amuck-landowner

update on $1 per year vps idea (32MB Club)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kcaj

You really, *really* need to read the entirety of this thread (and other threads he's opened) before even considering doing business with him.  Get a clear picture of who you'll be dealing with - and keep in mind that he's not ESL.  The kid's British, and almost 18 - yes, his literacy is actually that lacking.
Is that a criticism?  ;)

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
No, pointing out that English is his native (and only) language.  If you stop to consider that when reading most of his posts, it's rather scary that anyone is taking him seriously.

What still intrigues me, though - maybe one post out of 20 or so is almost grammatically flawless.  A bit rambling, but fully coherent with accurate spelling and punctuation.  Someone posited the idea that there were multiple people using his account - the more I see of that, the more I start to feel the same way.

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
Not as much overselling as you think.

Our idea is to pass the saving to the end user directly.

I tell you something about 30% of users do not even open they VPS details emails.

Our idea for 32mb club is simple and cheap.

We monitor the profomence of the node 2 times a day.

Our public uptime report: http://uptime.statuscake.com/?TestID=r6oIYH88lI
August 6th.

We want to branch out and prove cheap does not mean crap.

We run on our own code of morals that we will not overload a server to the point of crashing and we care about every user who goes with our service and we do not see our users as a number but as a person.
Ok how many people are you planning on putting on a single node before it's "full"?

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
We are planning around 500 people per node.
 Ok you claim you're not overselling.

Lets put this in concrete numbers.

Your using the KS-4 plan from Kimsufi in their BHS location.  This specific server has the following specs:

4x 3.1GHz (Max of 3.8 GHz)

16 GB RAM

1 TB HDD (only a single hard drive mind you)

100 Mbps unmetered

You stated that you have a maximum of 500 clients per server at the following plan:

1 Core

32 MB RAM

1.5 GB Storage

No port speed information

Now recall your previous statement that 30% of your customers don't even use it at all (assumed by the fact that 30% does not even open the e-mail as stated by you).  This leaves about 350 clients who actually open it up and use it.

Now provisioning wise, you obviously provision the proper VMs, so we're going to assume the unused VMs are still taking up "RAM and HDD Space" (because it's provisioned for them, used or not)

32 MB * (1 GB/1024 MB) * 500 Clients = 15.625 GB RAM Provisioned

1.5 GB * 500 Clients = 750 GB Provisioned

1 Core * 500 Clients = 500 Cores (oh wait... shared use!) = 4 Cores clocked at... lets say benefit of the doubt 3.8 GHz

Well... we forgot fair use for the CPU!

4 Cores * (3.8 GHz/1 Core) * (1024 MHz/1 GHz) / 500 Clients = 31.13 MHz per client

So each client theoretically gets 31.13 MHz per core.

But hey, remember only 30% of them actually use it.  

4 Cores * (3.8 GHz/1 Core) * (1024 MHz/1 GHz) / 350 Clients = (31.13 MHz per client)/0.7 = 44.5 MHz per Client

Wow that's 13.37 MHz MORE per person!  

Now remember, we have 100 Mbps port speed.  But again fair use and with that much client density...

100 Mbps * (1024 Kbps/1 Mbps) / 350 Clients = 292.57 Kbps per VM!  Or more than twice the speed of dialup! (assuming Dialup speed is around 110 Kbps)

Now remember that one hard drive!  Meh, we'll be generous and give you 100 MB/s for your IO Benchmarks (even though Kimsufis themselves are mostly on recycled hard drives).  

100 MB/s * (1024 KB/s/1 MB/s) / 350 Clients = 292.57 KB/s IO

But what does that even mean?  Well here's a lovely picture of a parrot I found on imgur!

http://imgur.com/gallery/3tsf3eu

The picture itself is 1.32 MB big!  That means it'll take 4.62 seconds for it to write and read from the hard drive.  But wait, we also want to service it on the internet!  That's another 4.62 seconds!  

But lets say we're not interested in sending pictures of parrots, and have other needs that needs to be met.  Well lets see how long it takes for us to write onto the hard drive space!

1.5 GB would take 1.5 hours to fill at a network port speed (and IO speed) of 292.57 KB/s.  

Look, you're not actually overselling on hard drive space, nor RAM (well... you are technically overselling it because the OS itself also needs room), but you are terribly overselling the CPU, the IO, and the network bandwidth.  

@mtwiscoolyou are overselling your services.

Edit: I realized I forgot to convert from bits to bytes. But whatever.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
The sad thing is - even faced with mathmatical and proven truths.. he will simply pretend the logic does not exist, and continue to claim that his embarrassing facade is legit and contains any shred of quality.

mojeda

Just a reminder to keep things civil. This should probably be said every other page or so.
If this is having to be said every other page then maybe a solution be put in place.

A chunk of your community is tired of this guy's posts and his crap here, yet you guys seem to be babying him.

I'm not trying to be rude to anyone but why should we have to put up with his crap, if he is participating in this community. If he doesn't like it here he should not be here. People in this thread are talking like they are because it is justified. People have tried to help him and he refuses to listen so he will be treated the way he is.

I'm sorry but this whole thing is a complete joke, I don't get why the staff here are protecting him so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
amuck-landowner