amuck-landowner

The gun thread

texteditor

Premium Buffalo-based Hosting
Hell yeah at those Mosin Nagants. They mass produced those like crazy, can still buy them for $150~ around here depending on condition. I shot one about 5 years ago a few times, quite accurate. I'd like to have one just to have, whether it be a wall accessory or something I'd plink targets with at the long range, I don't know.
Allegedly*, according to guys I worked with at my last job, they can be had for as low as $50 at gun shows in Indiana, I'm guessing from people who bought them en masse and had to sort out the war-worn ones.

I've never been big on guns but a Mosin Nagant would be cool to have for range shooting, I'd think.

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
How did I miss this thread!?!?!  :)

I tend to find a mixure of great deals and "meh" at gun shows. I just went to a local show last weekend too. Found a local ammo manufacturer with great prices on 9mm ammo in Bryan, TX. They had boxes of 50x 9mm for $17.95 or so.

www.OldGloryAmmo.com. (yikes - looks like their website needs some work!)

This is what I have:

Beretta-Px4-Storm.jpg

It has a rotating barrel for accuracy. It's a sweet little 9mm.

Last edited by a moderator:

William

pr0
Verified Provider
I wish pump action would be legal in Austria for shotguns (they are on the same schedule as full autos...), even with ejector this quite hurts aftert some 100 rounds :)

Also, what does .22lr in the US cost? Remington 100 pack (the "gold" plated ones) are  ~12EUR here - Shotgun ammo is incredible cheap though. (25 pack 00 ~10EUR)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I wish pump action would be legal in Austria for shotguns (they are on the same schedule as full autos...), even with ejector this quite hurts aftert some 100 rounds :)

Also, what does .22lr in the US cost? Remington 100 pack (the "gold" plated ones) are  ~12EUR here - Shotgun ammo is incredible cheap though. (25 pack 00 ~10EUR)
Pump actions are illegal there? Crazy. The sound of a pump action shotgun being racked in itself is almost as good of a deterrent to crime than the gun itself. If you heard your doorknob to your city apartment rattling at 2AM, and whoever it is on the outside heard that "ch-chhh" sound of the shotgun being 'pumped', they'd piss their pants and turn around. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2Gz-A-XO8w

22LR is hard to find now. Lot of ammo hoarders due to random scares of new regulations. A brick of 22LR (500 rds) is upward of $50 in some places. Still cheap compared to other calibers, though harder to find nowadays. I've not bought 22LR in years. I had around 1,000rds laying around and probably down to a few hundred now. I've got an old 22LR pistol that I always take to the range to plink with, but luckily haven't had to scour shops for ammo. Granted, I get most my ammo from Wal-Mart anyway, and they're always out of it. (Though they generally have all the other common pistol calibers and hunting rounds in stock)

It's an expensive hobby. I save all my brass casings so I can eventually clean them up and reload them, but I've not yet got the setup. Afterwards my ammo cost will be cut in almost half. Most of the casings can be reused time and time again.

Neo

Crazy Amercians, everyone is purchasing weapons and when you get on some private area you get bulles.

Probably just a cliché, i am prepared for shitstorm :D

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Hey Chris,

Because some people killing animals or people with them. 
In America:

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

• Heart disease: 597,689
  • Cancer: 574,743
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
  • Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
  • Diabetes: 69,071
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

I suppose some of those suicides are certainly with guns, though if you're depressed enough to put a barrel of a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger you'd be depressed enough to just swallow a bottle of pills or keep your car running in a closed space or dive off a tall building or something.

violence.pngIn fact, violent crimes in America have been on a steady decline over the past couple decades. Gun ownership has been on an increase, however. Violent people are violent with or without guns.

01UNMURDER.bmp

It could be worse.

And hunting, well, people are always going to hunt. I'd much rather shoot and kill a deer that's lived a good life in the woods, frolicking around, watching the sun rise and sun set and all that jazz than some animal that was raised in a factory farm, pumped full of chemicals and steroids to make it grow in a confined, lightless space. 

BeastVM_Aaron

In America:

Number of deaths for leading causes of death

• Heart disease: 597,689
  • Cancer: 574,743
  • Chronic lower respiratory diseases: 138,080
  • Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases): 129,476
  • Accidents (unintentional injuries): 120,859
  • Alzheimer's disease: 83,494
  • Diabetes: 69,071
  • Nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis: 50,476
  • Influenza and Pneumonia: 50,097
  • Intentional self-harm (suicide): 38,364
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/lcod.htm

I suppose some of those suicides are certainly with guns, though if you're depressed enough to put a barrel of a gun in your mouth and pull the trigger you'd be depressed enough to just swallow a bottle of pills or keep your car running in a closed space or dive off a tall building or something.

violence.pngIn fact, violent crimes in America have been on a steady decline over the past couple decades. Gun ownership has been on an increase, however. Violent people are violent with or without guns.

01UNMURDER.bmp

It could be worse.

