fine.

There is more interesting pistol that fires 5.45×39mm Russian ammunition like the AK47 but i didn't have the chance to try those :p

dLpgLf6.jpg

TekStorm - Walter

Guns are cool, they guns kill people, no guns dont people kill people the gun is just the easiest thing to use. If they are in the right hands gun are your best friend but as soon as you give it to the idiot on the street selling drugs then the stupidity kicks in.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Gun owners don't want gun violence. One thing the anit-gun soccer Mom crowd doesn't understand is that we're allies in wanting to reduce gun crime. The difference is our thought process. They think more laws will stop gun violence. That doesn't work here. Someone hell bent on shooting up a place isn't going to get pumped up, get prepared to go in and do it and then stop when he sees a "No guns allowed" sign. Gun free zones should be eliminated completely anyhow, in my opinion. They'll see that sign and be happy knowing they'll be met with no resistance.

The right to bear arms is embedded in America culture. It's not going away. Many schools taught children marksmanship up until about 20 years ago. Hunting, targeting shooting and carrying because it is our right to do so is just something we do. The truth is violence and murders in America have decreased dramatically over the past couple decades, though reporting of violent crimes has of course sky rocketed. It's not the wild west, and unless you're unfortunate enough to live in the real bad lower income areas of some major shitties cities then you're probably pretty safe.

In America it's already a felony to possess a firearm with illegal drugs as far as I know, even if the gun itself would otherwise be legal and the amount of drugs would be a slap on the wrist or a misdemeanor (From what I understand, haven't read into it much as it doesn't apply to me). That's a law that exists yet it doesn't stop criminals and thugs from doing it. Laws only work on law abiding citizens. Criminals don't give two shits what's legal and whats not. They'd prefer that citizens don't have guns as it makes for easy target and reduces their risk of injury when they go about their crimes.

All I know is that I love going to the range. I love the fact that I have the right as a private citizen to own and carry a gun. As with other rights we have I prefer to use it instead of ignore it. It's the same reason I vote, same reason if I disagree with a politician I can say that they're an asshole and not worry or fear for 'speaking out'.

amuck-landowner