amuck-landowner

ARIN Stock Changes Feb 2014 - Down to 1.38

SkylarM

Verified Provider
Minimum allocation requests are now at a /24, so I'd expect to see a pile of new companies requesting direct address spacing now as a result, which may speed the process up a bit.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Minimum allocation requests are now at a /24, so I'd expect to see a pile of new companies requesting direct address spacing now as a result, which may speed the process up a bit.
Oh you bastard I was just about to link that :p

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2014_13.html

TL;DR - You no longer have to have a minimum of a /20 SWIP'd to you if you're single homed or a minimum of a /23 if you're multihomed. It means anyone that wants IP space can request it.

Francisco

dcdan

Verified Provider
Great, so now every time we need to request resources the process will take even longer :popcorn:

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Great, so now every time we need to request resources the process will take even longer :popcorn:
You can already see the results of the run out happening in processing times. Turn around is about a week between replies and if you follow their issuing mailing list, you'll see lots of fairly long listings where they pump out a /16 or two worth of space on a pretty good basis.

I'm still waiting on some big movements (Amazon is my pick right now).

Francisco

rds100

Verified Provider
Oh you bastard I was just about to link that :p

https://www.arin.net/policy/proposals/2014_13.html

TL;DR - You no longer have to have a minimum of a /20 SWIP'd to you if you're single homed or a minimum of a /23 if you're multihomed. It means anyone that wants IP space can request it.

Francisco
The internet routing table already passed 512K routes, it wasn't so dramatic. The next limit is 1M, there will be much more drama when that limit is hit. A lot of cisco routers will be useless. But it will not be that soon, even with increased growth of small prefixes i think it is atleast 3-4 years away.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
The internet routing table already passed 512K routes, it wasn't so dramatic. The next limit is 1M, there will be much more drama when that limit is hit. A lot of cisco routers will be useless. But it will not be that soon, even with increased growth of small prefixes i think it is atleast 3-4 years away.
Routing table wasn't a big deal at 512K since anyone worried about a table that big was likely also fine using just a default route anyway. There were a few hosts I know of, liquidweb namely, that got side tracked which looks really bad on them.

the 1M mark will cause issues, though, because all the people that did long term planning went with 1M routes to not have to deal with the 512K problem.

Anyway, ARIN's probably got 10k more allocations to make (probably more like 5k), but you can expect geniuses to announce their entire /16 or bigger as /24's.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
- Microsoft's last request was in May ( http://whois.arin.net/rest/net/NET-104-40-0-0-1.html ) but I suspect they'll be out to request more before the years out (so get ready to kiss 10%+ away when that happens).
Not quite 10%, I figured they'd get something like a /11 or so.

With that being said, MSFT took a /13 today:

http://whois.domaintools.com/104.215.255.255

The front page totals don't show it yet but I figure it'll update and pull the numbers down quite a bit.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Been a while since this has been bumped but it seems ARIN is assigning, on average, a /16 to a /15 almost every business day.

I see more days with /16's being assign than not.

Total pool is at 0.59 and figure it'll be < 0.50 by the end of the month.

Francisco

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
How can I get myself one of them /16s? :p
Buy a company that doesn't have ARIN's and has a justifible use for a /16.

Even if you have a very fast burn rate ARIN is going to make you stick to the 'one size bigger' policy. If you haven't requested a block in the past like 6 months or so they actually reset you back down to a /22.

That happened to a lot of people and so they're now trying to get into the bigger ranges.

The next problem is that if your burn rate is too fast, ARIN is going to demand proof of hardware invoices that can justify the usage. You can't just show them an invoice for a half dozen hardware nodes and demand a /17, not going to happen.

Francisco

lowesthost

Verified Provider
The next problem is that if your burn rate is too fast, ARIN is going to demand proof of hardware invoices that can justify the usage
I had to give away my first born for the last allocation (sarcasm) they did not ask for receipts.   I will send her a text as she is out of the house living on your her own  " the ARIN police are coming to take you away" 

But now you can request a /24   :)

Nett

Article Submitter
Verified Provider
Another few large blocks gone:

104.208.0.0/13 => Microsoft Corporation

104.228.0.0/15 => Time Warner Cable Internet LLC

104.230.0.0/15 => Time Warner Cable Internet LLC

104.170.0.0/16 => Cerner Corporation

104.206.0.0/16 => Eonix Corporation / ServerHub

104.220.0.0/16 => Astound Broadband LLC

104.226.0.0/16 => Southern New England Telephone Company and SNET America, Inc.

104.227.0.0/16 => B2 Net Solutions Inc.

104.234.0.0/16 => Rcp.net

104.235.0.0/16 => Frontier Communications of America, Inc

104.236.0.0/16 => Digital Ocean, Inc.

104.240.0.0/16 => Frontier Communications of America, Inc.

160.3.0.0/16 => CABLE ONE, INC.

104.221.0.0/17 => Le Groupe Videotron Ltee

104.223.0.0/17 => QuadraNet, Inc

104.225.0.0/17 => Host Virtual, Inc

104.225.128.0/17 => VegasNAP, LLC

And countless /18's and /19's ...

rds100

Verified Provider
Charter Communications just got a nice Xmas present - /12 + /14 - over 1.3 million IPs. Interesting that the total counter on ARIN's website didn't update yet to reflect this.

Francisco

Company Lube
Verified Provider
Charter Communications just got a nice Xmas present - /12 + /14 - over 1.3 million IPs. Interesting that the total counter on ARIN's website didn't update yet to reflect this.
That should put them in the ~0.36 range I think? I think we're going to see an incredibly fast burn down on the last of that. Up next, Comcast & Amazon?

Francisco

amuck-landowner