And hunting, well, people are always going to hunt. I'd much rather shoot and kill a deer that's lived a good life in the woods, frolicking around, watching the sun rise and sun set and all that jazz than some animal that was raised in a factory farm, pumped full of chemicals and steroids to make it grow in a confined, lightless space. 

I'm not said this for U.S only.

I said some people but it's fine if you protect yourself from animals or things like that.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Sweet video @Chris Miller. Is the camera on your Google Glass that far offset or are you aiming with your left eye? Next time I go to the range I'll strap my 1080p Mobius action camera (basically a GoPro) on my rife for some neat POV shots.

I don't know if I have actually posted anything from my collection or not. Below is my AR I built earlier this year (already want to build another one as this one was fun and rewarding to build) and my recently updated Kahr which is my daily carry piece.

v1DAOC0.jpg

Tq7jziv.jpg

Sadly the range closest to me has been closed all year for maintenance but it should re-open next month. So I can finally get some range time in at a proper range. Also going to soon become a member at a gun club that has a nice private outdoor range that is also sort of near me. I've never been as membership is required, but they have a 500 yard range whereas the public one I go to only has a 200 yard range... so I'll probably join after I get my AR sighted in properly and getting good groups at 200 yards first.

vJsC9Vm.jpg

I recently decided to stipple my CM9. Originally I had some Talon ruberized grips on there but removed them when I made the decision that I have no intention of getting rid of this piece. I don't ever plan on re-selling it, so I decided to try my hand at stippling it. It turned out alright. Stippling below the slide is for my thumb to help with keeping the muzzle flip to a minimum and the rest is just for increased texture/grip. I added the Hogue grip sleeve which increases the width a bit as it has palm swells and replaced the floorplate of the stock 6 round magazines with the Pierce grip extensions and stippled that as well. It's a now a very comfortable and practical daily carry piece. It feels great in the hand now despite it's small size and has never given me any trouble with it at the range. I didn't like it's size originally but it's a lot easier to manage now than it's factory setup and I love that a pair of jeans and a t-shirt is all that is needed to conceal carry it either in my N8^2 IWB holster or my more commonly used Shepherd IWB holster. :)

In the cooler months I prefer to carry my S&W 4566TSW since I'm usually wearing a jacket or a coat or long sleeves, it's a little harder to conceal in the warmth of the summer unless I change my dressing style dramatically. (Which right now is mainly just jeans or shorts and t-shirts or button up dress shirts)

Next item on the list for me is either going to be a nice revolver with minimum of a 5" barrel, but more likely 7" for some target shooting or a shotgun that can serve double duty as a hunting rifle and for shooting some clay at the range. :)

I really wish I had some land out in the country so I can build a makeshift range in the backyard. Would be so much fun!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Hey Chris,

Because some people killing animals or people with them. 
Killing is part of the grand recycling plan.   If you didn't kill something, you would starve my friend.  Take it from a veghead.

When it comes to Leroy the Crackhead vs. my family and their safety, the pump shotgun does well with Leroy and his crack super powers.   If you want to Bruce Lee style chop him down like a mighty Redwood, by all means, bad ass, have it.  I mean I can handle myself and keep my own, but the last thing I want to deal with is some thugs whacked out and juiced up.  Humans, like all other animals are capable of some amazing feats when operating under distress.

And a reminder, I've been ghetto style sabotaged, shot in the spine and left for dead.  So guns aren't my friend.  I am realist,   I keep loaded and ready to kill lions, when and if such requires my special attention.

tonyg

Killing is part of the grand recycling plan.   If you didn't kill something, you would starve my friend.  Take it from a veghead.
One thing is killing for food, to feed yourself and family. Another is killing for "sport".

In today's society there is no need to kill for "sport" (at least in developed countries).

We are at a point in civilized society that we need to care and respect our fellow neighbors on this blue planet.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
One thing is killing for food, to feed yourself and family. Another is killing for "sport".

In today's society there is no need to kill for "sport" (at least in developed countries).

We are at a point in civilized society that we need to care and respect our fellow neighbors on this blue planet.
I agree that killing for 'sport' is a bit whack. I don't want to kill a deer just to leave it's body behind in the field so I can hang it's head on my wall. But at the same time, I'd rather kill a turkey in the wild and eat it as opposed to buying turkey from the store.

Factory farms are horrendous. Animals pumped with awful things to alter their flavor and keep them alive in such horrible conditions. If PETA wasn't so crazy i'd probably stand behind them in that I greatly dislike the practice of many factory farms. I'd rather eat something fresh. Plus, I feel like every man should have at hunted at least once. I've actually only been rabbit and turkey hunting, and the meat was great. The turkey especially. From the field, to the grill, to my stomach in about 3 hours. By far the best tasting turkey I've ever had. Was a healthy animal, ate mostly organic corn feed as it was often lurking a property I worked on that actually provided refuge for migratory birds like geese, ducks and waterfowls. These turkeys were a nuisance and scaring off the birds we were providing refuge for and eating their food. 

Plus, Wal-Mart or any local grocery store doesn't sell deer jerky or deer salami. :)

amuck-landowner