amuck-landowner

What was your first computer?

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
Hey Guys / Ladies,

As the title states, "what was your first computer"?

To reveal my age, the first computer I ever used was an Apple IIE in school. I played load runner and oregon trail on it and they had very basic graphics and learning programs on it.

My first home computer was a Commodore 64. I designed my first graphics and did my first coding on it. Anyone remember paper-boy?

5n1p

First I had "pecom", I think it was spelled like this, and few years after that Commodore 64 :)

WebSearchingPro

VPS Peddler
Verified Provider
Jeeze, hard to remember back that far.

I believe my first computer was a Windows 3.1 machine, That's about all can remember. Scrapped it about 3 years ago.

ThePrimeHost

Verified Provider
I remember the 3.1 followed by 95, 98, 2000, xp, vista, 7 and now 8 (plus NT for your fellow network admins)

wdq

Quade
I'm younger, and my parents were never all that tech savvy, so my first home computer was an old Dell Dimensions system with a Pentium III processor clocked at around 800MHz, 256MB of RAM, and a 20GB hard drive. I still have all of the parts other than the case. Last time I checked the system still worked, but that was a few years ago. It came with Windows 98.

mikho

Not to be taken seriously, ever!
I had a commadore 64 as my first computer with a cassette player. :)

My first PC was 386 sx 25 with 40 MB drive.

fapvps

Verified Provider
Celeron 333 + 128KB Cache

40 MB of RAM (8 allocated to the on-board SiS graphics card)

3.1 GB Hard Drive

By some unknown obscure brand

Redhat Linux 6.2 + Gnome with Enlightenment as a windows manager ran perfectly. I never had a better desktop experience after that.

pcan

The first one in the family was a Commodore 64, but I started to use a computer more often with the Commodore Amiga. I built a dial-up 300 baud modem and used it to connect to the local university System 370 IBM mainframe, borrowing the account of a friend. The mainframe operating system was VM/CMS and I used it because it was connected to Bitnet. I often used the listserv, trickle and relay features - this was before the widespread internet availability.

Last edited by a moderator:

sleddog

8086 processor
Dual 5-1/4 floppies
No harddrive
12" monochrome ('amber') monitor
PC-DOS (an IBM release, pre-Windows)
WordPerfect
Ventura Publisher
dBase

Later got a 10MB harddrive and a copy of Windows 2.0, installed it and toasted the system. Took 2 days to recover.

Later still, downloaded ~5 Slackware floppy disk images from a BBS (pre-Internet), got it installed and booted. Spent a week staring at the command prompt and trying things ('dir' worked...).

Then got a trip to the big city, found a bookstore and bought a Learning Linux book. All was revealed.

Last edited by a moderator:

happel

An AMD 486 running at 40mhz with 4mb memory (upgraded to 20mb at a later point), a 400mb harddrive, some trident isa graphics and of course a 14" color monitor.

The computer itself is recycled, but I still have the cpu somewhere :)

danni

Found my reciept

548242_2985189143955_2059919387_n.jpg

amuck-landowner