amuck-landowner

What Backup Software Do YOU Use?

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
cPremote has the cPanel plugin for customers but it rarely works as intended - I've got more support tickets "help, backup won't restore" than "thank god you have backup, I really appreciate it!" Let me rephrase that: I don't know of a single incident where anybody was actually happy with cPremote, myself or my customer(s) included. And, it was a b*tch to set up.

Enough bashing of the useless product. But I will figure something out! Bacula4Hosts seems promising if not somewhat convoluted of a pricing scheme. Wish they offered it on LicensePal, then it would actually make sense LOL.

As you have said nothing concerning what does not work for you...  It makes me wonder.  You also claim it is hard to setup...?  Seriously?  Copy and paste to install and fill in backup site information?

I do agree, please don't hate on a product because you can't make it work.  I've personally not had 1 customer ticket relating to issues with cpremote.

Licensepal and bacula?  Good luck.  They do not need licensepal to handle any advertising for them.  Bacula is a big boy in the backup scene.  You will never see lower pricing then you have seen on their site.  I have personally spoke with developers of bacula and they cannot offer lower pricing.  I do not know how private the information was I was given so this is all I will say.

@dano, bacula does offer a bare metal restore.  I have personally used it.

nunim

VPS Junkie
... Licensepal and bacula?  Good luck.  They do not need licensepal to handle any advertising for them.  Bacula is a big boy in the backup scene.  You will never see lower pricing then you have seen on their site.  I have personally spoke with developers of bacula and they cannot offer lower pricing.  I do not know how private the information was I was given so this is all I will say...
I thought Bacula was free ? I've never used it personally, I stick to rsync for my personal backups.  God love Nick_A and his 50 GB of storage on a 128 plan :)

MCH-Phil

Verified Provider
I sucked at typing that. :) Let me try again. Distinguishing products this time.

... Licensepal and bacula4hosts? Good luck. They do not need licensepal to handle any advertising for them. bacula4hosts is a big boy in the backup scene. You will never see lower pricing then you have seen on their site. I have personally spoke with developers of bacula4hosts and they cannot offer lower pricing. I do not know how private the information was I was given so this is all I will say...

@Shove, take my post as, what are you having issue with as far as cpremote. If you want real alternatives / assistance, this is the best way to get it. What don't you like about the software, specifically.

Bacula and Bacula4Hosts contain bare metal restore options.

Last edited by a moderator:

shovenose

Verified Provider
Using incremental backup, rsync, SCP, and BackBlaze, in that order. So I have four copies of everything.

BuzzzHost

We have been using R1Soft plus in house scripting using RSync commands with FTP servers in remote locations. The key is to get the client to run personal backups of their data so that you can focus on retaining your systems important files and data. It is always good to keep disaster recovery backups for any random situations however I am just saying, you'd be surprised how many people simply don't backup their data as we receive ticket after ticket of people who needs their website restored.

Icevirt

I use backupninja wrapper with duplicity. It exports my databases, as well as uses gpg encryption, then uses duplicity to put into my Dropbox folder. So I guess in the end using r sync with some pretty wrappers for easy configs

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

rsk

Verified Provider
rsync here too, but if you have spare cash lying around go for r1soft. One of the best :)

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
I am using tarsnap for my servers. Data is encrypted on client side (client code is open source) and then stored on Amazon's servers. It is pretty light weight, so you can use it also on Raspberry Pi and other low powered ARM devices.
Tarsnap is awesome but expensive.  I use it for a few critical things (my PasswordSafe files, etc.)

I wrote an article for Linux Journal about it: http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/tarsnap-line-backups-truly-paranoid

Got to interview Dr. Percival - great guy.

raindog308

vpsBoard Premium Member
All this talk of rsync makes me nervous.  But I suppose it depends on what you want.

rsync is fine if you just want another copy.

Personally, I want to be able to go back in time. Something goes haywire on Friday and I don't discover it until Monday.  I want to be able to go back to Friday, not be stuck with a perfect copy of the haywire.  May not even be the whole system - just to be able to pull a "last known good" config file or DB dump from a few days ago.

And remember kids...pull from the backup, don't push from the client.  If your server is hacked, you don't want the attacker to also nuke your backups.  

shovenose

Verified Provider
All this talk of rsync makes me nervous.  But I suppose it depends on what you want.

Personally, I want to be able to go back in time. Something goes haywire on Friday and I don't discover it until Monday.  I want to be able to go back to Friday, not be stuck with a perfect copy of the haywire.  May not even be the whole system - just to be able to pull a "last known good" config file or DB dump from a few days ago.

And remember kids...pull from the backup, don't push from the client.  If your server is hacked, you don't want the attacker to also nuke your backups.  
Pushing from the client, manually, forced to enter a password, is perfectly safe.

Last edited by a moderator:

RHServices

Verified Provider
Same here, we use R1Soft/Idera to backup customer dedicated servers as well as all of our VPS infrastructure. Never had a problem in 2-3 years of usage. Saved our ass many times, well worth the price and ease of use

tonyg

rsync with the backup option will move changed/deleted files to a dated directory and give you the ability to go back to a file that was changed at a certain date in the past.

amuck-landowner