amuck-landowner

Your highest uptime servers

gxbfxvar

Honestly, atleast every 6-12 months you should be rebooting to perform updates to your kernel / modules anyway. There is usually major updates that require a restart anyway (e.g Debian's kernel FUSE interface changes this year).

When ever I see uptimes of 180+ days, all I think of is the security nightmare / out of date system. Thats not to say an uptime of 60-90 days isn't necessarily a measure of quality. I would rather my VPS / server be up to date and secure, than having a slightly higher uptime.
My OpenBSD 5.3 dedicated server at EDIS.at had 360d uptime when I upgraded it to 5.5. OpenBSD rarely has remotely (or even locally) exploitable kernel bugs, so as long as you don't allow other users on your server, you can avoid rebooting quite long time.

Current uptime is "only" 157 days:

openbsd1 $ uptime

9:59PM  up 157 days, 22:33, 1 user, load averages: 0.06, 0.30, 0.66

openbsd1 $

TheLinuxBug

@Jonny_Evorack I appreciate your participation in this thread, however, regardless of how hard you are trying to cover your butt, it doesn't effect the fact that there have been issues on your platform recently which you don't seem to want to fess up to.  All I really wanted from you was something along the lines of, "Hey, yes we have had some issues and there has been some unexpected network outages and issues which we are currently working through and we hope to have thing fixed soon".  However, instead of something like this, you continue to suggest to me that these issues are some how my fault or don't even want to be honest with me and admit they are happening.  The fact is, the server has not be very good recently.  A few weeks back the server I am on had something up with it to the effect that after a very long uptime, I was forced to reboot my server to bring my services back online and the first few times I even attempted this in the control panel it failed. Along with that, there have been ongoing intermittent network issues both on IPv4 and IPv6, in fact if you review that thread again on LET you will see that 5/12 people stated they had network issues with their server, this is almost 50% of the people who answered the poll, I hardly call this 'no one else'.   

This has not always been the case with your service, in fact, if you review my past comments on both LET and vpsBoard you will see I have usually been your biggest advocate.   However, when you don't even have enough respect for me as your customer to admit there is any type of issue, I start to lose respect for you and your business.  I was hoping bringing things to light in public would help you understand this, but apparently, not so much. I will continue to state my opinions wherever applicable, if you don't like it, fix the service!  Then I will once again have good reason to praise you and your company, like I have in the past, many times.  However, continuing to follow me around and try to put out fires by posting in the thread that I don't want to open a ticket every time I lose IPv6 connectivity or IPv4 connectivity, to wait about 8-12 hours for you to tell me there is no issue that you have seen and that it is my fault, is a pretty pitiful way to fix the issue.  Instead, I ask that you simply fix the issues with your service and then you will no longer have to worry about what I will say, because if you can continue to provide me the standard of service which I have come to expect in the past, I will be happy to sing your praises from the roof top.

Sorry for derailing this thread everyone, but his response in the thread deserved a response and not to just be ignored.

Here is hoping you find some time to look into the recent issues and get things fixed @Jonny_Evorack!

Cheers!

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
I stopped caring about uptime.   Reboots should and better happen as-is today where major updates and security patches require such.

I just expect downtime to be brief, ideally scheduled and for real reasons.  Oh yeah and such downtime planned during low usage time in the region the server is.  (I see a good amount of people abroad running companies and doing work on their schedule and ignoring the reboots during peak times).  I've always been fond of maintenance at like 3-7AM in whatever timezone the server is.

Unexplained network blips (common in lowend world) I don't tolerate.   DDoS excuses, I run from.

Cause you know, a server with power doesn't matter where ping and network are hosed routinely....

Jonny_Evorack

Verified Provider
@TheLinuxBug - Are you ignoring what I'm saying? How can I possibly admit to having network issues when we aren't aware of any?

As I've stated, many times, I'm not saying it's your fault, and I'm not discounting you, all I'm saying is that you have to open a ticket when you have issues with the date/time of what went wrong, so I can look further into it.

