amuck-landowner

ARIN Stock Changes Feb 2014 - Down to 1.38

coreyman

Verified Provider
I guess now would be the time to make an ASN and get an allocation if I ever want one.
You don't need an ASN, you can provide your datacenter's.

The process took us a month and a half just very recently - and it was a rigorously detailed process. As long as you have justification you will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:

Setsura

You don't need an ASN, you can provide your datacenter's.

The process took us a month and a half just very recently - and it was a rigorously detailed process. As long as you have justification you will be fine.
Yeah I do that now, however I figure having my own would be better if I ever wanted to move around and generally just have them fully associated with me. I'm not really worried about justification, I believe my need to be justified by their policies, I just didn't want to bother with the ASN process, it seemed like a pain. Still does.

I may just have to suck it up and go fill out forms, probably should do it before it is harder to get an allocation.

coreyman

Verified Provider
Yeah I do that now, however I figure having my own would be better if I ever wanted to move around and generally just have them fully associated with me. I'm not really worried about justification, I believe my need to be justified by their policies, I just didn't want to bother with the ASN process, it seemed like a pain. Still does.

I may just have to suck it up and go fill out forms, probably should do it before it is harder to get an allocation.
They are in fact fully associated with you - it doesn't matter what the ASN is. You can move them around without trouble. If you have your own ASN you will have to do your own BGP and you'll need more expensive hardware.

Setsura

They are in fact fully associated with you - it doesn't matter what the ASN is. You can move them around without trouble. If you have your own ASN you will have to do your own BGP and you'll need more expensive hardware.
Wasn't totally sure on moving them, haven't needed to do that, at least that is nice. Still isn't very "pretty" I'd say when someone looks up your IPs and sees them associated to your DC, and not your own ASN. As far as doing my own BGP, and the hardware cost, I'm not concerned, funding it out of my pocket is fine to me.

I suppose my reasoning for getting an ASN is currently somewhat petty. But at least if I ever want to get contracts directly with some ISPs I might be ahead by having the ASN part done.

coreyman

Verified Provider
Wasn't totally sure on moving them, haven't needed to do that, at least that is nice. Still isn't very "pretty" I'd say when someone looks up your IPs and sees them associated to your DC, and not your own ASN. As far as doing my own BGP, and the hardware cost, I'm not concerned, funding it out of my pocket is fine to me.

I suppose my reasoning for getting an ASN is currently somewhat petty. But at least if I ever want to get contracts directly with some ISPs I might be ahead by having the ASN part done.
You're talking lots of money there. I'd suggest starting simple. That is the last of my suggestions here on this thread because it seems like we are hijacking it.

Setsura

You're talking lots of money there. I'd suggest starting simple. That is the last of my suggestions here on this thread because it seems like we are hijacking it.
Right, I appreciate the advise, and it is indeed good advise. I probably would take it if I was a smarter guy, but I'd have no issue buying the required hardware, I'm perfectly willing to spend 15k+ usd on some okay gear if I have to. And yeah, we are hijacking it a bit, sorry about that.

DomainBop

Dormant VPSB Pathogen
Slightly off topic, or maybe not...what is ARIN's policy when the company (a Wyoming LLC) that is listed as the owner of an ASN with 21,504 IPs is marked by the state as "inactive - administratively dissolved (tax)" for failure to pay its taxes?  Company in question has been listed as inactive by the state since last September.

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
Slightly off topic, or maybe not...what is ARIN's policy when the company (a Wyoming LLC) that is listed as the owner of an ASN with 21,504 IPs is marked by the state as "inactive - administratively dissolved (tax)" for failure to pay its taxes?  Company in question has been listed as inactive by the state since last September.
"ARIN's longstanding business practice is to require any organization registering with ARIN in order to request Internet number resources, to be an active business entity legally formed within the ARIN service region."

source: https://www.arin.net/resources/request/org.html

Though it doesn't mention anything about what happens if the business would become disolved after registering

rds100

Verified Provider
"ARIN's longstanding business practice is to require any organization registering with ARIN in order to request Internet number resources, to be an active business entity legally formed within the ARIN service region."

source: https://www.arin.net/resources/request/org.html
But it says "to request resources", not "to keep using previously given resources". I guess as long as the annual fee is paid to ARIN they don't care.

Awmusic12635

Verified Provider
But it says "to request resources", not "to keep using previously given resources". I guess as long as the annual fee is paid to ARIN they don't care.
Though technically a disolved entitiy cannot legally do any business. Since ARIN require U.S. based business registration if the U.S. based company was disolved (even if registered in another country) wouldn't the business between ARIN and the disolved U.S. entity not be allowed? It is certainly an interesting question. Either way I doubt ARIN would care.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
ASN's aren't going to run out so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

You can get a new 4 byte ASN which allows an ASN up to ~4 billion entries. Granted, if you're peering with legacy gear that doesn't support this it could be an issue, but generally it shouldn't be an issue.

Francisco

rds100

Verified Provider
A lot of deletions today and the stock went from 0.32 to 0.34. Maybe these were the networks of people who didn't pay their annual ARIN fee?

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
I think it was a miscalculation to be honest.

There wasn't enough space allocated out these past 2 weeks to justify it falling 0.04 - 0.05 like it did.

Delete's are 'returns' I think or things like internal ARIN/RIR blocks getting put back to pool.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
With that being said, a /15 was in the 'remove' pile - 157.52.0.0 -> 157.53.255.255.

Pre-ARIN space given ARIN's comment about looking to validate the POC information they had on file.

Francisco

john

Verified Provider
It's possible they're counting the /10 ARIN has set aside for CGNAT? Was it lower on that site before? It's also possible ARIN got more space from the IANA.

Francisco
Used to match ARIN counter. I thought the counter on ARIN (.31 currently) reflected the /10, while the ARIN inventory does not. 

Edit: I'm wrong.

rds100

Verified Provider
Microsoft just got some huge network (a /11 + /13 + /14). However it seems they bought it directly from Xeros so it didn't affect ARIN's stock. I wonder how much did they pay for these 3.5 million IPs.

amuck-landowner