amuck-landowner

The gun thread

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Next thing to acquire is an AR lower so I can start building up one of those. Need to find a good source on titanium or polished/raw AR lowers and barrels so the final product when I get done building it won't be your run-of-the-mill 'scary black gun', and instead will look like:

AR-15%25281%2529.png

I love the look of the above rife and am going to model my own build off it's appearance. Though ideally I'll build it to not be tacti-cool and build it for long-range plinking.

Damian

Verified Provider
 and build it for long-range plinking.
I much prefer rifles and long-range shooting to pistols and shotguns and other close weapons.

IMG_20140202_185259.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick_A

Provider of the year (2014)
@MannDude Get a nice Harris bipod instead of that hybrid thing. I forget the company, but someone out there makes a nice quick release adapter for the Picatinny rail that allows you to attach or detach a good Harris on the fly. Thought I had a picture of mine but can't find it.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I much prefer rifles and long-range shooting to pistols and shotguns and other close weapons.

IMG_20140202_185259.jpg
Not bad!

I've got a range near me with a lane that can accommodate targets up to 300yards, though I only go their with pistols. Years ago, in the Nevada desert I'd go to this makeshift range out there when I lived there. There would be these 'T' posts setup, with metal targets hanging off each arm of the T. There is nothing more rewarding than pulling a trigger and waiting a moment and hearing that, 'Ping!' after the initial blast. Though even those weren't that far away, maybe 250 yards max.

I don't have any proper long-rifles right now. All I really want is a 10-22 for cheap plinking and an AR15 with a long barrel (26" or so) for long distances target shooting or to be used hunting if I ever get around to going to deer hunting with family members.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
@MannDude Get a nice Harris bipod instead of that hybrid thing. I forget the company, but someone out there makes a nice quick release adapter for the Picatinny rail that allows you to attach or detach a good Harris on the fly. Thought I had a picture of mine but can't find it.
The image was more of a representation of the look I was after with the raw lower and barrel as opposed to represent parts/setup. :)

EDIT: I lied, I really want to pick up a Mosin Nagant too.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I wish ranges were more common in Canada.

The few times I went shooting (once in Vegas, once in Texas), it was a hell of a lot of fun.

I could trailer park boys it in the back woods but eh...

Francisco

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
This thread needs more pics.
Alright then. :)

From top to bottom: Ruger Standard (1971, I believe. ), Kahr CM9, and Smith & Wesson 4566TSW.

jnnaxcd.jpg

The Ruger is actually my favorite to shoot. 22LR ammo is cheap, so it doesn't hurt the wallet to shoot at the range and even though it's just black iron sights, probably the one I am most accurate with. The Kahr is new and will be broken in soon. Got some Remington, American Eagle, Federal and Hornady ammo with it to see if she has a preference and what fires best out her. Need to clock some range time in soon.

The Smith is my baby and was my birthday present to myself last year. This thing has run flawlessly with all types of ammo. I've only had one fail to fire with it, and it was a dud round from a box of cheap imported dirty ammo. Pulled the trigger... click. Ejected the round, saw that the primer was hit with the firing pin... re-chambered it, same deal. Threw the round away. It's a bad picture because it looks better after a good cleaning and digital touch-up, but this thing is a beast. Too bad .45 ammo is expensive... in an ideal life I'd be putting a couple hundred rounds down range a week with this bad boy. I need to buy land out in the country and start reloading. :)

EDIT: Also, for Breaking Bad fans: http://breakingbad.wikia.com/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_4566TSW :)

Magiobiwan

Insert Witty Statement Here
Verified Provider
My family had a Ruger like that one before. Unfortunately it was my Grandpa's and it ended up going to a member of the extended family. Damn that was a fun gun to shoot. I'm considering a Glock (once I'm 21 at least) because they're good guns. Of course, money is nice. Gotta support my VPSaholism too!

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
My family had a Ruger like that one before. Unfortunately it was my Grandpa's and it ended up going to a member of the extended family. Damn that was a fun gun to shoot. I'm considering a Glock (once I'm 21 at least) because they're good guns. Of course, money is nice. Gotta support my VPSaholism too!
Never owned a Glock, but you can't go wrong with them. You'll love these "Glock Torture Test" videos on YouTube!

http://youtu.be/oSbepeXwDqE

http://youtu.be/TrpPg9lI4lE

http://youtu.be/XKFBC60LoMY

http://youtu.be/sb9QsYyO0I0

http://youtu.be/MwCl7X6CtSU

He has tons of these, all comical. There are tons of serious torture test reviews on YouTube as well :)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
IMG_0840.jpg

Here is a pic I took last summer after I went on a week long gun purchasing bender. ^^

I posted this in the Black Friday thread but herean AR I bought at a gun shop on Black friday at midnight.

plifRKK.jpg

EdxmVmu.jpg

I have Dozen more guns that I need to take out of my safe and take pics of. 

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Don't. I'm an NRA member but they seem to spend more time and money mailing their members twice a week and calling them up asking for more. I probably won't renew my membership. There are other, better organizations (IMO) that utilize their funds better.

I get things a couple times a month I only got a call once at like 10:30pm on a Friday and I was lit and ended up renewing for 5 years. 

But I will look into that other gun rights group that was posted here. That I never herd of before. 

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
You need to get a solid safe Miller.

I need to get a heavy ass safe that I can mount to my wall/floor to keep it secured down. Need to start stacking my guns, ammo and silver in it :)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
You need to get a solid safe Miller.

I need to get a heavy ass safe that I can mount to my wall/floor to keep it secured down. Need to start stacking my guns, ammo and silver in it :)

I do! My safe is in my garage and weighs about 900 lbs and has 4ft bolts bolting it to the ground. 

I can fit about 3 of me in it and still have room for guns. 

I will post a pic in the morning. 

Nick

So jealous! Strict gun laws over here in NZ but tthankfully I use a few weapons on a regular basis including a Sig Sauer, IW Steyr and a very nice LSW :)

amuck-landowner