Stating that you had issues "over the past few months" doesn't really help, I'm afraid.

Also, have you disabled stateless-autoconfiguration on your VPS? As I've also said, this can cause the issues you mention.

Thanks

Jonny

fusa

Verified Provider
On 9september: shutdown of an old servers with IDE drives....

Code:
19:49:39 up 1449 days, 8:03, 1 user, load average: 0.24, 0.18, 0.14

ZweiTiger

On 9september: shutdown of an old servers with IDE drives....

19:49:39 up 1449 days, 8:03, 1 user, load average: 0.24, 0.18, 0.14
Amazing.. and your website fast as a gepard :D. Bravo

Online.net 44 day

Digitalocean: 30 day

Hosthatch: 67 day

And counting : P

willie

I haven't seen a security patch (Debian) in a while that required a reboot.  Did I miss any?

My current uptimes:

Prometeus 128MB KVM:  up 853 days, 14:54

It has had 0 downtime since I got it a couple years ago.  On the other hand I haven't done much with it.

Inceptionhosting 128MB Xen PV: up 442 days,  6:44

Got it a couple years ago, I think it's been down twice, once for a disk failure and once for a planned server move.  Duration of both outages was nontrivial.  But other than that it's been very solid.

OVH SP16 dedicated server: 516 days, 20:02

0 downtime since I got it.

I had another OVH dedicated server that stayed up for about as long, but I cancelled it after migrating to the SP16.  I've now migrated the SP16 data to a Hetzner ST34 and am about to let the SP16 expire (anyone want it, PM me).

Worst: OVH OpenVZ VPS (slabbed under vmware): several random reboots in the 1 month that I had it.

I noticed the comment earlier about suspending a VPS while the host has a reboot.  I know that's done with OpenVZ all the time, but does it happen with KVM or Xen?

I want to stop requireing reliable servers to keep services running, so I'm looking into cheap high availability solutions.  The OVH infrastructure CDN looks attractive (thanks to the IRC user who alerted me to it) and I think Cloudflare has something similar that costs more.  Basically you get an anycast IP routed to a dozen or so locations at the same time.  The CDN servers run reverse proxies to up to ten of your own servers (more if you pay extra) and they have an API so you can add and remove backends easily, such as from your automated monitoring stuff.  So you eliminate all single points of failure through the magic of anycast: static routes going to multiple servers at the same time.  Unfortunately you need a /24 address block to do it.  I wish it were possible to route single addresses and do stuff like that with VPS's.

Last edited by a moderator:

LimestoneNetworks

Verified Provider
Honestly, atleast every 6-12 months you should be rebooting to perform updates to your kernel / modules anyway. There is usually major updates that require a restart anyway (e.g Debian's kernel FUSE interface changes this year).

When ever I see uptimes of 180+ days, all I think of is the security nightmare / out of date system. Thats not to say an uptime of 60-90 days isn't necessarily a measure of quality. I would rather my VPS / server be up to date and secure, than having a slightly higher uptime.
Unless you're running Ksplice.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
OVH SP16 dedicated server: 516 days, 20:02

0 downtime since I got it.

I had another OVH dedicated server that stayed up for about as long, but I cancelled it after migrating to the SP16.
My OVH servers only get rebooted when they release a new production kernel (ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/ )...last new one was 3.10.23-3 on March 18th.  Their servers are cheap but they're also some of the most reliable servers I've ever rented.

Last edited by a moderator:

HalfEatenPie

The Irrational One
Retired Staff
My OVH servers only get rebooted when they release a new production kernel (ftp://ftp.ovh.net/made-in-ovh/bzImage/ )...last new one was 3.10.23-3 on March 18th.  Their servers are cheap but they're also some of the most reliable servers I've ever rented.
Unfortunately anal to deal with their support.

or even getting the account verification taken care of with.  

I previously verified my account with them.  But once they separated OVH accounts and Kimsufi accounts, they wanted me to verify it with them again.  I stopped using them.  

amuck-landowner