amuck-landowner

24khost, where are you?

drmike

100% Tier-1 Gogent
Understood @devonblzx.   Bad position to be in.   Keep up the good work and chin up through the rough time here.

24khost had some interesting low cost promos that I believe were popular.  Unsure how many folks still have those accounts.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
We had only arranged to takeover their VPS clientele.  24khost has ceased operations, so unfortunately, you already were dropped as a customer.  We only got everything back up for November so their clients weren't left in the dark.  The web server will be shut down in December.

DeanClinton

Ok - does anyone know how I can get my money back? It was a may when I signed up and paid via PayPal.

Last edited by a moderator:

XFS_Duke

XFuse Solutions, LLC
Verified Provider
DeanClinton,

I'm not sure if you can do much as I think their dispute option only gives you 90 days? Not sure, never had to deal with that.

Not sure how else you'll be able to get the money back.

clarity

Did you pay with a credit card through PayPal? If so, call your bank and initiate a chargeback for services not received.

24/7/365

Verified Provider
nah it was via bank transfer. even if i disputed the payment that way, wouldn't it put my paypal account into the minus?
I believe a chargeback via your credit card company will result in your PayPal account being shut down for good.

24/7/365

Verified Provider
@24/7/365 - is that you JJ?
All I can say is don't file a chargeback against me as I need the money to evade my creditors...

...I'm kidding.

Alas, I'm not JJ. Although this thread is an interesting read, I have no stake in this so I don't want to add confusion. Just figured I should mention you'll lose your PP account if you chargeback from your Visa company so it's only worth doing if it's a large enough sum of money to warrant losing the convenience of PP.

clarity

I believe a chargeback via your credit card company will result in your PayPal account being shut down for good.
This is not true. I have done it before when I was not delivered a web site that I paid for. I won the case through my credit card company, and Paypal took the money back from the guy.

24/7/365

Verified Provider
This is not true. I have done it before when I was not delivered a web site that I paid for. I won the case through my credit card company, and Paypal took the money back from the guy.
Paypal didn't close your account down? May I ask what country you're in?

Patrick

INIZ.COM
Verified Provider
nah it was via bank transfer. even if i disputed the payment that way, wouldn't it put my paypal account into the minus?
It shouldn't, it simply opens a dispute to the seller and if you're bank claims the money back then PayPal will claim it from the seller with no chance to win.

Aldryic C'boas

The Pony
Paypal didn't close your account down? May I ask what country you're in?
He's either US or CA.  I've done the same (currently residing in the US); except that I notified PayPal of what I was doing in advance.  They thanked me for the update, and kept me in the loop on how the case was handled.

devonblzx

Verified Provider
I highly doubt that, especially in the US.  Even large merchants like PayPal have to abide by Visa and Mastercard policies, I do believe they would run into issues if they were causing problems for users who file for chargebacks through appropriate measures.

Slownode

Well my stuff is running off rockmyweb.net now, it works, although rockmyweb's site is currently bare.

Soo are 24k services going to transition into similar rockmyweb services at some point?

modmanmatt

i used papypal to dispute the charge since i just payed 3 weeks ago... takes about 2 weeks to get refund but it will come through and wont go messing up your account i think its better to go through Paypal instead of the credit card company even though it may take longer it wont cause any issues 

devonblzx

Verified Provider
Dear Former 24KHost Clients,

As you were notified before, 24KHost has gone out of business. We had managed to keep your services online as 24KHost ceased operations, but unfortunately, 24KHost did not provide us with notice or a lot of information about the services prior to us having to step in to keep your services running. There has been some confusion with some clients as to our role in this matter. I will attempt to clarify this a bit.

We were notified at the end of October that they would no longer be able to continue operations and had been asked if we were willing to keep VPS service running for their customers. Very soon after, it came to our attention that a large number of users had been offline for several days without notice from 24KHost. In order to save users from more downtime, we were forced to step in, before we would have liked, to get users back online not giving us time to properly review specifications of 24KHost's services.

Now, as we have taken time to review the services they were attempting to provide before their business ceased operations, we have discovered many users who:

1. Were on an unrealistic plan with specifications that would lead to net losses.
  2. Had prepaid for a long period of time and still had a majority of their time left with no refund or notice from 24KHost.
  3. Had a combination of the both.

We are doing our best to honor existing packages but unfortunately it does not make business sense for us to provide future service at a loss, especially with prepaid plans that we are providing for free until the next recurring date as we received no compensation. Thus we have to made some modifications to plans in order to make them viable. While you may not agree with our modifications, they are necessary for us. We have been able to be in business for seven years by providing affordable, yet realistic, plans to consumers. As you can see from the history of this business, many hosts that offer the very cheap plans often have issues with business continuation.

I had tried to contact the owner of 24KHost to discuss options for customers who had a long time left on their account, billing credits in their account, and customers who had questions about the quick disappearance of 24KHost but had no success in communication in November.   Please note that we are not affiliated with 24KHost and none of your payments to them ever came to us.  I suggest if you did prepay and are not satisfied with our continuation offer, that you attempt to get your money back.

So as a note to VPSBoard users and former 24KHost clients, many that may have signed up for one of the "amazing" offers will receive the unfortunate news that we will not be able to continue to provide the plan at the given price or specifications.   I hope users do not take this out on RockMyWeb as we were only doing our best to keep servers online that would have otherwise been offline and left in the dark if we had not stepped in.

amuck-landowner