amuck-landowner

The gun thread

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
...starting to think we're long lost twins or something, MD.  Just ordered a Mosin myself, should have it in by Tuesday :p
She's a beut. I'll post up a better photo shortly. Came with original bayonet, tool pouch and oil can and original sling. (And some non-original ammo). I'm pleased with it and these are quite affordable since there are so many of them, unless of course you want something particularly rare or find one in pristine condition.

What year is yours?

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
My wife got me a Mossberg "Tactical" 22 LR with a red-dot scope and 900 rounds of 22LR. It's great fun for target shooting.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
My Мосина came in yesterday - spent this evening getting the cosmoline off and cleaning 'er up.  1943 made (they were out of the 1918s, so I'll have one on reserve once they come in plus a hefty discount), absolutely beautiful.  I'll get a couple pics tomorrow when the sun's up again.  Off to the range this weekend - 315 rounds to burn, my arm should be quite numb by the time I'm through.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
My Мосина came in yesterday - spent this evening getting the cosmoline off and cleaning 'er up.  1943 made (they were out of the 1918s, so I'll have one on reserve once they come in plus a hefty discount), absolutely beautiful.  I'll get a couple pics tomorrow when the sun's up again.  Off to the range this weekend - 315 rounds to burn, my arm should be quite numb by the time I'm through.
I'm planning on a range trip as well, weather pending. Hoping the 200 yard range is open, as last time it was closed and still under maintenance. :(

Also looking forward to shooting the Mosin for the first time. Bolt action rifles are fun, can't wait.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Wear a thick jacket, or bring some padding for your shoulder if you're still using the stock buttplate.  She won't kick much, but it'll be enough to leave some bruises if you aren't used to longer rifles :p

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
@MannDude - How much are the rounds for Mosin's?

Francisco
 http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-653 <-- $90 for 440 rounds, before shipping.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=607

I don't think Wal-Mart stocks 7.62X54R but I'll check when I get my groceries (They usually have the other stuff in stock that I look for). I've not had to buy any as the guy who sold me my Mosin through in a case of 20 and I've not been to the range yet.

My local shop will have some for sure, though pricing will be a few dollars more per box compared to what Cheaper Than Dirt sells them for. I doubt they stock surplus spam cans of it though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nick

The most common weapon I use.

IW Steyr with short barrel and M203 grenade launcher. Perfect for moving around in vehicles and demolishing everything and anything :D

A6.png

Double tap 5.56mm to 40mm grenade up to 400m.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/AMM-653 <-- $90 for 440 rounds, before shipping.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ProductListing.aspx?catid=607

I don't think Wal-Mart stocks 7.62X54R but I'll check when I get my groceries (They usually have the other stuff in stock that I look for). I've not had to buy any as the guy who sold me my Mosin through in a case of 20 and I've not been to the range yet.

My local shop will have some for sure, though pricing will be a few dollars more per box compared to what Cheaper Than Dirt sells them for. I doubt they stock surplus spam cans of it though.
My local Academy store carries 7,62x,54 - but they want 10$ for 20 brass.  If you're fine with spending the time to clean your rifle after firing surplus rounds, you can get the same ammunition linked above in packs of 20 if you don't want to drop 90$ at once.  You do have to be very thorough cleaning with surplus rounds though - the powder has a non-congealant mixed in (which is why they're labeled corrosive), and will rust the hell out of your barrel if not cleaned out.

Jonathan

Woohoo
Administrator
Verified Provider
The most common weapon I use.

IW Steyr with short barrel and M203 grenade launcher. Perfect for moving around in vehicles and demolishing everything and anything :D

A6.png

Double tap 5.56mm to 40mm grenade up to 400m.
Steyr's factory is about 20 minutes from our office B)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
Yay! Range day tomorrow. I'm a little worried though, because now the word has spread wide and far that the local range is now officially back open.

When I went two weeks ago, it was one day after it was re-opened and no one really knew yet so it was empty. Someone I know who went today, during normal people's working hours said it was packed as hell.

And I'm going on a Saturday, where most people have off work... So hopefully I don't have to stand around and wait for a lane to open up. I really want to shoot my Mosin and get the iron sights on my AR zeroed in. (And as always, put a few magazines through my carry piece)

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
The range was packed like crazy today. Didn't even take the gear out of the car.

Well, time to join the gun club in the county next to mine and pay annual dues to use a private outdoor range!

Feel a little bit like Dale Gribble.

DaleGribble.jpg

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
The range was packed like crazy today. Didn't even take the gear out of the car.
I hear ya! Been trying to get out to my range but the weather has been complete shit and I am not about to go shooting my guns out in the cold and rain.

Well, time to join the gun club in the county next to mine and pay annual dues to use a private outdoor range!

Feel a little bit like Dale Gribble.
5dT7i4m.png

msp - nick

Verified Provider
I don't get why America is such a gun nation; in UK we do have guns but rarely used - and you cannot simply just walk into a shop like you can in America and buy one.

MannDude

Just a dude
vpsBoard Founder
I don't get why America is such a gun nation; in UK we do have guns but rarely used - and you cannot simply just walk into a shop like you can in America and buy one.
We have rights that are protected by our constitution. Our right to bear arms was deemed important enough by our founders that it came only second to our first amendment, which is the right to free speech.

Of course, America isn't the wild-west stereotype that many people around the world may believe it is. Are there a lot of guns here? Of course. Many people do indeed own them, both good people who acquired them legally and bad people who have acquired them illegally. In America, there are still a very large percentage of people who are anti-gun as well and believe that only the police and military should have them. (Which I obviously disagree with)

You can't expect every nation in the world to have uniform laws, culture, and points of view. Different strokes for different folks. :)

ChrisM

Cocktail Enthusiast
Verified Provider
Saw these and thought it might be the perfect place to post them. :)

i5zdAeJ.jpgwNAcAVf.jpg

amuck-landowner